2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications N57 Delete worth it?

01-02-2024, 03:37 PM   #1
bjackson1993
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535d

N57 Delete worth it?

First, I'd like to apologize if this post has been covered but I am looking for answers to my specific situation. If someone could link this thread to the one I'm looking for, please DM me directly.

I picked up a 2014 535d from a dealer in July with questionably low miles. (58k) From my understanding a 535d needs to be driven quite a bit, roughly 4 miles minimum just to not bog down the DPF system. It's Carfax made it seem like it wasn't doing much driving in so-cal after the pandemic. I had the car problem free for 6 months and ended up putting about 10k miles on it making multiple trips up and down the pacific coast. It is a delight to drive that far and 42mpg was astonishing.

Recently, I got the incorrect DEF fluid code and was given a gracious 200 mile range before it would not start. After taking it to the dealer, I was looking into what could possibly be the fault.. Build up crystalized def, faulty sensors, old fluid,... filters?? Ultimately the dealer replaced NOX sensors under warranty but that did not fix the issue. They requested I replace my SCR converter for a mild 3.5 grand . I added new def fluid from AutoZone (fresh, I checked the dates) 4 month's prior to all of this. It was around 600 miles range when that notice came on and shortly after adding, I made a 1200 mile run to the PNW. There is currently no check engine light just the code popping up on the OBD 32 miles left in the range. Saving it for a trip to the shop.

My question is this. I'm pretty screwed into 2 options right? 1. Replace the part and pray that fixes everything or 2. Do a delete on the emissions system. In my state I CAn't really accomplish that too easily but I found ways. Are there any immediate drawbacks to deleting? All I read are praises like power, economy, and reliability, but I am determined to find a CON such as fuel smell or excessive sound or smoke. I like a good exhaust, but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb and get a ticket. I'm a relatively quiet driver and have no desire to boost or do any crazy stage 2 nonsense.

Emissions inspections will be dealt with when the time comes, but can you do the delete and still keep the car relatively tame in terms of smoke or noise and smell? Are there any other issues that come up? I've been looking at RawTek's system that has a cat and resonator, would that be my best course of action? Are there different stages or level to this deleting system? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you for taking the time to read my first post.
Appreciate 0