2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Used MHD to Flash back to Stock: Now stuck in limp mode.

07-09-2020, 10:32 PM   #1
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

Used MHD to Flash back to Stock: Now stuck in limp mode.

IF YOU HAVE THE TIME TO READ THIS PLEASE DO SO. I truly need help here.... Recently decided to take my car to the dealership in order to find out my idling issue and I figured it would only make sense to remove my MHD tune so that it isn't the scapegoat when they try to put the finger on what's causing the idle issue. I used the "flash back to stock" option on MDH which completely removes all traces. Flashing process goes perfectly, car starts right up no problem and no codes are being thrown. the car can shift into drive, reverse, etc. The only problem is that when I put the car into drive and give it some gas the car starts jerking and doesn't allow me to go over 20 mph. Its like I'm in a limp mode but the car is acting if it's normal. I tried flashing it back with MHD and it worked fine and the car drove fine with the tune on it. I tried this whole process again to see if it was coincidental and it happened all over again. I can't put my finger on this idling issue for the life of me and this whole scenario is driving me crazy!

If anyone has any help or advice they can offer I would deeply appreciate it!

Thank You!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Make sure that you've contacted MHD too.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

Woah. So your car will only drive "normally" with the tune in place? Definitely contact MHD directly.
      07-10-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiBruin View Post
Woah. So your car will only drive "normally" with the tune in place? Definitely contact MHD directly.
That's what I'm doing right now. It takes them ages to respond.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just heard back from my trusted Indy mechanic. They say that they need to flash a brand new stock map to the car. Only problem is that I want the car tuned. I feel like if I flash the car back to stage 1 and then for whatever reason (need to take the car back to dealer/mechanic) and flash back to stock through mhd, that the corrupted stock map will be placed on the car I stead of the new and revised one. If that makes sense. MHD just keeps giving me half ass responses and it is getting frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 01:32 PM   #6
dakr14
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M Sport Touring

Bump! I’ve just had exactly the same issue happen tonight.

Previously, the car had been running perfectly and even did a run up the motorway earlier today. I’ve been running MHD stage 1 map.

However, After an oil change and a replacement of the blower motor I found a tuning box on my car. The Studie AG variable performance module. Kind of like the JB4 but a different make/ brand. After I found the tuning box I removed MHD by flashing back to stock via the MHD OBII reader and app. Battery on charge and waited until the process was finished/ completed.

Following this, I re-started the car, it sounded fine and everything appeared okay until I went to drive and the car started jerking. It wouldn’t exceed 20mph as listed above!

@david_Vasha did your indy flash the new stock map for you? If so how much did it cost/ how easy was it?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 05:52 PM   #7
Nixer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92, F10 LCI and F10 Pre-LCI

I have the same exact issue. Previous owner says he had MHD stage 2 tune with 93 fuel map, and restored to stock map. My car runs and idles fine, but goes into limp mode over 20 mph and starts shaking violently. Also I hear loud popping/banging noise with no throttle response.
I flashed the DME back to stock map and still have the same issue. There are absolutely no codes on ISTA.
I've so far replaced MAP sensor, MAF sensor, spark plugs and coil packs. Anything else I should check before throwing more money in to replace valve cover, injectors etc?
Appreciate 0