2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Car reviewers who are unfairly maligned...or praised?

04-22-2023, 02:11 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Car reviewers who are unfairly maligned...or praised?

This segment has a whole bunch of personalities, lemme get your $0.02 opinion. Here's mine

Jethro Bovington
Many ppl love this guy but I don't, something about him grates me, maybe cuz he sometimes has unreasonably scathing reviews just to be different? Or one time drove some Ferrari spider in the pouring rain w the top down for some unknown reason? Or that he looks like a pig? The guy is so contrived, I mean, even his freaking name looks fake. Jethro Tull. Ugh.

Chris Harris
Wow, he can drift. Whoopie-do. Gimme Steve Sutcliffe or Tiff or many others any day. So overrated.

Schmee
This guy has informative reviews, I'm generally fine w his videos but his parting shot w the stretched-out "Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers" is so annoying, like the equivalent of the Dean Scream (actually, much worse, no idea why the 'Scream' was a big deal back in the day, talk about sabotage by media).

Doug Demuro
I'm not expecting to get wicked roadtest reviews from this guy, I know what I'm in for, some car info and sometimes quirky insights. Ya, the guy is definitely unique and awkward but I dunno why he gets hate.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 04:31 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Been liking Davide Cironi channel
thought jay Leno did a very good Porsche gt3rs video a few weeks back.

Very hard to be consistent with quality work. The hobbies I like the channels on the subjects have really fallen the past few years.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2023, 04:49 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcoil View Post
Been liking Davide Cironi channel
thought jay Leno did a very good Porsche gt3rs video a few weeks back.

Very hard to be consistent with quality work. The hobbies I like the channels on the subjects have really fallen the past few years.
Ya, Davide's channel is pretty good, but he does come across as a wee bit tad cocky.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      04-22-2023, 07:25 PM   #4
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

VehicleVirgin.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 07:42 PM   #5
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Doug Demuro
I'm not expecting to get wicked roadtest reviews from this guy, I know what I'm in for, some car info and sometimes quirky insights. Ya, the guy is definitely unique and awkward but I dunno why he gets hate.
See I think he is unfairly praised. He is a terrible car reviewer. If you want a button by button tour of the car its great. If you actually want to know how it drives, just about anyone else is better.
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
Clark_Kent2208.00
      04-22-2023, 07:56 PM   #6
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I don't like JayEmm on Cars.
For instance when he made the review on the Lotus Emira, the word Evora fell more than the word Emira
He obviously drives an Evora and was more reviewing his own car than the car he was driving (the emira).
He's that kind of a reviewer.

Doug Demuro is obviously just as much a comedian as a car reviewer. If you don't think he's funny then automatically you find him an aweful reviewer
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 2
      04-22-2023, 07:59 PM   #7
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
See I think he is unfairly praised. He is a terrible car reviewer. If you want a button by button tour of the car its great. If you actually want to know how it drives, just about anyone else is better.
...but that's exactly what I'm saying I don't think anyone is praising him for his driving prowess, just that he may know some quirks about the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I don't like JayEmm on Cars.
For instance when he made the review on the Lotus Emira, the word Evora fell more than the word Emira
He obviously drives an Evora and was more reviewing his own car than the car he was driving (the emira).
He's that kind of a reviewer.
Ya, he was particularly grumpy in that video. He's alright but has a tinge of smug.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 10:32 PM   #8
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
Personally, I like him. I also don't consider him a car reviewer per say. I actually prefer his episodes where he "reviews" old and weird cars more so than newer stuff. When I'm on the computer and stop working to have some lunch or whatever nothing beats a Doug video where he goes over some old ass 1990s minivan. I watch it for entertainment not so much for info on a car I actually want to buy.

If I'm looking to actually buy a car I will look at reviews from more serious people who spend way more time driving the cars. Also other channels that go into all the details of the cars in much more depth than he does.

I would equate watching him to watching most of Top Gear. They spend like 80% of the show fucking around doing silly shit at maybe 20% doing real car reviews. He's the 80%.
Appreciate 3
Rocket455480.50
XMetal1096.50
Clark_Kent2208.00
      04-23-2023, 12:59 AM   #9
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Jason Camissa is entertaining as hell. May not be extremely informative, but damn he's got funny writers.

For sheer detailed information, you really can't beat the pair at savagegeese. But you gotta be ready to sit thru their engineering details.
Appreciate 5
      04-23-2023, 01:42 AM   #10
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Jason Camissa is entertaining as hell. May not be extremely informative, but damn he's got funny writers.

For sheer detailed information, you really can't beat the pair at savagegeese. But you gotta be ready to sit thru their engineering details.
Ya, I like those 2 channels. Jason had a really good video recently calling out ppl who want all-in-one vehicles and that's why we have those ridiculous 'sports SUVs'.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 07:33 PM   #11
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I think Cammissa is a bit overrated, but he also seems narcissistic asf so I just don't like the guy. Thinks his word is godsend.

Smaller channel but Raiti's rides irks me. Dude gives classic sleazy car salesman vibes, doesn't know anything about the products and spews corny takes and misinformation. Florida man gon Florida
Appreciate 3
      04-23-2023, 07:46 PM   #12
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I think Cammissa is a bit overrated, but he also seems narcissistic asf so I just don't like the guy. Thinks his word is godsend.

Smaller channel but Raiti's rides irks me. Dude gives classic sleazy car salesman vibes, doesn't know anything about the products and spews corny takes and misinformation. Florida man gon Florida
Interesting different ppl have different takes. I think Jason is too dorky to be cocky, I like the guy.

Ya, Raiti seems like he's just spewing and making stuff up. I'm w you there.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      04-23-2023, 08:08 PM   #13
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Interesting different ppl have different takes. I think Jason is too dorky to be cocky, I like the guy.

Ya, Raiti seems like he's just spewing and making stuff up. I'm w you there.
If you watch a video Sreten (M539 Restorations) did with him recently, you'll get what he's talking about. Seems like the type of guy who'd disown you if you didn't agree with him.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 08:09 PM   #14
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5m View Post
If you watch a video Sreten (M539 Restorations) did with him recently, you'll get what he's talking about. Seems like the type of guy who'd disown you if you didn't agree with him.
Wow, it's THAT bad? Srsly? I never knew. He comes across as so friendly happy-go-lucky.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 09:09 AM   #15
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

I enjoy Curious Cars with Bill.

He reviews older cars and goes fairly in-depth into the history of the car he's reviewing. He doesn't do much for the driving part of the review but his commentary is entertaining with his mention of the shitty Florida weather, Covid whiskey, and if Canadians will be "chipper" when sitting in the backseat.

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 2
Namelss754.50
      04-24-2023, 12:20 PM   #16
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
I enjoy Curious Cars with Bill.

He reviews older cars and goes fairly in-depth into the history of the car he's reviewing. He doesn't do much for the driving part of the review but his commentary is entertaining with his mention of the shitty Florida weather, Covid whiskey, and if Canadians will be "chipper" when sitting in the backseat.
Ok, I'll bite, what is that about?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 01:22 PM   #17
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
I've met Cammisa, back in 2000, at Waterfest, the big VW show in New Jersey at the time. He had the same Scirocco then that he still owns and loves today, and was an original member of the scirocco.org mailing list (predating Internet forums, back in the '90s). He's just a regular guy who happens to love cars, and has made a career of it. Seems like the same guy today that I met back then.

Quote:
I watch Raiti occasionally for shits & giggles. He's comically bad IMHO. His "ON THROTTLE!" runs at the end of his reviews look like an accident waiting to happen, every single time. Dude is almost at a million subscribers so apparently he's doing something right.
Germanauto9665.50
Clark_Kent2208.00
      04-24-2023, 01:41 PM   #18
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

In fairness to Joe Raiti, he's the "car dealership" reviewer. He has very little time with the cars he reviews, and it's just him and his wife filming. He's an ex-teacher and just likes cars, so I'm happy to see that he's found some success doing these quick drive reviews. Would I go to his channel for an in-depth Savage Geese type review on a car? No. But I do keep him on my watch list just for some lighthearted car content. Nothing more, nothing less.
Accentu8701.00
Clark_Kent2208.00
      04-24-2023, 01:59 PM   #19
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
In fairness to Joe Raiti, he's the "car dealership" reviewer. He has very little time with the cars he reviews, and it's just him and his wife filming. He's an ex-teacher and just likes cars, so I'm happy to see that he's found some success doing these quick drive reviews. Would I go to his channel for an in-depth Savage Geese type review on a car? No. But I do keep him on my watch list just for some lighthearted car content. Nothing more, nothing less.
Ya, can't hate him for that. Yup, it's crazy how his channel just EXPLODED. Good for him and his Mrs.

SavageGeese is the man, I don't think there's anyone better for technical stuff and ofc he gives great driving reviews too. I was kinda surprised he felt the need to say he was gay (it's no biggie to me, I'm totally cool), just interesting it came outta nowhere haha.

Harry's Garage is another good one for a 'real man' review (i.e. not going nuts around a track hooning).
Appreciate 2
nicholasn261.00
Clark_Kent2208.00
      04-24-2023, 02:00 PM   #20
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Wow, it's THAT bad? Srsly? I never knew. He comes across as so friendly happy-go-lucky.
Maybe my use of hyperbole wasn't good lol but yea, watching that clip made me feel like he's that guy who forces his opinion on you and expects you to agree with everything he's saying. I've known people like that and it's exhausting. You either disingenuously suffer through it or "be a dick" and disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
His thumbnails make me want to kick him in the nards. Not to mention it seems like a poor attempt at copying Doug DeMuro.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2023, 02:15 PM   #21
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5m View Post
Maybe my use of hyperbole wasn't good lol but yea, watching that clip made me feel like he's that guy who forces his opinion on you and expects you to agree with everything he's saying. I've known people like that and it's exhausting. You either disingenuously suffer through it or "be a dick" and disagree.
Maybe he was having a bad day, who knows? Haha. I still like him.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 02:16 PM   #22
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Quote:
Ok, I'll bite, what is that about?
That’s part of his schtick. He’s referring to if they’ll be happy and have enough room sitting in the back seats. He also talks about if the trunk can fit toddlers and if there is enough storage for narcotics/guns. It’s all in fun. He actually does a pretty good job going over the complete history of the car he’s reviewing.

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 1