2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Water leak into rear passenger footwell

01-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3

Water leak into rear passenger footwell

Hi all

As a result of the bad weather recently, my car ended up with a rather large puddle in the rear footwell.

Having googled this issue,I found a rather useful if disturbing long thread on another BMW 5 series forum pointing towards a perished steering column cover/grommet which covers the lhd hole on rhd cars.

I called my local BMW garage and initial reaction was not positive as I was immediately advised that water seals were covered by the AUC warranty. I highlighted the apparent well known issue and was told that he had never witnessed this problem. In their experience they thought it was the door leaking. I then had to reluctantly agree that if the issue was a water seal then I would have to cover the costs. Not great for a low mileage car that I purchased as an AUC.

So after investigation, it seems that my car is leaking from the bulkhead and from a perished grommet. I couldn't speak to the advisor but his colleague gave me an update which confused me as he said that BMW had paid for 80% of the labour, but the car hadn't been repaired yet and that I had to pay 20% to benefit for 2 years warranty on the repair. Does this sound right in people's experience?Just sounds odd to me, so looking at a bill of c£250. Of course it could have been a lot worse but I don't feel like I should be grateful to have to pay this amount.

Have people experienced the grommet issue?

And thoughts on the apparent goodwill contribution from BMW? Not sure the explanation I was given was great, felt like I was being mugged off......

Not sure whether I am permitted to link to another forum but if I can happy to post up a link to thread.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 02:29 AM   #2
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 G32 6GT; 2014 F45 218i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwai888 View Post
Hi all

As a result of the bad weather recently, my car ended up with a rather large puddle in the rear footwell.

Having googled this issue,I found a rather useful if disturbing long thread on another BMW 5 series forum pointing towards a perished steering column cover/grommet which covers the lhd hole on rhd cars.

I called my local BMW garage and initial reaction was not positive as I was immediately advised that water seals were covered by the AUC warranty. I highlighted the apparent well known issue and was told that he had never witnessed this problem. In their experience they thought it was the door leaking. I then had to reluctantly agree that if the issue was a water seal then I would have to cover the costs. Not great for a low mileage car that I purchased as an AUC.

So after investigation, it seems that my car is leaking from the bulkhead and from a perished grommet. I couldn't speak to the advisor but his colleague gave me an update which confused me as he said that BMW had paid for 80% of the labour, but the car hadn't been repaired yet and that I had to pay 20% to benefit for 2 years warranty on the repair. Does this sound right in people's experience?Just sounds odd to me, so looking at a bill of c£250. Of course it could have been a lot worse but I don't feel like I should be grateful to have to pay this amount.

Have people experienced the grommet issue?

And thoughts on the apparent goodwill contribution from BMW? Not sure the explanation I was given was great, felt like I was being mugged off......

Not sure whether I am permitted to link to another forum but if I can happy to post up a link to thread.

Thanks
As one of the contributors to that other thread you mention, if it is the grommet in the bulkhead leaking (and it very possibly is) this is an easy fix for a DIYer with little mechanical skill. All you are doing is removing the acoustic cover and clearing out the leaf debris that collects behind it and then seal the grommet in place with some automotive silicone. Read the full thread for tips and how tos.

As for BMW, they should fix this under warranty as it is a design flaw. The major part of the cost will be the drying out of the carpets but you could do this yourself as many others have done in the past.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2018, 12:02 AM   #3
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3

Thanks for the reply mrashton

Yes I did read the whole thread (during my commute) and it would have been a repair I would have tried if the car didn’t have any warranty and before kids.

Car is now repaired by the local dealer and problem was traced back to the grommet which they replaced. Had to pay a nominal amount in the end as contribution from BMW covered the majority of the repair costs.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 02:55 AM   #4
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

I had a similar issue where the left side rear footwell was always wet. In my case I was told it was the AC water condensation hose that was dumping water. Bmw took the entire dash apart and replaced this piece all under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #5
kayfaz
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrashton View Post
As one of the contributors to that other thread you mention, if it is the grommet in the bulkhead leaking (and it very possibly is) this is an easy fix for a DIYer with little mechanical skill. All you are doing is removing the acoustic cover and clearing out the leaf debris that collects behind it and then seal the grommet in place with some automotive silicone. Read the full thread for tips and how tos.

As for BMW, they should fix this under warranty as it is a design flaw. The major part of the cost will be the drying out of the carpets but you could do this yourself as many others have done in the past.
have you got a link to the thread you're referring to?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 09:12 AM   #6
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfaz View Post
have you got a link to the thread you're referring to?
It is a long thread with a load of good information.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/116098...in-water-leak/
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
kayfaz
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrashton View Post
It is a long thread with a load of good information.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/116098...in-water-leak/
Thanks mrashton that's my weekend sorted!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 09:28 AM   #8
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfaz View Post
Thanks mrashton that's my weekend sorted!
If you have any questions or need advice, just PM me.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 01:37 PM   #9
person512256
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Possible of LHD Cars?

I have a US spec 535i and and a similar issue with water in the passenger (right side) rear foot-well.

I was curious if there is a similar grommet on LHD cars?

Alternatively, what side of the vehicle would a broken AC drain hose would leak into?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #10
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

There is also another potential source of water in the rear footwell reported on various F10/F11 forums relating to the vapour barrier / membrane in the rear door becoming detached from the metal frame, which apparently lets water in. Can't find all the posts right now but this is an example. http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/112666...or-water-leak/
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #11
person512256
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Grabble View Post
There is also another potential source of water in the rear footwell reported on various F10/F11 forums relating to the vapour barrier / membrane in the rear door becoming detached from the metal frame, which apparently lets water in. Can't find all the posts right now but this is an example. http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/112666...or-water-leak/
Today it rained again and I can confirm it is leaking from the door.

For reference the door leaking looks like this:

Same Problem at an earlier stage on the other rear door:

As a temporary solution close the door with a plastic trash bag in the inner sill to catch the water.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 09:43 AM   #12
Crna27
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago when it rained hard here in L.A. But mine was in the driver side. Brought it to the dealer and they found the hood latch wire grommet in the firewall to be the culprit. Fixed under warranty.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 04:29 AM   #13
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

Guys, what years of manufacture does this fault apply to?

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #14
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
Guys, what years of manufacture does this fault apply to?
All F10/F11 and possibly other F1x cars can be affected by the water coming through the Yellow Grommet after crud build up blocking the water drain.
Appreciate 0