2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Valve stem seals or turbo seals?

02-24-2019, 10:07 AM   #23
F10n63
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10M5 View Post
Just an update I would be careful when taking these cars in with high mileage. I'm seeing more stories of dealers saying car needs fuel pump, coils, plugs, etc while doing recall work after putting the engine back together.

I paid them to replace all my coolant hoses, water pump, thermostat, lower temp sensor, etc. My car was road tested hard apparently by 5 people. I got my car and smelled coolant burning they said it's residual, low coolant light came on that night. They tell me they'll cover it....take it in. I thought it's the sensor as I'd top it off I'd still see the light. Today I get a bill for almost $1k. They say the coolant expansion tank leaking and it's aftermarket. How come this wasn't caught by the 5 people that drove it? And I already knew that I thought they'd take care of it or at the least just charge part cost since it should have been caught.

😒
I actually was worried about them coming back to me with a laundry list of repairs that my car needed, but I got lucky and they couldn't find any other problems. I sent the car to them with a new set of plugs and coils in the back seat and told them if they end up taking the engine apart, use the new plugs and coils when it goes back together. The dealership can be a scary place financially.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #24
F10n63
Rep

Update

Drove it about 900 miles. They ran the oil consumption test and say that it's consuming a normal amount of oil. I am upset.. in about 2000 miles it's going to be at minimum oil level. It should not lose 2 quarts in that time. And it could be making a mess of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #25
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 550I, 07 335I,

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10n63 View Post
Update

Drove it about 900 miles. They ran the oil consumption test and say that it's consuming a normal amount of oil. I am upset.. in about 2000 miles it's going to be at minimum oil level. It should not lose 2 quarts in that time. And it could be making a mess of the engine.
These engine should not burn oil. If you are burning quarts within 5k then there is a leak in one of several key areas..the valve guides,turbos and/or lines, oil return housing cover, oil pan or valve covers.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #26
F10n63
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10n63 View Post
Update

These engine should not burn oil. If you are burning quarts within 5k then there is a leak in one of several key areas..the valve guides,turbos and/or lines, oil return housing cover, oil pan or valve covers.
No leaks. It's burning .5 quarts every 1000 miles according to the consumption test. They said 1 liter ever 1000 miles is a problem
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 05:46 PM   #27
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It shouldn't burn any oil. If youre burning oil with no leaks, most likely it's the valve guides. Let the car idle for 15mins then throttle for a few seconds. If you get a puff of smoke out of the exhaust that lingers then you have failing valve guides or breather leak.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #28
F10n63
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahone View Post
It shouldn't burn any oil. If youre burning oil with no leaks, most likely it's the valve guides. Let the car idle for 15mins then throttle for a few seconds. If you get a puff of smoke out of the exhaust that lingers then you have failing valve guides or breather leak.
There's a little smoke but it's white and doesn't doesn't linger. They claim it's not actually smoke but vapor and that it would be blue if it was the seals.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:16 AM   #29
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You do the idle test after having done a long drive to ensure that condensation is blown out. In my case it was a cloud that definitely lingered and was thick after 15mins of idling
Appreciate 0