2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Steering Wheel Wrap

03-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
j0nblayz
Private
Rep
Drives: f10 535i xdrive

Steering Wheel Wrap

I ended up damaging my steering wheel a bit while I was cleaning with a magic eraser so I ended up ordering a leather wheel wrap from mewant on aliexpress. Finally got some time yesterday to sew the wrap onto my steering wheel, took couple hours but wasn't too bad. Heres some progress details:

The steering wheel before I started
- You can kind of see the damage on the top of the steering wheel, I tried to repair it with some light black paint)

Half way thru sewing
- Took couple tries to get the threading right. Went with the original m-stitch style

Pic of the stitching
- There was bit of a gap between where the leather met, however couldn't pull anymore as I was bit worried the threads was going to rip, hopefully with the heat it will stretch a bit, and I can re-thread)

Sewing completed
- Had to use almost the whole roll of double sided tape to secure the leather all over.

Installed
- Happy with the results, however I feel the red strip on top if very slightly to the left, which will bother me. Im planning to order another set without the red strip, that way it won't make me go crazy when I can't line it up perfect, lol

For anyone thinking of upgrading steering wheel, this might be a cheaper alternative. I believe I paid around $65CAD. Feels and smells like real leather, most likely very cheap grade, but feels great in my hands. Exact same texture as oem. Very happy with the results.
Appreciate 3
Ickdeep5719.50
      03-17-2019, 11:33 PM   #2
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Nice! I’ve been meaning to do this since the OEM leather is cheap garbage that rubs off with simple wipes. I was planning on going with the alcantara/suede with the blue stripe but based on your input regarding fitment, I’m going to look for a solid one. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

that looks pretty good! I heard stories of not using the magic eraser correctly or incorrectly but yours is the first to post an issue. where did you order the steering wheel wrap...link?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
j0nblayz
Private
Rep

Search for mewant steering wheel cover bmw, you will find their official store. You can msg the seller and customize to any way you want.

Regarding magic eraser, first go around was perfect, however it is too abrasive. Second go around I ended removing a layer of the top coat. Which caused it to show the under layer of leather. I do not recommend ever using it. It may look awesome after using, but essentially you are removing the top coat which is protecting the leather. I didn’t care so much since the previous owner did not take care of the leather and was in horrible condition, but after magic eraser looked much worse

Regarding the fitment issue with the wrap, I’m dealing with the seller now to determine if there template may not be suited for sport wheel, I believe it is meant for the stock non sport wheels which is thinner. Hopefully they can resolve and send me an updated cover. I’ll keep you all posted. So far though, I’m loving the thicker wheel. Looks amazing! And feels great when driving.

Also I felt the red stripe was bit out of place in my car, so I ended up ordering a red start button. Thinking that may make it make bit better in the car... will post when I get that installed
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:21 PM   #5
j0nblayz
Private
Rep

Ok heard back from the seller, they recommend I reinstall the steering whee and pull harder this time when threading. Seller is sending me more thread and double sided tape. I’ll try to install it again... hopefully I don’t end up tearing the thread or leather...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

You could probably use a hair dryer to help heat the material up to make it stretch a little more. Good luck on the second try!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
VAB5
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 535; '15 328; '05 ZHP conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
You could probably use a hair dryer to help heat the material up to make it stretch a little more. Good luck on the second try!
Good call on the heat. And the thread is really strong--I wouldn't worry about pulling it too tight.

Look forward to seeing the update. I love the ///M color thread--that's what I have on my ZHP.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Post some pictures when you do. Hopefully the 2nd try will work
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #9
j0nblayz
Private
Rep

Will do for sure guys! Unfortunately shipping time from seller is usually 2-3 weeks, however soon as I get it, I’ll make sure to provide some updates. I’m still struggling to decide if I should get another set without the red stripe.. hard decision
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #10
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

I am 63 years old and I have found that if I flip/flop about a course of action that it basically means I am not happy with what I have, and should just go ahead and change it. I have never been unhappy about that decision making strategy.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #11
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 535i, 12' Lexus RX350,

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Does anyone else have an experience with the Mewant Steering wheel covers? I was thinking of going with a Sued, leather combo, but there are only 2 reviews on Amazon for the M-sport wheel and they are both bad. Both reviews state that the cover starting showing wear in a few weeks. Any help is appreciated.

Also, can someone direct me were I can verify what steering wheel I have. I retrofitted a F10 wheel with paddle shifters. The Ebay ad I bought the wheel from stated is was a M-Sport wheel, but how do I verify? What are the differences between the Sport and M-Sport steering wheels?
      06-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #12
beegeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

I don’t like suede or alcantara for anything that is frequently touched, like the steering wheel. It gets grimy from the oils on our skin and anything else (dirt, food, etc) we don’t wash off before driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:43 PM   #13
beegeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also, I’m probably going to get a perforated/smooth leather with tricolor stitching from Mewant as well, as my wheel is very worn.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 06:56 PM   #14
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beegeezy View Post
Also, I’m probably going to get a perforated/smooth leather with tricolor stitching from Mewant as well, as my wheel is very worn.
That's my plan if the suede is going to wear badly.

This seems to be a really good deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383455376413
      06-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #15
beegeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjohnson7 View Post
That's my plan if the suede is going to wear badly.

This seems to be a really good deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383455376413
Exactly what I want except for the stripes. I also don’t want to worry about getting them in the right spot.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #16
asian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 535i

nice job!!!!!!! looks great!

I had the exact same problems with the F30 Msport wheel I did. The top stripe was skewed a bit and the ends didn't touch no matter how hard I pulled.

I mistakenly did every thread (bloody chinese youtube vid) but kept it going because the pattern covered the gap a bit more and made the stitching pop.

I went for the suede look which felt awesome wen gripped. Not sure how it would survive being a daily but for the price, its worth a shot.

I'm curious how much nicer alcantara would be.. it's about double the price though. I may attempt it on my new F06 Msport wheel I got but will only do it after I confirm everything fits and works. I have heard amazing things about using baby wipes on alcantara
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 09:22 PM   #17
asian
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Exactly what I want except for the stripes. I also don’t want to worry about getting them in the right spot.
even in the picture it's photoshopped off centre
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 09:27 PM   #18
asian
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone else have an experience with the Mewant Steering wheel covers? I was thinking of going with a Sued, leather combo, but there are only 2 reviews on Amazon for the M-sport wheel and they are both bad. Both reviews state that the cover starting showing wear in a few weeks. Any help is appreciated.

Also, can someone direct me were I can verify what steering wheel I have. I retrofitted a F10 wheel with paddle shifters. The Ebay ad I bought the wheel from stated is was a M-Sport wheel, but how do I verify? What are the differences between the Sport and M-Sport steering wheels?
I think the msport one is slightly thicker?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 10:38 PM   #19
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don’t like suede or alcantara for anything that is frequently touched, like the steering wheel. It gets grimy from the oils on our skin and anything else (dirt, food, etc) we don’t wash off before driving.
i dunno...i love mine! it's already going on 5 years now and my alcantara/leather is holding up very well. also, i make sure my hands aren't dirty before touching my steering wheel. i don't know if other's do the same?

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #20
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:

I would recommend using one of the online part database sites for verification of what wheel you have. If you're not familiar with any...here's some of my favs below. Just type in the last 7 digits of your VIN (or select accordingly) and the site will be specific to your car's production/build date/etc:
  1. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
  2. https://bimmercat.com/
  3. http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/

You have the visual aspects...then you also have the 11 digit BMW part nbr that should make it clear as to which wheel you have. Sometimes the part nbrs change (get replaced by another number)...but the part databases give that addtional info if you click on the part nbr.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-26-2020 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #21
beegeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i dunno...i love mine! it's already going on 5 years now and my alcantara/leather is holding up very well. also, i make sure my hands aren't dirty before touching my steering wheel. i don't know if other's do the same?

Being proactive by keeping your hands clean likely helps a lot. I’ve seen some nasty ones come through the shop where I used to work.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 09:56 PM   #22
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Just finished wrapping my steering wheel and installing. Wow, I love the finished product. Went on EBay and contact Mewant for a custom wrap. Suede on the sides, smooth leather on top and bottom. Cost less than $55.
Attached Images