2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Watch Question - Oris Watches

12-04-2018, 08:07 PM   #23
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun ticket View Post
Plus grey market is looking like my only choice. I cannot find a dealer in Tampa anywhere.

You could always go second hand as well. A lot of people sell watches at a big loss all the time. One place with a very active classifieds is watchuseek.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/

I also put a link earlier in the thread to an authorized online dealer. I would give them a call before you went grey market.
      12-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #24
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
You could always go second hand as well. A lot of people sell watches at a big loss all the time. One place with a very active classifieds is watchuseek.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/

I also put a link earlier in the thread to an authorized online dealer. I would give them a call before you went grey market.
Will do and thanks. The more I look at the Oris and research them I really like them. Wide range of choices with smaller sizes which works for me.
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7405.50
      12-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #25
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I have two, one was given to me as a gift 13 years ago by my then girlfriend, now wife. Wear it nearly everyday and have had it fully reconditioned by Oris to new. Love Oris, best bang for the buck. Well made too.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 12:57 AM   #26
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I don't have Oris but inspected various models of them and quality wise they're definitely better in divers watches than Longines,Hamilton,Tag Aquaracer , Tissot and other renowned watch brands in Swatch save Omega .
However,aformentioned watches (I don't know much about Tag ) also is benefited with immense sources of Swatch Group considering updated movement yielding and boasting about longer power reserve whereas that's not a case with Oris as of yet
      12-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #27
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

What a coincidental thread. I'm not sure if OP is familiar with automatic watches, but apparently one needs to have them serviced every few years. I didn't know it's imperative and my Oris died after 13 years. I think for $ value and design and quality, it's up there, but that obviously left a sour note w/ me, vs say a $5 Timex which probably won't break down save for battery changes.

General question:
Do you guys service your watches regularly and if not, any prbs? How much is the service cost?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #28
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
What a coincidental thread. I'm not sure if OP is familiar with automatic watches, but apparently one needs to have them serviced every few years. I didn't know it's imperative and my Oris died after 13 years. I think for $ value and design and quality, it's up there, but that obviously left a sour note w/ me, vs say a $5 Timex which probably won't break down save for battery changes.

General question:
Do you guys service your watches regularly and if not, any prbs? How much is the service cost?

They're machines, finely engineered, just like your BMW, and therefore require regular maintenance and service.

I recommend every 3-5 years depending on how often a particular watch is in rotation. Remember that these hair sized gears are running 24/7, it is unreasonable to expect that they can run indefinitely without maintenance.

Getting into mechanical watches does come with more upkeep that folks don't think about.

I bet your Oris can be recovered. I'm not trying to be a smartass about it, but 13 years is pretty dang good if you didn't maintain it. The sour taste in your mouth isn't the fault of Oris. Every mechanical watch manual will tell you the service interval.

The price depends on where you take it, the brand, and the level of the watch. For example, my daily wear Hamilton that has few complications is about 100 dollars. However, for a very complicated watch such as a perpetual calendar or moon phase, it can be many hundreds of dollars.

Whatever the price is, it's worth you maintaining your tiny machine so that it doesn't die after 13 years.
      12-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #29
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:

General question:
Your supposed to every 5 yrs or so. It doesn't necessarily mean it's broken, may be that the oils have dried up and it just needs cleaning. I had a watch run flawlessly for 16 years without service. Eventually the chronograph stopped working and that's when I finally sent it.
      12-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #30
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:

General question:
There are some good service centers in the U.S. and some watches should go back to Switzerland or Germany or U.K for service.
http://www.rgmwatches.com/repair/

Some watches like diving watches Blancpain fifty fathoms can be very expensive service.

U bring up a good point some quartz watches or solar watches are very good. But as an example as an heirloom a mechanical watch could conceivably last millinium and quartz unlikely solar - I don’t know.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #31
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
They're machines, finely engineered, just like your BMW, and therefore require regular maintenance and service.

I recommend every 3-5 years depending on how often a particular watch is in rotation. Remember that these hair sized gears are running 24/7, it is unreasonable to expect that they can run indefinitely without maintenance.

Getting into mechanical watches does come with more upkeep that folks don't think about.

I bet your Oris can be recovered. I'm not trying to be a smartass about it, but 13 years is pretty dang good if you didn't maintain it. The sour taste in your mouth isn't the fault of Oris. Every mechanical watch manual will tell you the service interval.

The price depends on where you take it, the brand, and the level of the watch. For example, my daily wear Hamilton that has few complications is about 100 dollars. However, for a very complicated watch such as a perpetual calendar or moon phase, it can be many hundreds of dollars.

Whatever the price is, it's worth you maintaining your tiny machine so that it doesn't die after 13 years.
Thanks and I know you're not being a smartass.

I just think it's a bit deceptive for watchmakers, Oris, in my case, to make it sound like that such service is *optional*. If you read my manual, it says that an 'overhaul is recommended'...whatever the heck that means; definitely nowhere did it state it was mandatory. Not everyone is a WIS, and for someone ignorant about this issue like myself that had just gotten into the 'fancier' watches, I would think why should I bother if the manual only makes it a suggestion/recommendation? I thought that mechanical or automatic watches are supposed to be less maintenance-worrisome due to its very nature of not needing a battery, seems awesome, isn't that partly why they are much more expensive than any regular watch? The sales when I bought it didn't warn me about this mandatory service either.

As such, it still leaves a sour taste because I scour manuals and if I read a clear instruction to periodical service, I would have done it. It's not the same as our BMWs because, for example, no one merely 'recommends' oil changes...if you don't do it after a long time, your engine will definitely be messed up.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #32
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoob View Post
Your supposed to every 5 yrs or so. It doesn't necessarily mean it's broken, may be that the oils have dried up and it just needs cleaning. I had a watch run flawlessly for 16 years without service. Eventually the chronograph stopped working and that's when I finally sent it.
I wonder how much $ your regular servicing would have been, vs that one-time repair bill? Do you regularly service your watch now?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #33
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Thanks and I know you're not being a smartass.

I just think it's a bit deceptive for watchmakers, Oris, in my case, to make it sound like that such service is *optional*. If you read my manual, it says that an 'overhaul is recommended'...whatever the heck that means; definitely nowhere did it state it was mandatory. Not everyone is a WIS, and for someone ignorant about this issue like myself that had just gotten into the 'fancier' watches, I would think why should I bother if the manual only makes it a suggestion/recommendation? I thought that mechanical or automatic watches are supposed to be less maintenance-worrisome due to its very nature of not needing a battery, seems awesome, isn't that partly why they are much more expensive than any regular watch? The sales when I bought it didn't warn me about this mandatory service either.

As such, it still leaves a sour taste because I scour manuals and if I read a clear instruction to periodical service, I would have done it. It's not the same as our BMWs because, for example, no one merely 'recommends' oil changes...if you don't do it after a long time, your engine will definitely be messed up.

Understood, but at least a lesson learned. I'm sorry you had a bad experience and I would be upset with the salesman not talking about maintenance. A good salesman should be inquiring about your experience with mechanical watches and emphasize that they aren't "set and forget".

They're more expensive for many reasons, for some it's the name, but in general it's because they're precision machines assembled by hand. They're definitely not less maintenance or worrisome. Here's another tip, if you bang your mechanical watch too hard, and it doesn't have shock protection, that can really damage the gear train as well.

Here's the except from my daily wear Hamilton,

"Please note that as with any micromechanical precision
instrument, HAMILTON watches require regular maintenance.
This keeps your watch in perfect working order
and makes it last longer.
The frequency with which this maintenance work needs
to be carried out depends on the model, as well as climatic
conditions and the owner’s care of the watch.
Therefore we cannot give a specific time interval for
servicing. We generally recommend that a complete
maintenance service should be carried out every 3 to
5 years.
To ensure that the service is carried out professionally,
kindly take your watch to an authorized HAMILTON
Service Center or official HAMILTON retailer."

Here's the statement from my Oris manual,

"Oris watches, like any other
device with mechanical components,
needs maintenance from
time to time. However, the need
for maintenance depends heavily
on personal usage, the climate
and how the watch is looked after.
For normal, careful use, Oris
recommends general maintenance
every 4 – 5 years.
Hand in your watch to an official
Oris retailer or send it to the Oris
service centre in your country.
You can find a directory listing all
approved retailers and service
centres in the attached document,
or the latest updated version can
be viewed at www.oris.ch"

Both are pretty explicit that regular maintenance is necessary.

Good topic for anyone thinking of getting into mechanical watches! Thanks for sharing your learnings and I hope you get your watch sorted out.
      12-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #34
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Understood, but at least a lesson learned. I'm sorry you had a bad experience and I would be upset with the salesman not talking about maintenance. A good salesman should be inquiring about your experience with mechanical watches and emphasize that they aren't "set and forget".

They're more expensive for many reasons, for some it's the name, but in general it's because they're precision machines assembled by hand. They're definitely not less maintenance or worrisome. Here's another tip, if you bang your mechanical watch too hard, and it doesn't have shock protection, that can really damage the gear train as well.

Here's the except from my daily wear Hamilton,

"Please note that as with any micromechanical precision
instrument, HAMILTON watches require regular maintenance.
This keeps your watch in perfect working order
and makes it last longer.
The frequency with which this maintenance work needs
to be carried out depends on the model, as well as climatic
conditions and the owner’s care of the watch.
Therefore we cannot give a specific time interval for
servicing. We generally recommend that a complete
maintenance service should be carried out every 3 to
5 years.
To ensure that the service is carried out professionally,
kindly take your watch to an authorized HAMILTON
Service Center or official HAMILTON retailer."

Here's the statement from my Oris manual,

"Oris watches, like any other
device with mechanical components,
needs maintenance from
time to time. However, the need
for maintenance depends heavily
on personal usage, the climate
and how the watch is looked after.
For normal, careful use, Oris
recommends general maintenance
every 4 – 5 years.
Hand in your watch to an official
Oris retailer or send it to the Oris
service centre in your country.
You can find a directory listing all
approved retailers and service
centres in the attached document,
or the latest updated version can
be viewed at www.oris.ch"

Both are pretty explicit that regular maintenance is necessary.

Good topic for anyone thinking of getting into mechanical watches! Thanks for sharing your learnings and I hope you get your watch sorted out.

Ya, I'll take one for the team lol. This leads to another question I've asked of another poster: what are the servicing interval costs vs repair cost? If they are similar anyway, why bother having service intervals?

Your manual wordings are definitely clearer than mine and your Hamilton is better than the Oris, the latter of which still states it as a "recommendation".
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 05:44 PM   #35
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Ya, I'll take one for the team lol. This leads to another question I've asked of another poster: what are the servicing interval costs vs repair cost? If they are similar anyway, why bother having service intervals?

Your manual wordings are definitely clearer than mine and your Hamilton is better than the Oris, the latter of which still states it as a "recommendation".
This link has pricing http://www.rgmwatches.com/repair/

I’ve heard of patek’s that weren’t grand complications having $6000 fees - maintenance plus sapphire repair. Imagine a repeater that isn’t working and the thousands if not tens of thousands for repairs or even a chronograph not 7750 based and $1000 maintenance costs and repair costs are common.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #36
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:

I just checked a BMW owners manual, and they have "recommended" service intervals as well. I'm not sure what's wrong with the word "recommendation." Can you help me understand? If I'm selling you something, I'm going to give you my recommendations. As I understand it, recommendation means;

"A suggestion or proposal as to the best course of action, especially one put forward by an authoritative body."

A manufacturer recommendation is a pretty important statement to me.

Anyway, repair costs are unpredictable. Service costs are more predictable.
      12-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #37
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I just checked a BMW owners manual, and they have "recommended" service intervals as well. I'm not sure what's wrong with the word "recommendation." Can you help me understand? If I'm selling you something, I'm going to give you my recommendations. As I understand it, recommendation means;

"A suggestion or proposal as to the best course of action, especially one put forward by an authoritative body."

A manufacturer recommendation is a pretty important statement to me.

Anyway, repair costs are unpredictable. Service costs are more predictable.
Well, 'recommendation' just a suggestion and not 'hey, you MUST do this' - they ought to say servicing is mandatory; obviously the wording could've been better but there are many reasons they have loose wordings, e.g. don't wish to highlight the added expenses down the road.

The way your Hamilton stated is stronger than the Oris, it states servicing IS required and just recommends the interval.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #38
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoob View Post
I wonder how much $ your regular servicing would have been, vs that one-time repair bill? Do you regularly service your watch now?
depends on the watch brand, but if it's just a service a few hundred up to seven or eight hundred. the service for the watch I was talking about was around 1700, but I had the hands, crystals, and strap replaced. also had the movement polished and the case restored. came back like new and then some. funny how a watch that hasn't been worn much all of the sudden is a favorite again. I now have a spreadsheet to track what was serviced when.

edit - I should note that nothing was broken or needed repair. just the oils dried up and it needed to be taken apart, cleaned and reassembled. I took that opportunity to bring it back to new. most manufacturers will offer that (or pitch, upsell, whatever you want to call it).
DMike1.50
      12-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #39
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Oris is a great watch and proud owner of Oris Aquis Date.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #40
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Oris is a great watch and proud owner of Oris Aquis Date.
Nice I've contemplated one but need to get rid of some first.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 12:49 PM   #41
milemarker60
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E70, (2) F32s

Typically a lurker on the bimmerpost forums but figured I'd chime in. I've had a watch problem for many years up til recently and have pretty much liquidated my collection. Only pieces I kept were fat divers...my daily wear Oris TT1 1000M (gave to my son) and 7609 47mm 1000M Small Seconds. Truth be told I wear a Suunto rubber watch now daily and the 7609 sits on a winder 99% of the time. If my eyes were better I'd probably be sporting an apple watch for daily. The Oris is big and chunky without being too flashy and made fairly well. I personally think they are the best value in the <$2K automatics and one of the cheapest to have serviced. You can wear them around without anyone noticing unlike the typical Rolexs, Panerais, etc. so if you're looking to get the attention then Oris' are probably not for you. I just like the look which really should be a cornerstone of any wearer or collector. Great entry level automatic that you can actually wear all the time without worry about damaging and destroying the value. Strap it on and get to it.
Appreciate 0