2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Serpentine belt snapped- belt got in engine

03-16-2019, 07:46 AM   #23
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayphil View Post
Oh this is really bad ! Thanks for sharing, I just checked mine and it seems to be leaking badly. I will get an appointment to do the gasket, belts and maybe tentionner at the same time ASAP! I hope my Indy will not charge me too much for that !

Anything else I should check or replace while I am at it?

My car is a 2011 at around 118k KM never done any major maintenance ( only oil changes, brake fluide ...)
We have the same build year Jay. just make sure all the recalls have been taken care of. I count at least 4 since the time I bought it.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 07:54 AM   #24
Jayphil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535I xdrive 2011 (M-SPORT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
Oh this is really bad ! Thanks for sharing, I just checked mine and it seems to be leaking badly. I will get an appointment to do the gasket, belts and maybe tentionner at the same time ASAP! I hope my Indy will not charge me too much for that !

My car is a 2011 at around 118k KM never done any major maintenance ( only oil changes, brake fluide ...)
We have the same build year Jay. just make sure all the recalls have been taken care of. I count at least 4 since the time I bought it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:

Thanks I double checked on My BMW in bmw.ca and I am all set, I had about 4 recalls done too if I remember correctly!
BMW 535I xdrive 2011 M-Sport with H&R Springs, Niche Form Wheels 8.5 ET35 / 10.5 ET35, Continental DSW06 245/35 & 285/30, JB4 Map 5, ER Downpipe, Megan Racing Quad Exhaust with Vibrant resonators, M5 Diffuser, Orange reflector shaved and removed xdrive badge.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 07:43 PM   #25
Tritan84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Bump thread. Had this exact thing happen to my ‘11 535i today. Any insight from anyone is much appreciated.

??
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 07:28 PM   #26
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan84 View Post
Bump thread. Had this exact thing happen to my '11 535i today. Any insight from anyone is much appreciated.

??
Did you get this sorted?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #27
Tritan84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encendido3 View Post
Did you get this sorted?
I did actually! Did all the top end stuff myself (crank pulley seal, tensioner, belt, oil cooler gasket, and VCG) and took it to a BMW Indy shop to clean out the oil pan and replace oil pan gasket. Still cost me about $2k. It was a beast of a job though.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #28
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encendido3 View Post
Did you get this sorted?
I did actually! Did all the top end stuff myself (crank pulley seal, tensioner, belt, oil cooler gasket, and VCG) and took it to a BMW Indy shop to clean out the oil pan and replace oil pan gasket. Still cost me about $2k. It was a beast of a job though.
Goo stuff!! It's is a beast of a job. Took me roughly 2.5 weekends to get it all done when I did it. Only thing I didn't do was the crank seal. BMW charged me $700 for that.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 10:36 AM   #29
Newfeebullet
Rep
Drives: BMW 535gt xdrive

So my belt snapped 2 days ago, I did have to drive for a little to get it home, temperature gauge stayed stable, battery was draining fast and multiple systems shut down. I noticed when I got in my driveway I was unable to drive up my driveway (engine just reved) I’m guessing because it had shut down much of the car at this point….
Found this forum about the belt in the engine and was curious if anyone tried simply draining the oil and filtering it to look for rubber before taking the oil pan off?
The I liked around the crank shaft and didn’t see much of any of the belt around it so was going to pull the crank pulley off and inspect the seal to see if it was compromised and filter the oil and depending on the results look at removing the oil pan.
I have a 2011 535i GT xdrive and have searched the forums and found the belt getting sucked in happens but is less common with the n55 engine I believe I have over the n54.
Guess I’m looking for some advice regarding the oil draining with a filter and if my plan to check the seal is a good first step before lifting the engine to get the pan out.
Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 11:09 AM   #30
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfeebullet View Post
So my belt snapped 2 days ago, I did have to drive for a little to get it home, temperature gauge stayed stable, battery was draining fast and multiple systems shut down. I noticed when I got in my driveway I was unable to drive up my driveway (engine just reved) I'm guessing because it had shut down much of the car at this point….
Found this forum about the belt in the engine and was curious if anyone tried simply draining the oil and filtering it to look for rubber before taking the oil pan off?
The I liked around the crank shaft and didn't see much of any of the belt around it so was going to pull the crank pulley off and inspect the seal to see if it was compromised and filter the oil and depending on the results look at removing the oil pan.
I have a 2011 535i GT xdrive and have searched the forums and found the belt getting sucked in happens but is less common with the n55 engine I believe I have over the n54.
Guess I'm looking for some advice regarding the oil draining with a filter and if my plan to check the seal is a good first step before lifting the engine to get the pan out.
Thanks for the help
Welcome! Sucks that happened to you. You definitely can try visually inspecting the crank seal, you may have gotten lucky. If the seal isn't 100%, I wouldn't risk it and I would drop the pan. The biggest problem you could face is if parts of the belt did get sucked in it could have made its way into the pan and will clog the oil pickup tube, starving the engine of oil. When I did mine, no parts of the belt came out when I drained the oil but when I took the pan off it looked like half the damn belt was in there.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 12:51 PM   #31
Newfeebullet
Rep

HOLY CRAP!! 7 of the bolts on the balancer came out like butter….8th one stripped the head like butter. Hardest extraction I’ve ever had to do. Good news is my seal looks good, figured I’d post a pick for another opinion. Does anyone have the torque specs for those bolts and the cross arms I had to take off to get the fan out? Thanks
Not sure if the pictures attached or not
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 03:57 PM   #32
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfeebullet View Post
HOLY CRAP!! 7 of the bolts on the balancer came out like butter….8th one stripped the head like butter. Hardest extraction I’ve ever had to do. Good news is my seal looks good, figured I’d post a pick for another opinion. Does anyone have the torque specs for those bolts and the cross arms I had to take off to get the fan out? Thanks
Not sure if the pictures attached or not

Since you're this far, if you plan on keeping the car, I would install one of those seal protectors.

e.g.
https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...82-f83-e92-etc
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2022, 12:58 PM   #33
Newfeebullet
Rep

Thanks…..does anyone know the torque specs for the harmonic balancer bolts and top cross members?
Appreciate 0