2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum *OFFICIAL* BMW 5-series GT photos! (production version)

05-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #23
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
not bad for a minivan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereItsAt View Post
This is not an R class competitor. Not in any way.
you better hope not, R class is a flop.
      05-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #24
trfortin69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

I'm really confused, it's like an ugly X6...why is this even coming to market
      05-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #25
Mantooth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 montego blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfortin69 View Post
I'm really confused, it's like an ugly X6...why is this even coming to market
WORD! I don't get it. What's the point?!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #26
DOCTOR 3VIL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/E92 M3

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #27
trfortin69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTOR 3VIL View Post
you want one don't you!!
      05-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #28
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

wow pure uglyness, ewww. i hope bmw will never bring this to the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #29
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

Does this mean that the F10 5-series will have the same interior as this GT?
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #30
Fitzla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

OH JESUS CHRIST THAT THING IS UGLY! Gets uglier every time I see it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #31
jo-e90
Private
Rep
Drives: WO

It's all WRONG!! Don't do it!
Dodge charger front meets Toyota Venza rear.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #32
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

Just an observation but if you look at the rear seating area picture for the 5-GT it shows no indication that it will have HVAC vents located also on the middle to lower part of the B-pillar ALA the new BMW F01/02 7-series and the Current E70 BMW X5. Makes me wonder if the new F10 5 series will also come without this feature espically since the Audi A6 has had it for a while now as well as the Mercedes-Benz E-class on most V8 models since 2003. Common BMW these area details that should be placed on your second Bread and Butter models, AKA the 5-series.
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #33
Mo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Is it me or doesn't seem like BMW is making a bunch of poinless models?????? I can't understand what their marketing team is thinking.......
      05-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #34
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Another color
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #35
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

This vehicle is filling a small niche, so not for the usual crowd who like sporty coupes.

It's quite luxurious, has higher ride height, and has room to hold enough stuff. Another word, especially suited for wealthy suburban women and retired folks. My wife would enjoy this.

Price will be between the 5 and 7, I guess.
      05-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #36
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxhomie View Post
There is a technical reason for this: The iDrive screen will no longer be recessed b/c LEDs are now used for backlighting instead of CCFL (fluorescent). The screen needed to be indented, but no longer.
The new screens (new iDrive) are TFT so the the light from the sun is reflected and actually makes it brighter that is the reason the smaller/no visor- not the lighting.
      05-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #37
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Right on...BMW now builds a Pontiac Aztek.

I hope the wonder-monkeys that were in charge of this project can take a moment to pull the bananas out of their ears, amongst other places, and go back to designing some classic cars. This kind of crap is not going to help them weather the current economic crisis. Heck, get rid of the mental midgets who designed the X6 with them, too.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #38
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

L for LOOSER! F for FUGLY. LF. enough.
First they Bangled the 7-series. Now they are Banglelizing the 5-series This Fugly car looks worse than the 6 series with its table of a butt. WTF are they thinking? Evidently Bangle polluted their whole design house. Terrible. 3-series and Z4 seem to be the last good looking BMW cars now.

A car supposed to look better that a truck, but wow! X6 > X5 > X3 > X1 > 6-series > 7-Series > 5-series. If I ever want to trade up from my lovely 3-series to another BMW it will be straight to an X6. But I already have an SUV. Its due for a change in 2010, and I am going straight to the AUDI Q5
      05-22-2009, 12:38 AM   #39
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
L for LOOSER! F for FUGLY. LF. enough.
First they Bangled the 7-series. Now they are Banglelizing the 5-series This Fugly car looks worse than the 6 series with its table of a butt. WTF are they thinking? Evidently Bangle polluted their whole design house. Terrible. 3-series and Z4 seem to be the last good looking BMW cars now.

A car supposed to look better that a truck, but wow! X6 > X5 > X3 > X1 > 6-series > 7-Series > 5-series. If I ever want to trade up from my lovely 3-series to another BMW it will be straight to an X6. But I already have an SUV. Its due for a change in 2010, and I am going straight to the AUDI Q5
wouldn't blame you at all, US is the biggest market for bmw (if i am not mistaken) and if they bring this to the US i am pretty sure it will not succeed at all, i am sure couple of soccer moms will be excited about driving a bmw to a soccer practice instead of the dodge minivan but come on seriously, who else is going to buy this monstrosity !!! i am a bmw die hard fan but this shit just makes me upset.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 01:11 AM   #40
d3l0n
I love the ///M3, but I want 550hp ///M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW330iE90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Another color
whoa! these photos look much better!

hold up guys... u are telling me this won't draw Merc R class audience???

I know who this car was built far... I followed it media coverage and such, but from BMW, compared to another, it's going to be around the same audience attracted to this car, though it might not be it's only target. And that's my lol
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 02:26 AM   #41
ebeem
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M - Paket

This car is extremely ugly....but I guess elderly people will like it!
Depending on the advantages over a regular wagon,it might be interesting for families as well
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 06:11 AM   #42
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

I think it looks very nice!! The back is for what this car was meant to be!! You will get used to it!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #43
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Here's the UK press release:

Quote:

The new BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo

Innovative new packaging features for a premium car
Range powered by all turbo-charged engine line-up with new eight-speed automatic transmission

BMW is pleased to announce the 5 Series Gran Turismo, a car which combines an understated coupé-like silhouette to the luxurious interior of a BMW 7 Series, while at the same time giving the functionality of a BMW 5 Series Touring or X5.

The 19th distinct model shape to be offered in the BMW portfolio has a vehicle length nearly on par with a BMW 7 Series to create a greater feeling of space for those inside. This translates into the second greatest amount of legroom offered by any BMW while headroom is equivalent to that of a BMW X5. Meanwhile, boot space can be enhanced from 440 litres up to 1,700 litres, only 50 litres behind the capacity of the BMW X5 and the second largest space compared to all current BMWs.

The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is available as either a four-seat Executive specification car for a luxurious, spacious feel or in a five-seat SE configuration for a blend of sophistication and practicality. But its truly innovative feature is a two-piece tailgate which is a first in the premium segment. Now an owner has the option to choose between two ways of opening the rear of the vehicle depending on the objects needed to be stowed.

A more conventional saloon style boot opening provides access for smaller objects. This allows the cabin area to remain warm and without noise intrusion. The hatch-style opening combined with a flexible partition comes into play should the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo owner wish to make full use of its load-lugging capacity. The rear seats can be moved 100mm fore or aft to either increase boot space or provide greater legroom for rear seat passengers. With the rear seats moved forwards, the seat backs folded virtually flat and the parcel shelf removed and stowed beneath the luggage compartment floor, much bulkier items can then be transported.

The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo has been styled to represent its unique position in the market. The familiar BMW kidney grilles and large air intakes hint at the car’s performance potential, while a roof line that curves downwards towards the rear and the frameless doors both give a coupé feel.

Inside, and the seats are all set in a semi-command driving position for the best mix of forward vision yet comfortable access. One of the key features of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is the height of the seats. Potential customers have expressed a desire for the luxury of a BMW 7 Series but also the feeling of security and all round visibility a car with a command driving position such as the BMW X5 offers.

Black Panel technology first shown on the BMW 7 Series features for an added touch of luxury. Black Panel technology is a signature piece of design that allows the displays of the centre console to double as a stylish trim. The electronic displays are visible through the Black Panel technology when needed, but are discreet enough to form a stylish black band across the interior. Control switches in galvanised metal are set into the centre console by way of contrast.

Class-leading drivetrains
Three class-leading engines power the three models available at launch. The new BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is offered as a 530d, a 535i and a 550i.

[chart]

The biggest seller in the UK is predicted to be the BMW 530d GT. This 2,993cc six-cylinder car features third generation common-rail direct injection with piezo injectors for the best in diesel refinement and efficiency. Producing 245hp at 4,000rpm, the 530d accelerates from zero to 62mph in 6.9 seconds before going on to a top speed of 149mph. The peak torque of 540Nm from just 1,750rpm provides smooth yet swift progress in any gear. Fuel economy is exceptional with a combined fuel consumption figure of 43.5mpg and CO2 emissions of 173g/km.

Joining the diesel-powered car is the BMW 535i GT. This 2,979cc six-cylinder powerplant is the first ever to combine a single turbo with VALVETRONIC - BMW’s system that varies how much the engine’s valves open for optimum efficiency. This partnership ensures the car meets the latest stringent emission regulations while offering optimum performance. The 306hp BMW 535i GT also features High precision direct injection technology for added efficiency. The performance credentials of the car are underscored by a zero to 62mph time of 6.3 seconds and an electronically-limited top speed of 155mph. Consumption and emissions figures are impressive with 31.7mpg on the combined cycle and CO2 emissions of 209g/km.

Topping the range is the BMW 550i GT. Powered by an acclaimed 407hp 4,395cc V8 engine with twin-turbo technology, the 550i GT offers near supercar performance with a zero to 62mph time of 5.5 seconds and an electronically-limited 155mph top speed. Its twin-turbochargers provide a near flat torque curve to provide relaxed yet rapid in-gear acceleration. Peak torque of 600Nm is on hand from 1,750rpm through to 4,500rpm. The BMW 550i GT records a combined consumption figure of 25.2mpg and CO2 emissions of 263g/km.

All cars come as standard with BMW’s new eight-speed automatic gearbox announced earlier this month on the 760Li. The all-new transmission is six per cent per cent more fuel efficient than the previous six-speed automatic yet it is as compact and weighs the same.

The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo comes with many of the EfficientDynamics technologies already shown on other BMWs. Brake Energy Regeneration which recharges the vehicle’s battery during engine over-run is standard. On-demand control of the car’s ancillary units such as the electrical coolant pump and the powering steering pump can all be decoupled to save draining power from the engine. Active aerodynamics also plays a part in the range’s performance and efficiency by closing off flaps behind the kidney grilles to improve the aerodynamics of the car.

All cars come as standard with Drive Dynamic Control, a feature first showcased on the BMW 7 Series, that allows the driver to fine tune the chassis configuration to suit their needs. Drivers will be able to specify Normal, Comfort, Sport and Sport+, with each setting changing the steering assistance, throttle response and gear change characteristics.

Double wishbone front suspension and an integral V rear axle with air suspension provide the occupants with a composed ride. The car is also available with Integral Active Steering instead of the standard hydraulic steering configuration with Servotronic assistance for enhanced driving dynamics and comfort.

Highest ever standard specification
The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo comes with a level of standard specification greater than previously offered on any 5 Series. Dakota leather upholstery, four-zone air-conditioning, panoramic sunroof and metallic paint are included. A USB audio interface, ambient lighting and heated front seats are also standard.

Features such as Reversing Assist Camera and Side View camera capability are available on the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo to add to the ownership experience. The Reversing Assist Camera works in conjunction with the Park Distance Control system to provide a 360 degree picture of the car when manoeuvring at slow speeds. The Side View camera option allows drivers to pull out of blind junctions with confidence. A host of additional optional equipment from Night Vision with pedestrian recognition and Head-up Display to Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go can be specified.

Key facts

• The long-wheelbase gives limousine levels of interior space and ride refinement.
  • Rear seats that can be moved fore-and-aft by up to 100mm. BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo offers 7 Series legroom with seats in the extended position.
  • Second largest luggage capacity after a BMW X5. Courtesy of an innovative luggage partition the boot capacity can be increased from 440-litres to 1,700-litres.
  • A vehicle height of 1.56 metres means the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo has a lower roofline than the BMW X5, yet still has the same headroom.
  • Semi-command driving position for ease of entry and greater forward visibility.
  • Dual tailgate for flexible storage options.
Positioning
So who will buy the car? BMW has identified three key buyers for this vehicle. Those who like the idea of an SUV/SAV and the practicality that type of vehicle brings, but who do not like the styling of such a vehicle. Buyers who want the luxury of a 7 Series in a design that’s more coupé in profile and those that just want to be different and are open to new concepts.

To see how the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo sits within the BMW product portfolio the table below outlines some key figures.

[chart]

The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo goes on sale in October, 2009. Confirmed prices will be announced at a later date, but the range is expected to start from approximately £40,000 for a BMW 530d SE GT.
GT 535i has a completely new engine, single twin-scroll turbo inline 6 with Valvetronic.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #44
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
GT 535i has a completely new engine, single twin-scroll turbo inline 6 with Valvetronic.

________
ARIZONA MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited by Hula-Hula; 05-09-2011 at 05:32 AM..
Appreciate 0