2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Spied: 5-Series GT Receives M-Sport Treatment

06-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #45
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itgb View Post
You really thought a 5GT was going to replace this. LOL
I don't fit comfortably in the sedan (and the touring is essentially the same) so yes, for me the GT DOES replace the touring. Personally, I don't really care what it looks like as long as I fit and it drives decent. The X-series doesn't really have more headroom, and, personally, I don't like the entry/egress.

I know a lot of people are hung up on the looks, but the GT isn't bad in person, and is quite comfortable inside. Also, from a security viewpoint, the GT wins, as under normal configuration, the stuff in the boot is concealed. The cover for the touring is one of those things you don't always put up, and while not significantly noisier, being able to close off the rear suspension from the main cabin does make the whole thing quieter. The touring does not have as much passenger space, and if that's a consideration, again, the GT wins.

It costs to certify any vehicle here for sale...that cost needs to be spread out over the cars sold. No for-profit company can afford to cater to support a product that does not sell enough to justify bringing it in to the USA. So, complain all you want, not enough people voted with their dollars in the past, and it's not likely to change the future. Want to change their mind? Drop a deposit off at the dealership to hold a touring for you. If enough people did this, they may reconsider...otherwise, not likely to happen. USA pretty much dropped touring (station wagons), when SUV's and cross-overs took over the landscape. There's a reason there's very few sold here, very few people bought them, and they withered in the showrooms. You can get one, but it would be grey market, cost you a fortune to get certified, and not have a US warranty. Got enough to buy at least two, so one can be crash tested? Getting the emissions to meet the US specs with our fuel with no factory support for programming and parts? Go ahead, you can probably reverse engineer it (or pay someone to do it, which is more likely). Course, after certifying one, you could then sell more of the same model easier, if you then wanted to be an importer (if BMWUSA didn't give you big grief). Your grey market's phone wouldn't work, because it would come from (probably Europe) with an incompatible system. But, you could buy a new one, but then have to pay the annual service fee. Not sure if the European versions can be reprogrammed so your FM radio station spacing can be made compatible with the US version. Your reception would be hit or miss. Lots of other little gotchas, some of which are the lights.

You should realize, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...there are lots of dogs out there married to their partner that think they are the most beautiful person in the world. Beauty is more than skin deep...the GT has the bones of a decent vehicle, and some think it is just fine the way it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #46
relic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650xi Gran Coupe

Totally agree with avus: “these rantings are becoming repetitive, and boring...”

And fully agree with jadnashuanh: “You should realize, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...there are lots of dogs out there married to their partner that think they are the most beautiful person in the world. Beauty is more than skin deep...the GT has the bones of a decent vehicle, and some think it is just fine the way it is.”

These boring whiners should go back to playing with their little toys and stop pretending they are styling experts or marketing gurus.

ENUFF!
      06-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #47
fasteddie222
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 and x1 35i

atleast they are trying to make an ugly car a little less ugly
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #48
Shazmonkee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
Better, but still unattractive
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #49
yclinn
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 Neptune Blue

What's wrong with the 5GT?
It's not as beautiful as the Z4, but much better than 5er sedan with a touch of elegance.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #50
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

The average American car buyer has different priorities and perspectives than those in most other parts of the world. Look at some of the (to us) off the wall designs sold in Japan and elsewhere...people must like them, since they sell. We get very few diesel engines here because, first, our fuel doesn't match up with Europe's (it's gotten a lot better, but is still lacking), and when the big 3 (mainly GM) tried to do a diesel car here, they really blew it. Then, people still think of diesels as soot belching, slow, hard to start, unattractive devices. Few have driven a decent modern one, and if they did, would likely change their mind. It doesn't help that on the BMW models that have diesel available, they charge a premium for it whereas they prices are on par with the gasoline versions (or cheaper) in Europe. Yes, they have to make a special version for the US (our fuel has more sulfur and the requirments are different), and that costs, but it would be really nice to have a nice one available as an option in more vehicles. The 530d GT is rated at 42mpg extraurban cycle on the European test. Try that in your gasoline engine.

There really isn't a comparable vehicle to the GT. Plus, I don't think the dealers push them. I'll be picking mine up (again) at the Performance Center in SC on Monday, then driving about 1K miles home (after the 720 miles I put on it in Germany earlier). So far, I'm glad I bought it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #51
avus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

are we STILL talking about this...

Whiners,
the 5GT was not developed/designed for you. you are not the targeted buyer. there is a market for the 5GT, you're just not part of that market. your opinion on it, while yours, doesn't really matter.
go ahead and stick with your accusations, and foregone conclusions of the car and the BMW brand... but rest assured, we'll still be here with our 5GTs and BMW will continue to develop the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 03:08 AM   #52
yclinn
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 Neptune Blue

So what's wrong again? what's the exact connection between the sales of 5GT and its looks? Any prospective randomzied controlled trial? Or it's just your opinion? That really does not matter at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
LOL ya much better that is why sales are through the roof? Sedan outsells the 5GT in one month what the 5GT will do in 1 year. That should tell you something about this cars design and what people think about it. Just plain ugly. The rear end is like an ugly Pontiac AZTEK. If you think this is prettier than the sedan than a Ferrari must look amazingly ugly to you also.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #53
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
Okay, if you think the A7 is incredibly beautiful then you're entitled to your opinion, I personally disagree. Want a tourer.. did you buy one when you could? if you did you seem to be in the vast minority! The 5GT sales for last year have already beaten the best year of sales that the 5 wagon (E61) had... you might not like it, but the fact is, americans don't get offered the wagon now because they never really bought them in the first place. The 5GT offers greater space and comfort than the A7 for the same kind of price, the 6er Gran Coupe won't offer the same practicality that either the A7 or 5GT offer, but I doubt it ever intended too - it won't compromise its looks, style or handling for the sake of practicality in the way that the A7 and 5GT do... (Aside from the A7's crushingly dull, played-out and entirely predictable styling it also suffers from a disproportionate rear end, as the 5GT does also).

I think the bottom line here is that you like the A7, and you don't like the 5GT... I think thats all you need to say, the rest of your post is kind of irrelevant.
+1 although I obviously own a GT (proud of it) the A7 debate has been beaten to death. Regardless of aesthetic appeal "to some" the A7 is comfort for those who are shorter than 6ft. 4 passengers with an average height of 5ft7in should find pure bliss

With regards to the M Sport kit, I would like to see it person.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #54
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avus View Post
these rantings are becoming repetitive, and boring...

i applaud the 5GT owners as forward-thinking and trendsetting individuals. You show good taste in purchasing a vehicle that is not a "one sausage, cut to different lengths" design (3, 5, and 7series sedans). You don't need magazine reviews to decide for you whether to love or hate a car - the same goes for 1series, and X6 owners...
like it or not, these are the owners who are defining and embracing the future of this car brand.

so all you whiners out there, buckle up and enjoy the ride...
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #55
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
People buy cars for utility or design and various other reasons. BMW is the largest manufacturer of luxury cars in the world. If they say themselves that the 5GT is a failure than that should tell you something. You may love your 5GT but it is a failure in one of the areas of either design, performance, utility or some other major area. Since the Bones as you say are great and utility is amazing, and performance is not of importance in this market than that should hint to you that it is the 5GT's design that is failing this car, like it or not.
If you look at the X6 which really has no utility, only sits 2 people comfortably and has less performance potential than the 5GT due to the center of gravit, yet sells much better than the 5GT due to design.
Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but if a majority of the people say something is ugly, than it won't sell and the 5GT is the perfect example.
Who within BMW said it was a failure? If you are referring to O'Donnell's statement you may want to re-read the article. He purports that the GT may have missed its target demographic in the US, as it has acquired buyers from the top of the line F01/F02 7 Series as well as F10 5 Series buyers. If the US wasn't such a fickle market we could probably have both the F11 and F07 on this side of the pond. I still would want the GT, no offense but the luxury of the GT is a cut above the F10/F11.

And for you Audi Fanbois the only car within Audi's stable to compare space/luxury wise with the GT is the A8. IMHO a 550 GT will embarrass an A8, much like how I pulled a B8 S4 with exhaust from a roll. Left him like he was standing still He gave an eager after taking his licking. Don't get it twisted, the GT drives/handles well too

Flame suit on
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:51 AM   #56
Actualizer
Actualizer
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 488 Spyder, X6M on or

Quote:
Originally Posted by avus View Post
these rantings are becoming repetitive, and boring...

i applaud the 5GT owners as forward-thinking and trendsetting individuals. You show good taste in purchasing a vehicle that is not a "one sausage, cut to different lengths" design (3, 5, and 7series sedans). You don't need magazine reviews to decide for you whether to love or hate a car - the same goes for 1series, and X6 owners...
like it or not, these are the owners who are defining and embracing the future of this car brand.

so all you whiners out there, buckle up and enjoy the ride...
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #57
monikaann
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325 I

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
no a fan whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #58
wellfever
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 GT

I trade in my E70 X5 for a F07 GT. I love it
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #59
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by monikaann View Post
no a fan whatsoever.

This is what Maika wants...

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #60
22andcounting
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d Sophisto Grey/Cinnamon

That looks so much better, if they put the new 2.0d twin turbo in it, as per the new 525d I think it could be a reasonable seller
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #61
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep
Drives: 335CIC & 35i X6

Just traded my 2008 x6 for a 335GT. X6 was a great looking truck, GT is a so-so looking car. I miss my x6, but am slowly warming to the GT. In Black, the lines are not so visible and it shrinks the whole thing as this is a large car. Longer than my x6 by 4 inches. Longer wheelbase too. Fantastic interior, way more upscale than the x6 and more comfortable seats, and I had comfort seats in the x6. I prefer the 335GT to the x6 on any highway trip. I test drove the A7 and really liked it, but the difference in price from a slightly used 335GT was 16k. I'll keep my money and enjoy my 335GT for a good long while. I have a unique ride once more, and people "out there" don't seem to see it as ugly as we experts in here. I have even had people tell me it's beautiful! Cheap
      07-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #62
blkcofy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 550i GT Sport Dinan

Thank you AVUS. It just tickles me silly, to see how other apparently passionate Ultimate Driving Machine owners go out of their way to type junk about an automobile they either can't understand, refuse to understand, or both. That's like me following a Rolls Royce post to talk about how boxy or stodgy the Phantom looks...all while hiding the 'green envy' look on my face that I can't even afford the insurance payments on the car, but feel somehow compelled to trash the design for those that can.

I love my car, my second BMW acquisition. No bull, this Dinan GT might be an acquired taste, but one that can kick the butt of pretty much anything that dares challenge me...while lulling my kids to sleep in the back seat from all the space and comfort of a....well, a Rolls Royce! LOL!!! And since I've now figured out how to launch the car (brake pedal/gas) with the Sport II engaged...it's just darn ridiculous...yet grown up and refined!

550i GT Black Sapphire Metallic w/ Ivory White and Black Nappa Leather, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package, Black Foose Legend Staggered 20s, DVDinMotion software, H&R Lowering Springs, Black Kidney Grill swap, and the Dinan Stage 2 Performance Software: 501 HP @ 5000 RPM / 580 FT-LBS @ 3500 RPM (w/ Cobra iRadar)

Last edited by blkcofy; 07-17-2011 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #63
Kenny65
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

I've read the posts on the GT and I find them comical. I just purchases a black GT, and I absolutely love it. I love the looks also! The rear end is probably the least attractive area on the vehicle, but I love the overall look! Previous to this I had an 07' 550i white with the M kit 20" wheels, the works. I like the GT hands down more that I did the 550i. The GT has more room, is more comfortable...I tinted the windows and it looks really nice on the black. LOVE this car! Those speaking on it who have not driven one...just stay in your little worlds with your little A7. No one with common sense would pick that over a GT!

Last edited by Kenny65; 10-08-2011 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #64
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
BMW really blew it with the 5 GT. Compare it to the incredibly beautiful Audi A7 which is very similar in most respects. The 5 Gt could have easily been as beautiful. BMW intentionally uglied it up so that it would drive people into the upcoming grossly over priced 6 Series 4 door Gran Coupe. The Gran coupe will attempt to compete with the $25,000 cheaper Audi A7. The Audi A7 is here now and is getting great reviews. BMW dropped the 5er sport wagon in the US in a mindless attempt to drive those BMW Enthusiasts into the 5GT. What happened is that those BMW Enthusiasts in the US desiring a 5er wagon took a pass on the ugliest BMW in recent history and bought the MB wagon. Then Audi comes out with the incredibly beautiful Audi A7 making gross design shortfalls of the 5GT even more apparent. They price at a very reasonable number in relation to the 6er Gran Coupe and Audi has a huge hit. Meanwhile BMW looks for ways to ditch the 5 GT because the dealers won't stock them because very few people want an expensive, ugly car even if it is a BMW with a large cabin. BMW has made great product decisions in the recent past, however the 5 GT is a gross blunder. The upcoming Gran Coupe is being undercut by the beautiful, fairly priced Audi A7. Plus it will probably draw some sales away from the current 5 er for those who desire a really cool looking car.

Okay, if you think the A7 is incredibly beautiful then you're entitled to your opinion, I personally disagree. Want a tourer.. did you buy one when you could? if you did you seem to be in the vast minority! The 5GT sales for last year have already beaten the best year of sales that the 5 wagon (E61) had... you might not like it, but the fact is, americans don't get offered the wagon now because they never really bought them in the first place. The 5GT offers greater space and comfort than the A7 for the same kind of price, the 6er Gran Coupe won't offer the same practicality that either the A7 or 5GT offer, but I doubt it ever intended too - it won't compromise its looks, style or handling for the sake of practicality in the way that the A7 and 5GT do... (Aside from the A7's crushingly dull, played-out and entirely predictable styling it also suffers from a disproportionate rear end, as the 5GT does also).

I think the bottom line here is that you like the A7, and you don't like the 5GT... I think thats all you need to say, the rest of your post is kind of irrelevant.
The A7's so called disproportionate rear end, as you say, actually follows the Pininfarina Italian design house philosophy, as did many Alfas, Ferraris, Maseratis, and Lamborghinis. The A7 looks as it should.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #65
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
BMW really blew it with the 5 GT. Compare it to the incredibly beautiful Audi A7 which is very similar in most respects. The 5 Gt could have easily been as beautiful. BMW intentionally uglied it up so that it would drive people into the upcoming grossly over priced 6 Series 4 door Gran Coupe. The Gran coupe will attempt to compete with the $25,000 cheaper Audi A7. The Audi A7 is here now and is getting great reviews. BMW dropped the 5er sport wagon in the US in a mindless attempt to drive those BMW Enthusiasts into the 5GT. What happened is that those BMW Enthusiasts in the US desiring a 5er wagon took a pass on the ugliest BMW in recent history and bought the MB wagon. Then Audi comes out with the incredibly beautiful Audi A7 making gross design shortfalls of the 5GT even more apparent. They price at a very reasonable number in relation to the 6er Gran Coupe and Audi has a huge hit. Meanwhile BMW looks for ways to ditch the 5 GT because the dealers won't stock them because very few people want an expensive, ugly car even if it is a BMW with a large cabin. BMW has made great product decisions in the recent past, however the 5 GT is a gross blunder. The upcoming Gran Coupe is being undercut by the beautiful, fairly priced Audi A7. Plus it will probably draw some sales away from the current 5 er for those who desire a really cool looking car.
People actually fit in the GT as opposed to the A7. I'll take function over form.
Appreciate 0