2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum The Official "Tip-In" / "Acceleration/Throttle Delay" Resolution Thread

08-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Sonnie
Bama Hillbilly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 528i

The Official "Tip-In" / "Acceleration/Throttle Delay" Resolution Thread

The Official "Tip-In" / "Acceleration Delay" / "Throttle Lag" / "Initial Take-Off" Issue for the 2011 528i – Solutions and Complaint Filing Instructions

Introduction

You are at a busy intersection trying to squeeze your way out into the heavy traffic. You see an opening and mash the gas pedal, but the car does not seem to respond immediately…. it hesitates…. or it slowly pokes. You want to open the door, stick your foot down on the pavement (remember the Flintstones) and get the car moving…. the person in the car behind you is screaming at you, GO! GO! GO! FOOL! ….WHAT ARE YOU WAITING ON? You frantically keep mashing the gas pedal and all of the sudden, wham…. you are jerked into oblivion and take off…. heading straight for the hospital for one of two reasons, you either have whiplash or someone has plowed into the side of you because you were poking for too long.

OK, OK…. so maybe that is a tiny bit of an exaggeration, but I also bet it ain't too far from several real stories, if not nearly spot on.

The "tip-in", "acceleration delay", "initial take-off" issue is serious and a safety issue. Read the threads and user reviews complaining about it and note how many owners are concerned about the unknown. If you attempt to feather the acceleration, will the car take off fast enough and/or jolt you…. is it going to go or not? The unknown can be dangerous.

This issue is not new with the 2011 models. It has been around for several years in several BMW models, but apparently has become most noticeable in models with the N52 engines (and maybe some others). However, from my investigations, it appears in the 2011 528i models, it has become more pronounced…. more aggressive…. and therefore more noticeable and more of an annoyance…. as well as more of a safety issue.

Quite frankly, I do not see how BMW ignores this as they do. With the extreme number of complaints about it…. and the fact that many have turned away from buying BMW vehicles for this one reason, AND as smart as their engineers are with nearly every other aspect of their vehicles, I am in near complete unbelief that they have not figured out a solution to this issue. Very few people are ever going to understand or accept that this is normal acceleration behavior for a vehicle, regardless of who makes it.

This thread and the instructions that follow for filing a complaint are specific to the 528i and not the 535i. However, it appears that the software update SIB 12 9 11, which is mentioned in various places, will fix the issue in the 535i models…. and is specific ONLY to the 535i and not the 528i. It has been reported that this software update does not fix the 528i, although there seems to be some unconfirmed reports that a few 528i owners have had this update and it did fix the issue. If this has been confirmed, please post in this thread and let us know. Even if it has worked for some 528i owners, there are several Service Advisors that will not apply this update because it is not assigned to the 528i.

From page 2 of the SIB:

Situation
E7x (X5, X6) with N55 up to 12/2010, F07/F10 (5 Series) with N55 to 2/2011
Delayed throttle response when driving off

The Blogs, Discussions and Reviews are Numerous

There are several articles/threads/blogs referencing this issue…. many of the major reviews mention it, as well as numerous user reviews. Obviously they all cannot be included, but here are a few links if you want to take the time to read over some of them:

"Tip-In" and "Initial Acceleration" problems fixed

PROBLEM SOLVED!!... If your F10 has hesitation or jerks at 0-10 mph

Is there a 'Tip-in' fix for the 528i?

2011 BMW 528i: It's Not Just Me!

2011 BMW 528i: Delivering the Power

Tip-in, jerk, hesitation, operating as designed?

What BMW Owners Are Saying

Highlighted comments from various places about this issue (some editing for spelling and grammar):

I was experiencing the same as many others where if you are at a complete stop and you go to accelerate the car doesn't respond right away and you naturally apply more gas and then the car jumps ahead of you. If you were to move to the D/S position, the car was perfect and you didn't experience any lag in acceleration... it was almost like the car was set to start off in 2nd gear vs 1st.

Don't know how to explain it....seems pedal has to be pressed more than it should before getting an immediate throttle response. Like a small dead spot, I suppose. Only in normal mode. No lag in sport mode. Response is immediate.

It has scared me a few times when pulling out from a stop sign into traffic, thinking you have plenty of time and ease onto the accelerator only to find yourself moving like a snail, then having to stomp on it to get moving as traffic nears.

It's not the engine's response I am worried about. It's the ability to drive smoothly. I cannot, and neither can my wife, get this car to pull away from either a dead stop or a slight rolling stop smoothly and with consistent speed, more than 20% of the time.

You have three options normally for takeoff in this car: you have to feather the throttle and creep away like a cat burglar; tromp on it and leave like Don Garlits; or use normal throttle input, have nothing happen for 2 seconds, and then feel like a garbage truck just rear ended you.

I have a 2009 528i w/ Sport Package. My 5th BMW. They gave me a loaner 2011 528i for my last service and I still can't get over how differently they drove. The 2011 felt bigger but not just that the throttle tip in was much more agressive and combined with the loose electric steering it was very disappointing.

If this car was being used for a limo service, the driver would have no repeat customers. If your kids take their driver's exam in this car, they'll fail. It really is that bad.

I noticed this with an F10 528 loaner. That throttle lag is not fun, especially if you need to get out of a situation.

It's not a delay which decreases a transient surge. It INCREASES the transient surge as the car does not respond to the throttle for a half second then bolts forward with an awkward lurch and a slam. It's much rougher than a normal takeoff would be. It's not at all smooth. Some have described it as being rear-ended.

For the sake of clear discussion, let's not call it lag. Let's call it a "lack of a linear response to the throttle pedal".

I can't figure for the life of me why BMW would design it this way intentionally. It just makes the car hard to drive smoothly from a standing start. It's stupid. It's not the end of the world but it is stupid.

I have demonstrated to my tech that I get a 2 second lag when stepping on it as I coast down to 20mph. He readily agreed that it was an issue. My approach is that it is a safety issue (which it seriously is) and I have been presenting it this way.

Edmunds Inside Line has noted the same issue with their long term 528 as well. Its not the turbo, its the throttle and transmission programming. Its not related to actual engine power at all.

I was dumbfounded as I wanted to accelerate smoothly (half way floored gas pedal) from about 35mph to notice that bothersome delay and the sudden surge as the car shifted down one or two gears.

My wife has been driving my car a lot lately to keep the miles down. She would agree with this, the lack of a linear response makes her nervous. She commented the other day that she has to wait for a much bigger opening.

I have a Honda that is also "drive by wire", and the throttle response of that car is instant and consistent throughout its entire pedal travel, not at all like the laziness of the BMW.

I was at the dealership yesterday and asked my SA about it. She stated that they have seen the issue with the 528i and seemed to admit there is a problem with that model.

I simply blamed too many gears in the transmission! Was I wrong? I don't know... because the salesman then told me to try the manual sport mode and the hesitation promptly went away!

Whether or not this is considered technically a safety delay, I do agree that there is one on the F10, and was one on my prior E39...but not as pronounced. That being said, I would hope you all realize that there is at least one aftermarket BMW supplier out there that makes an electronic harness specifically made to delete this delay. I have not looked yet, but would imagine they are working on an F10 solution as well, if not already having it.

I was yielding at an intersection to make a left turn, and in ANY of the cars I've previously owned (BMWs, Audis, Jeeps) I would have stepped on it and cleared the intersection with ease. With the F10, I waited for oncoming cars to pass to be on the safe side. Not cool.

Toyota was forced to do a massive recall because of unintended acceleration that probably was caused by floor mats or something inane like that, not the vehicle electronics. Here, we have a similar problem affecting acceleration, apparently caused by a shortcoming in the drive by wire throttle software, and there's no acknowledgement that a problem exists. What would be required to get the exposure needed for a recall? Is this problem potentially dangerous or is it just annoying?

My issue is what happens when someone uses the car that either has never driven it before or drives it infrequently and is used to instant acceleration when stepping on the throttle?

In my judgement, If I look in my mirror and decide that it would be in my best interest to make more space between whatever I see and myself - and command my 300HP vehicle to get a move on by stepping deeply into my peddle - and it doesn't respond for 2 seconds (50 feet of unwanted closure at only 35mph vehicle-to-vehicle speed difference), I'd call that dangerous. Wouldn't you? I think BMW would agree. Now let's hope they can fix it.

I guess it will take a few accidents, deaths and a lot of bad publicity to get something done on this.

This needs to be recalled. It's a big safety issue.

There Are Some Solutions

While it seems only to be a temporary fix, you can reset the "Throttle Body Adaption", which resets the "Adaptive Driver Memory" feature by following these steps:

1) Press the Start button once to turn on power. Do not press the brake pedal and do not start the engine.
2) Press the accelerator down to the floor for up to 60 seconds. You should hear clicking to indicate it is resetting.
3) Press the Start button again to turn the power off.
4) Now remove your foot from the accelerator.
5) Wait TWO minutes and start up the vehicle like normal.

Many have stated this solved their acceleration delay, but in most cases it has to be reset weekly or monthly. In some cases owners have stated it did not have any effect.

A more permanent solution is to purchase an aftermarket product that will eliminate the delay. Sprint Booster has confirmed that they will have a module that will remap the throttle response hopefully within the next month or so. It cost a few hundred dollars, but may be worth it to some. I have read that it will void your warranty, as well as it will not void your warranty. I have not asked BMW, so you are own your own in figuring that out, but it is widely used and very effective according to those who have used it on previous models.

A Final and Permanent Solution – What Can We Do?

For those who want a BMW supplied permanent solution, the only way to get BMW to move on this is for there to be enough formal complaints so that BMW will take serious notice and/or it becomes a serious safety issue to BMW.

First, contact your Service Advisor at your local BMW dealer. If there are other BMW dealers within an hour or two, contact an SA at those dealers as well. See if you can get a regional SA involved.

Second, file a formal complaint with BMW North America by telephone….....

Contact BMW NA by calling their Customer Relations at 1-800-831-1117.

Third, file a formal complaint with BMW NA by writing to them:

BMW of North America, LLC
300 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677-7731

Fourth, file a formal complaint with NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)….....

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

NHTSA will document the complaints…..... and by law they are required to report the complaints to BMW. Similar to the Better Business Bureau, if enough complaints are filed, they will investigate and may very well eventually force BMW to offer a resolution.

Be as specific as possible in all your explanations and documentation. You can give examples of how you feel it is dangerous and a safety issue. You can also state that BMW has recognized it as an issue in the 535i models, calling it an "Acceleration Delay" and have issued an SIB software update to repair it, but have not done so for the 528i.

Fifth, as user wildvan mentions elsewhere... contact your local State Attorney General Office and file a complaint. (Example) They will forward the complaint to BMW and require a response.

The idea is to get as MANY complaints issued to BMW NA as possible, in hopes that they will realize their customers are not happy and fully believe this is a serious safety issue.

If you have any further information to help those who want a permanent solution fix for their 2011 528i, please share the information here. Thanks!

Thanks to user UNCtarheels for providing an abundance of helpful information for all of us.

Last edited by Sonnie; 08-17-2011 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: Added recommendation to contact State Attorney General
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List

About as good as it gets, well done!
      08-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
PR_F10_535
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10 535i

I hope more ppl join in n try to fix this problem, yes we can!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
ddd269
Private
Chile
Rep
Drives: F10 528iA Silver

Not in the U.S. but cheers!

I have the same problems and it gets better for a little bit when the computer gets reset... then a few days/weeks later it happens again.

Hope your and the other forum member's insistence works!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
Dr. Mohammed
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i 2010 (f10)

That's a great post!

long story short: I have this exact problem and others like jolting which was fixed. The good thing is that the dealership claims that they found a solution, which is changing a certain part in the throttle. I'll drop the car at the dealership in a few days. Patience my fellow sufferers. I'll update you with my results.

---
To comment on some of the points in Sonnie's post:
1- I have tried that throttle reset technique and it didn't work.
2- I have insisted on my dealership to take an action and they did with the help of the workshop manager and so much patience from my side. He filed a Puma report to BMW Germany to find a solution. Firstly, he managed to fix the jolting problem, but I was still having this delay in the throttle. So, they've sent another report to Germany and got the above answer.

Last edited by Dr. Mohammed; 08-12-2011 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
Sonnie
Bama Hillbilly
United_States
Rep

That is very promising news Dr. Mohammed... and I certainly look forward to hearing back from you on that solution.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
RC3
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 528i

Garage List
2011 F10 528i  [10.00]
Sonnie, thanks for the great post.

Not in the States so probably can't write to complain.

I only have the problem with sport mode. with normal it's fine, no jerk. Tried the reset method, did not help. We really need more voices.

I took my car in the dealer a couple of months ago. They re-insatll the softwares for the throttle and transmission, did not help. The SA told me there is no software update to fix this problem.

Let's see if we can organize a group compliant here in Hong Kong from a few more 528i members.

2011 F10 528i Black Sapphire / Oyster Black
2000 E46 325ci Cabrio Titanium Silver / Black - retired
1997 E36/7 Z3 Montreal Blue / Black - retired
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnie View Post
The "tip-in", "acceleration delay", "initial take-off" issue is serious and a safety issue. Read the threads and user reviews complaining about it and note how many owners are concerned about the unknown. If you attempt to feather the acceleration, will the car take off fast enough and/or jolt you…. is it going to go or not? The unknown can be dangerous.

This issue is not new with the 2011 models. It has been around for several years in several BMW models, but apparently has become most noticeable in models with the N52 engines (and maybe some others). However, from my investigations, it appears in the 2011 528i models, it has become more pronounced…. more aggressive…. and therefore more noticeable and more of an annoyance…. as well as more of a safety issue.
This whole saga is an interesting one. But is this sort of issue just with BMW?

We run VW Caravelles and the latest couple have the 2.0d bi-turbo diesels with DSG (dual clutch) autos. Guess what? We are getting exactly the same issue with one of them, the other perfect.

Rolling start into traffic flows can become a complete unknown, verges on dangerous, as it messes up what are initially good judgements. Other drivers can wonder what you are about, when you have to abort a move.

I'm definitely suspecting transmission software in the VW, as the dual clutch transmission should be good for go at all times, but still messes up. But with two identical setups, why is one fine and the other a mess? There has to be more than just software. I do wonder if, with all the variations, fixes that seem to work (for a while), same thing on others doesn't do anything, is all down to tolerance stacks in the build. It may have got all too sensitive, and we are finding the issues, BMW, VW, or whoever.

I do hope we are not going back to "good 'uns" and "bad 'uns", that's no way forward for any motor manufacturer.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Sonnie
Bama Hillbilly
United_States
Rep

One thing that really stands out to me is that Burger Motorsports and Sprint Booster have produced products that can totally eliminate the lag. Granted, they cost about $300, but if they can produce a product that eliminates it altogether, then there is no reason BMW cannot program it to eliminate it as well.

I have not researched these products in great depth, but from what I have read thus far, owners who use them have reported no more lag and that their car is fun to drive again. The question for me is do they effect the gas mileage. According to Terry at BMS and Ken at SB, as long as you do not change your driving habits, there is no effect on the gas mileage. If this is indeed the case, then BMW's claim that the lag is to help with fuel efficiency is in question... and maybe that is a scapegoat for a more serious issue that will cost them dearly if they were to admit it is a problem and have to recall hundreds of thousands of cars. Then again, they seem to have already admitted it being a problem in the 535i and issued a software update for it. I do not understand how they can admit it is a problem in the 535i, but state it is normal for a 528i. Two different 535i owners also stated their gas mileage improved after the software update. Go figure! Hey... I will take a software update and improved gas mileage if a software update will eliminate the lag.... who wouldn't?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #10
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

Well done Sonnie... way to go carrying the flag on this one!

This should definitely be a sticky!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Um, unless your car has wings, carries commercial passengers, drives on railroad tracks, or otherwise uses pipelines then the NTSB probably won't give a damn about your torpid throttle.

I think you mean to say what your link is trying to tell you. The proper agency to report your safety concerns is the NHTSA and not the NTSB.

[QUOTE=Sonnie;10214111][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Arial]
Fourth, file a formal complaint with NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board)Â….....

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

NTSB will document the complaintsÂ…..... and by law they are required to report the complaints to BMW. Similar to the Better Business Bureau, if enough complaints are filed, they will investigate and may very well eventually force BMW to offer a resolution.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
Sonnie
Bama Hillbilly
United_States
Rep

Looking at some of these aftermarket wheels and tires... I think some would drive on railroad tracks with no problems. HOWEVER... error noted and info updated to reflect the correct agency. Thanks for the clarification.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #13
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Great post, If aftermaket companies can, so can BMW. My IQ is telling me they have not fixed it for a reason or they designed it that way for a reason. I would bet to save fuel and meet standards.

Last edited by scottz5; 08-15-2011 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz5 View Post
Great post, If aftermaket companies can, so can BMW. My IQ is telling me they have not fixed it for a reason or they designed it that way for a reason. I would bet to save fuel and meet standards.
yeah, it's so that they can write 20mpg City on the EPA sticker.
      08-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
Sonnie
Bama Hillbilly
United_States
Rep

Strange enough though, a couple of the 535i owners claim their gas mileage has improved since the software update that fixed their issue. That leads me to believe it really is not needed for better gas mileage.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #16
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Strange enough though, a couple of the 535i owners claim their gas mileage has improved since the software update that fixed their issue. That leads me to believe it really is not needed for better gas mileage.
I call bs, mine is down after the update and the hesitation is also back.

No disrespect it's a well written post, but BMW is doing it for the feds. This not a problem and will never be for BMW, it's a means to better MPG for the government stardards. Just trying to be an honest person and anyone that does this op is wasting time.

Really no disrespect I just see things from a different angle.

BMW if your reading I could always come on board. Lol

peace

Last edited by scottz5; 08-15-2011 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #17
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
yeah, it's so that they can write 20mpg City on the EPA sticker.
Gatoman39 is a really bright dude read his post.

Peace
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #18
Sonnie
Bama Hillbilly
United_States
Rep

We have no reason to believe anyone claiming better gas mileage is not telling the truth. They really have no reason to lie about it. It is disrespectful to accuse them of lying just because yours in not better. Sorry your update did not work out for you, but none the less, that is for a different thread. This is more for 528i owners who are not offered the software update.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #19
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
We have no reason to believe anyone claiming better gas mileage is not telling the truth. They really have no reason to lie about it. It is disrespectful to accuse them of lying just because yours in not better. Sorry your update did not work out for you, but none the less, that is for a different thread. This is more for 528i owners who are not offered the software update.
Once again a well written op.

Ok I was being nice your op talks about both cars. If you reread my post the hesitation returned just like the reset you describe in your op and my mpg went down .5. I think the D cars have it to but I am not 100% I think I read a few reviews that talked about the hesitation. Don't be sorry it did not work. If it fixed the hesitation, it would work for all cars with the new version of software. but I guess you could call bs on me it's the Internet after all.

Look at the big picture the 550 has none, 535 a little, and the 528 the most. What does that mean? Guess what a smaller engine is on for 2012. BMW has no choice if they want to keep making M cars. It's all about regulations. Think what you want and if you don't like the car sell it and move on. Life is to short to be unhappy. I was just trying to save you time and stress. Sorry, if you were offended and I hope you get what you desire.

Not sure if I stated it but I hate the hesitation especially after driving my wife's car. I think my brain is programmed to just hit the gas harder.

No disrespect to anyone that told him you got better mpg. If you did please post your view on this. Is your hesitation back? I would love to read others views.

Peace

Last edited by scottz5; 08-15-2011 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: Saying sorry
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #20
Sonnie
Bama Hillbilly
United_States
Rep

I am not offended... I was simply making a statement in response to your disrespect of others. They may be offended... not sure.

The comments about better mpg are written in other threads. I simply read where two 535i owners made that statement. Look around, you will find it and you can argue with them all you want.

I don't think any of us have stated we don't like our cars, we simply do not like this particular issue. I am not unhappy, I simply dislike this issue. I am very happy and blessed beyond what I deserve, but I don't like this problem. Let me be the judge of what I need to do with my car, thank you. Remember, no one is forcing you to participate.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #21
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am not offended... I was simply making a statement in response to your disrespect of others. They may be offended... not sure.

The comments about better mpg are written in other threads. I simply read where two 535i owners made that statement. Look around, you will find it and you can argue with them all you want.

I don't think any of us have stated we don't like our cars, we simply do not like this particular issue. I am not unhappy, I simply dislike this issue. I am very happy and blessed beyond what I deserve, but I don't like this problem. Let me be the judge of what I need to do with my car, thank you. Remember, no one is forcing you to participate.
IMO this issue is dead, waste your time if you like. I am out.

Peace

Last edited by scottz5; 08-16-2011 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #22
Sonnie
Bama Hillbilly
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz5 View Post
I am out.
Bye!
Appreciate 0