2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Rear tyre problem - Advice please!

01-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #45
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 520D MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by agar1958 View Post
Thanks Rob
I think need to do some posting to get into the PM system. i'll get my 12 year old to keep me in line.

John
Hi John

I think you need 5 posts to be able to PM - you're one away!!

Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #46
agar1958
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 SERIES GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickers1972 View Post
Hi John

Can you set your profile to receive Private Messages & I will forward you some further information.

Rob
Hi Rob
That's my 5 posts completed. So hopefully i can now receive your information.

Many thanks
John
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #47
Stingray2
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilThomas View Post
Hello guys, just signed up.....I've got a 2011 GT 535d, 15k....with a burst rear tyre offside, nearside down to the wire.

The tyre air pressure alarm did not sound at all (unlike my previous 320d), so its come as a huge shock to me that the rear tyres are 'gone'....15k!!!

I too check the tyre pressures, so I am will be armed with this info when I tackle Sytner Newport after Xmas.

Phil
Phil, did you tackle Sytner with your issue at all? If so how did you get on?

Julian
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #48
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agar1958 View Post
Hi Rob
That's my 5 posts completed. So hopefully i can now receive your information.

Many thanks
John
Hi John

I still can't PM you for some reason.
Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #49
Stingray2
Rep

Quote:
Hi John

Rob
John, you probably need to enable Private Messaging in your options. Go to "User CP" at the top of the screen, then select "Edit Options" and you should find a tick box to enable private messaging.
Good luck.

Julian
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #50
agar1958
Rep

Quote:
Hi John

Rob
Rob
I have ticked the PM enable box so hopefully it should now work although i see it says it can take upto 48 hours from the 5th posting to update the system.

John
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #51
PhilThomas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW GT 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2 View Post
Phil, did you tackle Sytner with your issue at all? If so how did you get on?

Julian
Julian,

My car goes in for a service soon, so I"ll go through the matter with the Service Manager is some detail.

I'll update with any news.

Phil
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #52
Stingray2
Rep

Quote:
Hi Guys,
Here's an update on my current situation.
My car went into my local BMW dealer on Wednesday 11th January for its 4 wheel alignment KDS check. The dealership then forwarded the result of this check to BMW along with the "PUMA" case. On Friday 13th January I received a call from the dealership saying the car was ready and they would explain the paperwork when I arrived.

Upon arrival I was shown the print out of all the alignment readings and was informed that there was an alignment problem. I was then charged £150 (after thay had tried to charge me £366 which I wasn't happy about!).

Having got home I looked at the paperwork and reailised that the problem they had found was on the front wheels NOT the rear. The issues highlighted were as follows:

1) Cross Castor measured as +0°31' the target reading is 0°30

2) Cross Toe Out On Turns measured as +0°37' the target reading is 0°30

3) Cross Camber measured as +0°32 the target reading is 0°30

All other measurements fell within spec.

I contacted the dealership and argued that the issue they had found was not on the axle where the wear is. Also (I,m not an expert but have taken advice) the readings were only slightly out of spec (surely there should be some tolerence on the readings!).
However, they have told me they are only following BMW's advice and that as there is not an issue with the rear suspension then I need to replace the tyres and take the issue up with Goodyear. How's that for customer service

I have pushed the issue with the after sales manager and he has agreed to speak to BMW again on Monday/ Tuesday to see what they say, but I get the feeling that this is going to be an issue that they are aware of but are not going to want to admit to.

So once again I will have to wait for the outcome of these discussions.

Julian

Update on the ongoing SAGA:
BMW have now accepted that the rear wheel alignment was OK on my car and have now refunded the £150 charge made to check this. However, they have stated that I have to replace the tyres, at my cost, and the old tyres need to be returned to Goodyear for them to inspect. So I have had 2 new PIRELLI 275/35 20 Runflats fitted (£705) by the dealer and they are returning them to Goodyear for me. Incidentally, they damaged the paint on one of my wheels in the process . So I will have to get my spray can out and repair it (thank heavens for Wurth spray paint!).
The Goodyear return and inspection process will take approx 4-6 weeks, so another long wait to get a resolution. I can't help thinking that if you had a gearbox fault, for example, you would not be expected to pay for a new gearbox and then wait for it to be checked over by the manufacturer!

Anyway, I will update again when I have something to add.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #53
Mole10r
Rep
Drives: GT M-sport (white ) 20" alloys

can i take it that new uk GT's will come with pzeros ??
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #54
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Think is may depend on which suspension and tire size is fitted as to what tire comes on the vehicle. It may also depend on supply at the time of build.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #55
Foxy2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530 SE GT Sept 2010

GT tyre problems too

I have had my 530GT for 12 months and love the car. It had a new engine in at 8500 miles as it dropped 3 valves in one cylinder when doing 70 mph!!!

Complained about the bumpy ride on my 20" wheels (live in a rural area) and all the dealership did was to reduce the pressures to 30psi.

Took the car in yesterday for a mini service and they pointed out that the rear tyres are wearing on the inside edge. I put this down to th incorrect tyre pressures. Had a long argument with the service staff as they were unsure what the proper pressures should be. I have 245-45-20 front and 275-35-20 rear, Goodyears.

They also told me that this was normal wear for the geometry of the car as the rear camber is set up this way. Same in the X5 & X6.

Has anyone had any compensation form either BMW or Goodyear?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #56
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy2 View Post
I have had my 530GT for 12 months and love the car. It had a new engine in at 8500 miles as it dropped 3 valves in one cylinder when doing 70 mph!!!

Complained about the bumpy ride on my 20" wheels (live in a rural area) and all the dealership did was to reduce the pressures to 30psi.

Took the car in yesterday for a mini service and they pointed out that the rear tyres are wearing on the inside edge. I put this down to th incorrect tyre pressures. Had a long argument with the service staff as they were unsure what the proper pressures should be. I have 245-45-20 front and 275-35-20 rear, Goodyears.

They also told me that this was normal wear for the geometry of the car as the rear camber is set up this way. Same in the X5 & X6.

Has anyone had any compensation form either BMW or Goodyear?
Please see my earlier posts (36 I think). BMW are fully aware of this issue & you should pursue it with them. Happy to DM you details of my case.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #57
Foxy2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530 SE GT Sept 2010

Had a response from my BMW garage after my argument with them and subsequently sending them a print out of some of this threads comment.
Their response is quote"

As you can see the tyre wear on the vehicles mentioned is not on any individual vehicle as this is a design feature of the model range, this is how the suspension is set up to achieve ultimate drive for the vehicles.
The camber on the rear wheels is a feature of not just the 5GT, but on other models too.

Your tyres are not worn to the extent of some as mentioned in the article, yours are 5 mm on the outer and centre with 3 & 4 mm on inner edges, some of the mentioned vehicles are / were worn the canvas & cords.

I do not view this as a 'dangerous fault'. Routine checks of the tyres would show if replacement is required much before a dangerous situation is reached.
This is one of the many reasons that as a dealership we offer Visual Vehicle safety checks at anytime and at no costs to our customers, to avoid this type of scenario.

As per our earlier conversation, the recommended tyre pressures on your vehicle are 2.5 bar on the front and 2.6 bar on the rear.
"

They are blaming the uneven wear on a "design characteristic"!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #58
agar1958
Rep

What tyres do you have? Goodyear excellence apppear to be the brand with the rear inner corner issue. It is really obvious if you have the issue -the wear occurs right on the inner corner with the rest of the tread looking ok. I have had the alignment checked - no fault found and now the tyres have been sent to Goodyear for their assessment. Hopeful of a positive outcome even if the process is long.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #59
Derek07465
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 530 SE GT

Tyre issue 5 GT

Hi, first time on this and not sure what I'm doing like someone else. I took my GT in today for its 18,000 mile service. Guess what my two rear tyres are shown wear on the inside edges, I need two new tyres, £446 each plus KDS alignment at another £221. Really pleased I googled this as my BMW dealer said, never heard about this before. I can't work out how to contact Rob, can anyone help me. My tyres are Goodyears.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #60
Derek07465
United Kingdom
Rep

Rob, in an effort to get to 5 posts, you didn't use Williams in Stockport did you ?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #61
Derek07465
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry everyone, another of my posts to get to five, this has really wound me up.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #62
Derek07465
United Kingdom
Rep

Number 4, can't wait till the morning to challenge the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #63
Derek07465
United Kingdom
Rep

Okay, this is number 5, I'll let you know how I get on
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #64
Derek07465
United Kingdom
Rep

Well had the conversation with BMW today and got nowhere, they said speak with your dealer. They said it is just down to wear, and tyres still on back order, cant give a date but suggested it might be 10 days, what a joke.

I've ordered p zeros now from elsewhere. This is my first BMW and I love the car but I would get better customer service from my garage down the road.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #65
Noodles23
Private
Rep
Drives: 530D GT

P Zeros seem to give 10k miles more life, and are £100 cheaper
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #66
Stingray2
Rep

finally resolved

Quote:
Update on the ongoing SAGA:
BMW have now accepted that the rear wheel alignment was OK on my car and have now refunded the £150 charge made to check this. However, they have stated that I have to replace the tyres, at my cost, and the old tyres need to be returned to Goodyear for them to inspect. So I have had 2 new PIRELLI 275/35 20 Runflats fitted (£705) by the dealer and they are returning them to Goodyear for me. Incidentally, they damaged the paint on one of my wheels in the process . So I will have to get my spray can out and repair it (thank heavens for Wurth spray paint!).
The Goodyear return and inspection process will take approx 4-6 weeks, so another long wait to get a resolution. I can't help thinking that if you had a gearbox fault, for example, you would not be expected to pay for a new gearbox and then wait for it to be checked over by the manufacturer!

Anyway, I will update again when I have something to add.
Hi all,
Back in January I promised to update when I had something to add, well here we are in June and I can now give the promised update!

My tyres were sent to Goodyear and eventually were looked at. Goodyear seemed to agree that there was an issue and refunded me for the unworn portion of the tread. This came in the form of a cheque for £388, which was 55% of the replacement cost of two tyres. Unfortunately it took a long time for the cheque to be forwarded to me by the BMW dealership and it wasn"t until I contacted James Bell at BMW UK that this finally got passed on to me. I also complained about the poor service from BMW and was compensated with a £350 BMW credit.

I have also expressed my concerns, regarding the issue of tyre wear on 5 GT's with 20 inch rims, to James Bell at BMW and he has acknowledged that it is something that is apparent on some vehicles. Unfortunately anyone with this issue will, probably, have to go through this same process.

So if you are experiencing signs of this wear issue and the dealership will not acknowledge it, tell them to contact James Bell. He is aware of at LEAST two cases of this and may know of more.

Good luck all.
Appreciate 0