2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Replacing lower front windshield gasket

03-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
sophistograu528i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Replacing lower front windshield gasket

Hey guys and gals,

In my never ending quest to replace rubber components on the 528i that are deteriorating and/or cracking in an amazingly short amount of time, my next project to tackle is the lower front windshield gasket. This too is already heavily cracked after just 7 years of age, friggin' amazing.

But not to digress, is there a procedure for this? Appears that the wiper arms need to be pulled, lord only knows what else.

If there is an existing thread on this procedure, please point me to it, as I did not try the search function.

TIA!

Cheers, Bobbo
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 G32 6GT; 2014 F45 218i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophistograu528i View Post
Hey guys and gals,

In my never ending quest to replace rubber components on the 528i that are deteriorating and/or cracking in an amazingly short amount of time, my next project to tackle is the lower front windshield gasket. This too is already heavily cracked after just 7 years of age, friggin' amazing.

But not to digress, is there a procedure for this? Appears that the wiper arms need to be pulled, lord only knows what else.

If there is an existing thread on this procedure, please point me to it, as I did not try the search function.

TIA!

Cheers, Bobbo
Go and look at NEWTIS.INFO the full repair manual is available there.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophistograu528i View Post
Hey guys and gals,

TIA!

Cheers, Bobbo
I did it and thought I also did a write-up. A search might help... It's not too difficult and IIRC took around an hour.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 12:55 AM   #4
Pstephana
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10

I had this issue on my F10. The replacement part was cheap even from
the dealership. There’s not a lot of write ups on this topic but I did come across a super helpful Utube video.
Look up BMW F10 5-Series windshield replacement.
There’s a couple of very good videos that show them removing the rubber cowl to get to the windshield.
Hope it helps, it did for me and it was one of the most gratifying DIY mini projects!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 02:34 AM   #5
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

This is very straight forward. Nothing major involved and yes, original part is fairly cheap from the dealer so no point in buying a used one. I believe you have to take the wipers off but that shouldn’t be too hard either. Rest are plastic rivets
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
This is very straight forward. Nothing major involved and yes, original part is fairly cheap from the dealer so no point in buying a used one. I believe you have to take the wipers off but that shouldn’t be too hard either. Rest are plastic rivets
Getting the wipers off was the HARDEST part for me! I had to purchase a gear puller and even then it took some time. I think a gorilla, or Dr. No tightened the bolt down so hard the arm was effectively bonded to the shaft!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
sophistograu528i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Wow, lots of feedback, and once again I'm not the only person having seen this part deteriorate in short order

Okey doke, off to my friendly dealership

I do have a gear puller set of various sizes, again figuring that not only would the wiper arms be challenging to remove, but one of the more difficult parts of this task

Thanks again everyone

Cheers, Bobbo
Appreciate 0