2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Sport steering wheel issues

11-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #1
Darkoni
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

Sport steering wheel issues

Hi guys, I am new to the forum so a BIG hello to everybody.

I just received a used sport steering wheel form ebay to replace the old, thin, basic wheel. Great, right? Well there are a couple issues that are puzzling me whether or not I should return it or fix it myself. Paid $600 so any work other than installation is ticking me off. Basically the plastic snap on piece is slightly broken and won't stay in place. And plastic pointy tip is broken off. I circled both in the picture. Messing with the airbag makes me a little nervous. What do you guys think I should do?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoni View Post
Hi guys, I am new to the forum so a BIG hello to everybody.

I just received a used sport steering wheel form ebay to replace the old, thin, basic wheel. Great, right? Well there are a couple issues that are puzzling me whether or not I should return it or fix it myself. Paid $600 so any work other than installation is ticking me off. Basically the plastic snap on piece is slightly broken and won't stay in place. And plastic pointy tip is broken off. I circled both in the picture. Messing with the airbag makes me a little nervous. What do you guys think I should do?
I wouldn't worry about that nib. It helps secure the airbag cover to the framework. You could either put a dab of hot glue on what's left of the nib (hot glue will still let the cover come loose from the frame should the airbag deploy) or just buy a new cover. I don't think they are all that expensive.

As to the connector you could purchase a new one and replace the broken one or find a way to secure the two halves together. The only time the connector needs to be unplugged is to remove the airbag.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
Darkoni
Registered
Rep

Thanks man! I went to the local shop that does electronics on cars and they told me these plugs cannot be bought separately. Glad you know more than he does. Especially since stealership wanted to replace the whole airbag...

On to the search...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoni View Post
Thanks man! I went to the local shop that does electronics on cars and they told me these plugs cannot be bought separately. Glad you know more than he does. Especially since stealership wanted to replace the whole airbag...

On to the search...
He might be right about the plug. I was just guessing it was a standard plug. The dealership would have to replace the entire airbag due to liability issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
Darkoni
Registered
Rep

I visited a different stealership, explained the problem, gave the parts guy the whole wheel and waited 20min. Kinda started to get agitated as to why its taking so long but dude comes back with a brand new connector already swapped out and says "that'll be $2.98 for the part". Gave the guy $5 extra and walked out with a crocodile smile! Anyone with a similiar problem, just shop for a better stealership lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0