2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Sim Racing Getting into sim racing, got some questions
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-01-2021, 01:51 AM   #1
///d
Second Lieutenant
///d's Avatar
370
Rep
222
Posts

Drives: F15 35d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Minne-snow-ta

iTrader: (0)

Getting into sim racing, got some questions

I've been thinking about building a rig when I get home, and I scored AC with all car packs on Steam yesterday during their Halloween sale, so now I've been doing more research on rigs and such and I have a couple questions.

1) When looking at cockpits, are their any designs that are widely regarded as "don't do it"? I was browsing Amazon last night and was looking at the OpenWheeler Gen3, but feel like that design might get wobbly. I like the NLR GTTrack, but don't want to drop almost a grand on just a cockpit. I also don't want one of the entry level cheap ones that look like they have a cardboard seat. I do, however, have fixed-back racing seats that are going in my truck, but probably wont get installed for quite some time, so I thought about buying a cockpit without a seat and just using one of those for now.

Edit: Just came across the NLR F-GT frame only option. Looks like it could be nice.

2) VR... I like VR and like the sense of immersion you get from VR games so that's what I was planning on doing, but I have not used it with any sim racing. How does the VR work with AC? Do you find it a pain trying to use other buttons on the wheel when you cant glance down? Is it only during races, or are all of your menus and such also in VR? I haven't had any issues feeling sick with VR yet, so I'm not worried about that.

Last edited by ///d; 11-01-2021 at 04:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 12:09 PM   #2
toned
New Member
toned's Avatar
32
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 21 M2C
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

1- it comes down to adjustability, comfort, and your long term goals in terms of sim racing. I started with mounting my wheel base to the desk, then when I got more serious into it, went with a GT Omega Pro cockpit, and recently upgraded to 8020...if you think you'll get very serious and into it, maybe 8020 is the right starting point...it'll be more expensive initially, but they hold their resale value, very adjustable and solid. Check our ASR. https://www.advancedsimracing.com/ - their 8020 lite, start at 450 CDN...really well priced if you can swing it, I have an ASR6 and no complaints

2- VR is amazing and immersive and I miss it but heads up, some people get really sick, so try one before you buy one if you can - I initially went VR and when I got more into endurance racing switched to triples. AC works well in VR, and so does iRacing...the only one that I found was kind of shitty was ACC (Assetto Corsa Competizione). It just needs a lot of HP to run. You will 'grow' your VR legs with more VR usage. In terms of button usage, you will build the muscle memory. A big downside is being so immersed, you tend to cut out the outside world (calls, messages, etc)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 02:53 PM   #3
OkieSnuffBox
Lieutenant
501
Rep
598
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

As mentioned, 80/20 is the most versatile/adjustable. I went the tube frame Trak Racer stuff, because I felt like I my be getting in to having too much adjustability.

I built all new, because my last computer is OLD and I don't have 3 monitors anymore, 2 are for my work desk and I sold the other one.

I bought a pre-built gaming PC because video cars are outrageously overpriced and/or nearly impossible to find.

I purchased my PC from Skytech Gaming, they seemed to be the mix of price/value/good reviews. In May I paid $2900 for these specs:

SKU: ST-Chronos-B-0102
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core 3.8GHz (4.6GHz Max Boost)
Case: Skytech Chronos, Black Edition w/ Front Mesh
CPU Cooler: 360mm AIO Cooler
Motherboard: X570
RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo RGB DDR4 CL16 3600MHz
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB
Primary Hard Drive: 1TB Seagate 520 Gen4 NVMe SSD
Power Supply: 850 Watt Gold 80 Plus Certified
Networking: 802.11 ac
Operating System: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

3-32" Samsung G5 1440p 144hz curved monitors

Fanatec CSL Elite wheels and pedals with the load cell for the brake pedal.

With the track racer TR cockpit and triple monitor mount, I was in for around $6k.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 04:13 AM   #4
///d
Second Lieutenant
///d's Avatar
370
Rep
222
Posts

Drives: F15 35d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Minne-snow-ta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
As mentioned, 80/20 is the most versatile/adjustable. I went the tube frame Trak Racer stuff, because I felt like I my be getting in to having too much adjustability.

I built all new, because my last computer is OLD and I don't have 3 monitors anymore, 2 are for my work desk and I sold the other one.

I bought a pre-built gaming PC because video cars are outrageously overpriced and/or nearly impossible to find.

I purchased my PC from Skytech Gaming, they seemed to be the mix of price/value/good reviews. In May I paid $2900 for these specs:

SKU: ST-Chronos-B-0102
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core 3.8GHz (4.6GHz Max Boost)
Case: Skytech Chronos, Black Edition w/ Front Mesh
CPU Cooler: 360mm AIO Cooler
Motherboard: X570
RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo RGB DDR4 CL16 3600MHz
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB
Primary Hard Drive: 1TB Seagate 520 Gen4 NVMe SSD
Power Supply: 850 Watt Gold 80 Plus Certified
Networking: 802.11 ac
Operating System: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

3-32" Samsung G5 1440p 144hz curved monitors

Fanatec CSL Elite wheels and pedals with the load cell for the brake pedal.

With the track racer TR cockpit and triple monitor mount, I was in for around $6k.
I don't really want to build a new PC, at least not yet. My laptop specs are plenty to start, ASUS ROG, Ryzen 9 5900HS, RTX3060, 16BGB (upgrading to 32), 1TB SSD, my only issue is I cant support triple monitor unless I run a controller, which I don't want to do because of the performance loss I've read about, so that's another reason I was looking at VR. I'm about 95% positive I would not like a single monitor, or even a large curved simply because I highly dislike cockpit views if I cant look out the side windows. Maybe if I find I get serious enough I'll build a dedicated PC with tri-monitor support.

I'm going to look into the 80/20 builds. I've got a few months before I'm home and can start building.

How many of you still use side shifters? Or do you just stick with flappy paddles?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 11:19 AM   #5
OkieSnuffBox
Lieutenant
501
Rep
598
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
I don't really want to build a new PC, at least not yet. My laptop specs are plenty to start, ASUS ROG, Ryzen 9 5900HS, RTX3060, 16BGB (upgrading to 32), 1TB SSD, my only issue is I cant support triple monitor unless I run a controller, which I don't want to do because of the performance loss I've read about, so that's another reason I was looking at VR. I'm about 95% positive I would not like a single monitor, or even a large curved simply because I highly dislike cockpit views if I cant look out the side windows. Maybe if I find I get serious enough I'll build a dedicated PC with tri-monitor support.

I'm going to look into the 80/20 builds. I've got a few months before I'm home and can start building.

How many of you still use side shifters? Or do you just stick with flappy paddles?
Why can't you run a triple monitor on a 3060? Does it not have 3-4 outputs?

I ran a triple monitor setup in 2014 on some old 4gb card with no issues. An old Sapphire R9 290 4gb.

You would definitely not like one monitor. I haven't been able to try VR yet, so I went triples like I had on my last setup. Plus I wear glasses, so that's another hurdle.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 01:03 AM   #6
///d
Second Lieutenant
///d's Avatar
370
Rep
222
Posts

Drives: F15 35d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Minne-snow-ta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Why can't you run a triple monitor on a 3060? Does it not have 3-4 outputs?

I ran a triple monitor setup in 2014 on some old 4gb card with no issues. An old Sapphire R9 290 4gb.

You would definitely not like one monitor. I haven't been able to try VR yet, so I went triples like I had on my last setup. Plus I wear glasses, so that's another hurdle.
Well technically I can through USB-C ports, but then I'd be down to two USB-3 ports and will need to run a hub, which isn't the end of the world but I try to stay away from any types of external port controllers. For simple things like phone cables or thumb drives they are fine, but anything that I am concerned about latency or input conflict I don't like them.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 02:45 AM   #7
///d
Second Lieutenant
///d's Avatar
370
Rep
222
Posts

Drives: F15 35d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Minne-snow-ta

iTrader: (0)

I'm liking the ASR1 from AdvancedSimRacing mentioned above. Same price point as the NLR F-GT but reviews say the NLR moves around a little more than people would like.

Also looking at the Thrustmaster T300 paired with their LCM pedals. Hoping I can find something for black Friday but seems like everyone is out of stock right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 04:11 AM   #8
Matty0040
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2013 640GC
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Skip the thrustmaster and jump straight in with fanatec clubsport wheelbase, these can be picked up pretty cheap second hand and have had no issues what so ever with build quality. Or even better, if you have a few months to spare opt in for the CSL DD with boost at 8Nm, this kit is even better again but they currently have a delivery lead time of a month or so due to high demand. almost all sim racing feedback comes through the wheel and in my eyes is the most important component.

I use a side shifter and handbreak but spend a lot of my time in rally, have been running with a Rift S for a while now and believe my next upgrade will be the VR headset for image clarity. the Rift isn't bad but better options are available now.

there are so many varying reviews and thousands of opinions, just find a comfy price bracket you are willing to sacrifice and stick to it, or it becomes ridiculously expensive!! either way I'm sure you will have bundles of fun!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #9
OkieSnuffBox
Lieutenant
501
Rep
598
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Well technically I can through USB-C ports, but then I'd be down to two USB-3 ports and will need to run a hub, which isn't the end of the world but I try to stay away from any types of external port controllers. For simple things like phone cables or thumb drives they are fine, but anything that I am concerned about latency or input conflict I don't like them.
A 3060 should have 3 - 1.4 Display Ports, and 1 - HDMI 2.1 output.

So I'm confused why your bringing up USB-C ports and such.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:10 AM   #10
Resjudicata
Colonel
Resjudicata's Avatar
United_States
1288
Rep
2,606
Posts

Drives: M850i convertible
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Dulles Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
I'm liking the ASR1 from AdvancedSimRacing mentioned above. Same price point as the NLR F-GT but reviews say the NLR moves around a little more than people would like.

Also looking at the Thrustmaster T300 paired with their LCM pedals. Hoping I can find something for black Friday but seems like everyone is out of stock right now.
I have the Thrustmaster Racer and TLCM pedals. It's a great combo.

But if it's out of stock, find something that works and just jump in. Get started and get r done!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:26 AM   #11
///d
Second Lieutenant
///d's Avatar
370
Rep
222
Posts

Drives: F15 35d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Minne-snow-ta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Well technically I can through USB-C ports, but then I'd be down to two USB-3 ports and will need to run a hub, which isn't the end of the world but I try to stay away from any types of external port controllers. For simple things like phone cables or thumb drives they are fine, but anything that I am concerned about latency or input conflict I don't like them.
A 3060 should have 3 - 1.4 Display Ports, and 1 - HDMI 2.1 output.

So I'm confused why your bringing up USB-C ports and such.
Because its a laptop
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 04:02 PM   #12
OkieSnuffBox
Lieutenant
501
Rep
598
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Because its a laptop
Gotcha. Never thought about trying to build a gaming setup around a laptop.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 01:49 AM   #13
///d
Second Lieutenant
///d's Avatar
370
Rep
222
Posts

Drives: F15 35d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Minne-snow-ta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Gotcha. Never thought about trying to build a gaming setup around a laptop.
Laptop used to suck for gaming, but todays models are pretty stout. With as much travelling as I do for the military it's nice being able to take this with and pass the time.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2021, 10:02 AM   #14
OkieSnuffBox
Lieutenant
501
Rep
598
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Laptop used to suck for gaming, but todays models are pretty stout. With as much travelling as I do for the military it's nice being able to take this with and pass the time.
Completely understand.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST