2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions 2011 F10 heated seats retrofit challenge

05-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
dragos.balaban
Rep
Drives: F10 530D SE

2011 F10 heated seats retrofit challenge

Hello everyone!

First post here so please be gentle. I've also posted on UK forums but did not get lots of support so I'm trying my luck here too:

I recently purchased a F10 that comes with "S456 Comfort seat with memory" and "S488 Lumbar support, driver and passenger" but unfortunately no "S494 Seat heating driver/passenger"

I imagined the parts needed for retrofitting this would be:
a. heated pads in the seats
b. compatible seat modules
c. climate control panel with the heated seats button
d. wiring looms in between a, b and c
e. coding

Working in automotive industry and having a good understanding of how a business like this works I imagined I might already have at least some of the hardware in my car.
Doing my research, I found out the following:
1. Upholstery covers come with seat heaters ALSO FOR VEHICLES WITHOUT Seat heating
2. There is only one type of seat module if the car is equipped with S456 - this means the seat heating functionality is already build in
3. Climate control panel "might" already have a switch for heated seats under the cover. If not, it is not expensive to buy one with the correct buttons.
4. Given the findings 1 and 2 I imagine all the wiring is already there.
5. Coding

All this would indicate retrofitting heated seats for F10 with S456 option would be a rather cheap and easy thing to do.
Best case scenario: replace button covers with proper buttons and some coding; worst case scenario: replace climate control panel, install some wiring and code the car.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
pika1460
Private
Rep
Drives: e92

i'm interested in doing a similar project for the rear seats. how reliable is your source saying that the heating pads are pre-installed. for the rears at least i inspected them and couldn't find any connectors, although the wiring for the rear buttons is there.
Appreciate 0