2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Is the multi contour seat's headrest adjustable?

08-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Is the multi contour seat's headrest adjustable?

Hi guys, I just got a new 535i Msport last weekend. Starting from the drive back home (long drive, 4 hours), my neck got sore and over the last week I just can't find an adjustment that works for me. I have the 20 way adjustable multi contour seats with nappa leather. From what I can tell, I can adjust the angle of the seat on the upper section, but can't adjust the headrest itself (say make it angled in towards my head).

I never had headrest/upper back/neck issues before. I had a Lexus GS Fsport until last Friday and its seats were sublime. I mean the BMW seats are no where as comfortable but at least I don't feel sore in other areas. Also my wife has a 328i luxury with the standard dakota seats and we ve taken that car on 8 hour driving trips and I never felt sore or tired anywhere. On the 328i, all I do is tilt the headrest midway between upright and all the way tilted and my head feels great...

So just want to know if the headrest is tiltable... Otherwise need to somehow find a different solution... Not sure what yet, maybe a neck pillow, also something I can put on the headrest to make it softer or be more forward than it is now...

Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
konasunset
registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i titanium silvr 1/11 build

I have a 2011 535i with the multicontour seat and I can tilt the top third of the seat forward or backward. The control buttons for this are on the same control that raises and lowers the headrest. There is a forward control button for tilting forward and a rear control button for tilting backward. I really love this seat.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

I had the same issue when I first bought my car.
head rest is not adjustable.
I found that my issue was that I had the top part of the seat back tilted too far forward.
I straightened out the seat back a bit and my neck was OK.

Try to adjust the seat back fully straight and just tilt it slightly and see how that works.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

If you have a '14 (maybe other years, but I can only say what I know for sure), you can also "bend" the headrest to wrap the sides of your head, which may be closer to what you're looking for. There is no button, just pull each side forward. In conjunction with the tilting of the top part, these are the most comfortable headrests I've ever had.
      08-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
zugellos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

You'll find out soon enough that BMWs (even the luxury series) are more on the sporty side than comparable Japanese luxury sedans. BMW seats are extremely firm, never supple like ones in cars like Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 12:08 AM   #6
konasunset
registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i titanium silvr 1/11 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
If you have a '14 (maybe other years, but I can only say what I know for sure), you can also "bend" the headrest to wrap the sides of your head, which may be closer to what you're looking for. There is no button, just pull each side forward. In conjunction with the tilting of the top part, these are the most comfortable headrests I've ever had.
Same with 2011. Yes, these are very comfortable headrests.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by konasunset View Post
I have a 2011 535i with the multicontour seat and I can tilt the top third of the seat forward or backward. The control buttons for this are on the same control that raises and lowers the headrest. There is a forward control button for tilting forward and a rear control button for tilting backward. I really love this seat.
I agree. I have never been in more comfortable seats. Using the top 1/3 control I'm able to get the perfect upper angle. Having said that, I've never used the headrest to support the back of my head while driving. I relieve neck strain by having the upper part of the seat hold my neck directly in line with my back (not letting it tilt uncomfortably back. The headrest, for me, is a safety device to protect against whiplash. Maybe the OP can achieve the same comfort working with the upper 1/3 seat back adjustment.
      08-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #8
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

It's adjustable for height - move the "backrest" switch up/down.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0