2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10, 528, Vibration 80-120 km/h

11-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #45
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Hi,

I am also glad that your problem has been solved too!

For this winter, I am going to stick with these goodyears ls2 as they are all season tires and they did well on a demo car I drove in snow last winter 2010. Maybe next year I will go for Dunlops M3 or Blizzaks Lm25 rft winter versions. What about you?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #46
Expatmarais
France
Rep
Drives: f10 535d MSport

Well I already have some 18'' Dunlop winter sport 3d. They do have a little vibration but BMW won't pay to replace those too and they cost me a fair bit so I'll put those on when it get v wintry. Otherwise will try and run on the michelins for as long as poss. Did I mention they are great in the wet compared to all the other I tried?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #47
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep

I love Michelin tires as they are the smoothest tire I have driven on. I would look at them for winter time. The Alpines PA3 are going on my 06 Audi A8L sedan next year after the Bridgestone LM60s wear out. Let the Dunlops wear out after 2 winters at least and go from there. My goodyears I have now are very smooth and comfortable on all highways and roads. I am impressed.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 03:52 AM   #48
dr.unknown
Registered
Rep
Drives: silver 523I

i have the same problem with 18 running continental ssc 3 run flats and reacently had transmition faults and stearing to the right so i have got the mother load i think really that i was the first person in the world to buy the car i bought it very early and i have noticed the vibration and they told its normal and i said ok and due to the fact i have collage and studing electric enginnering i dont have the time to go to the dealeship and i am seriousley consedting selling the car and i will never buy a bmw because all of our cars were mercedes benz and i thought to buy a bmw for a change and boy was i wrong

its is sivler bmw 2011 bought it in 2010 it has almost 12000 km and changed the oil once
so should i sell the car or what do i do ?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #49
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep

Do not sell the car,

If you see the post, almost all of us had vibration with Continental tires. They are so badly made (quality defects) that you must have them placed on a road force balancer machine to detect if they are out of round. Force your dealer to test drive you car with another wheel/tire set from a demo car that does NOT have the continental SSR tires to eliminate the vibration. That way you can get them to agree to replace your tires with Bridgestones, Goodyears, or Michelin rft tires. They do not vibrate.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #50
dr.unknown
Registered
Rep
Drives: silver 523I

thats the problem here they dont care about the customer i will try to force them but they really dont care you guys are lucky you got better customer care to see how bad its is here i will give an example i bought my 523i with 60000 us dollar thats stealing in front of your face with the same price in the us you will get a fully loaded 550 i here when they say we made a profit they mean 40000 us dollars and more for each car i know i drifted out of the subject but thank you for your advice .
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #51
daveb3473
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (G20) 2020

Hi - I have a 2010 530d with 18 inch rims. It has exactly the same problem from 70-80. It is worse some days than others but always there. Dealer swapped to 19 inch M sport and problem excatly the same. BMW UK have no idea and though dealer is good, they dont know what to do next. Advice welcome!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #52
daveb3473
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (G20) 2020

Hi - I have a 2010 530d with 18 inch rims. It has exactly the same problem from 70-80. It is worse some days than others but always there. Dealer swapped to 19 inch M sport and problem excatly the same. BMW UK have no idea and though dealer is good, they dont know what to do next. Could it be wheels, tyres, or even brake discs?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #53
Expatmarais
France
Rep
Drives: f10 535d MSport

Sorry to hear you're having such a disappointment. I am on 18'' rims with winter tyres currently. They shook and vibrated a little compared to my 19'' michelins which themselves were the result of troubleshooting by BMW. (see above) Having driven 3000km on these winter tyres, they have remarkably stopped vibrating. The dealer has experienced this on other customers vehicles. (various brands of RFT on 18'')
I didn't know this effect existed but they refer to a running in time and tread wear rolling adjustment as the tyres wear in... And this is resulting in a settling down of the driver over time. Weird.
It doesn't sound like it is your solution if after 12000km it's still the same but thought I'd mention it for the others on here.
Dr I would write to BMW HO in the country where you are based, denouncing your dealer if you have not had chance to try out different tyre options as noted by Baloo. We have and it has turned a major nuisance into the best driving car I ever owned. You may want to refer to these threads as you are not alone. Ditch the RFT from Continental though as mentioned above. And GOOD LUCK!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #54
imposss
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 Comprtetion

I have exactly the same problem, I thought it may be disbalanced wheels, changed to winter set same shit. Came back to tire shop twice to check balancing.
It's so annoiyung I feel like I drive cheap car. Wtf BMW?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #55
tadtaggert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i F10

From a different forum, a different take on vibration, don't know if related, but hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 02:39 AM   #56
ObiWanSpain
Spain
Rep
Drives: F10 530xd

In Spain there is aun important group of people having the same problem. I am trying to get a solution from my dealer, but still waiting (one month now)

The problems, as commented here, vibrations all over the car at the range of 110-130 kms/h (easily checked watching front seats moving and steering weel). I also have vibrations braking softly from 160-130 kms/h.

I have a very good friend as a garage chief in BMW dealer here in Spain. He recognised me that they have more than 10 internal notes from Germany explaining the problem. The last one was clear: DO NOT ANYTHING TO THE CAR. They know the problem, but they don't know how to handle and solve it.

If they don't find the solution quickly me and my group would be thinking in taking law actions.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 02:48 AM   #57
ObiWanSpain
Spain
Rep
Drives: F10 530xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtaggert View Post
From a different forum, a different take on vibration, don't know if related, but hope it helps.
If you handle spanish language, I leave also here the thread from my forum. As you can notice, 61.000 members and over 10 millions posts. I am ObiWan there.

http://www.bmwfaq.com/f170/ojo-al-nu...rasero-640047/
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #58
L16GSY
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530D M Sport

I have a new (3 weeks old) F10, 520 D M Sport with a vibration between 60 & 80 MPH, the local dealer has checked wheel balance etc, fitted donor wheels from similar vehicle, but admitted its the first time they have seen the problem, so contacted BMW UK who have taken the vehicle away to sort out this problem "They are aware of", looks like they are going to remove the Continental RFT's and fit Dunlop RFT's.

I'll let you know how I get on at a later post.....
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #59
Henke77
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 535dA Touring F11, 2013

Any updates? We are several in Sweden which have the same problems, been in and out of the workshop since new.. what are everybody doing?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #60
L16GSY
United Kingdom
Rep

Ongoing BMWUK took the wheels and tyres away to balance them. Fitted them back onto the car and said it was now fine. I drove it and said it isn't. The dealer said I had to email BMW customer services. I told them its the dealers responsibility to do that and sort the problem out as under the UK sale of goods act that's the law.

The dealer principal was then instructed to call me. They are trying to tell me it's because I'm used to driving a 6 cylinder 3ltr 5 series E60 and the 2 ltr engine is a different feel and it's the engine vibrations I can feel.

I think that's nonsense and they don't know what is causing it.

They are going to sort out a replacement now so I'm trying another 520D M Sport tomorrow which they are loaning me for 2 days.

They are also offering me money to buy new wheels and tyres, but I'm not interested in that just yet as I am just not sure what is causing the vibration, nor is the dealer, and BMWUK are not owning up to anything yet!

ONGOING!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #61
Henke77
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 535dA Touring F11, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by L16GSY
Ongoing BMWUK took the wheels and tyres away to balance them. Fitted them back onto the car and said it was now fine. I drove it and said it isn't. The dealer said I had to email BMW customer services. I told them its the dealers responsibility to do that and sort the problem out as under the UK sale of goods act that's the law.

The dealer principal was then instructed to call me. They are trying to tell me it's because I'm used to driving a 6 cylinder 3ltr 5 series E60 and the 2 ltr engine is a different feel and it's the engine vibrations I can feel.

I think that's nonsense and they don't know what is causing it.

They are going to sort out a replacement now so I'm trying another 520D M Sport tomorrow which they are loaning me for 2 days.

They are also offering me money to buy new wheels and tyres, but I'm not interested in that just yet as I am just not sure what is causing the vibration, nor is the dealer, and BMWUK are not owning up to anything yet!

ONGOING!!!!!
What has happend?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #62
LastFrontierBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 435i xDrive MSport

Like most, I find this post troubling. While test-driving a '12 535i xDrive M Sport, I noticed a vibration. The salesperson did too - we casually chalked it up to a wheel needing to be balanced. When I took delivery of my '12 535i xDrive Sport (I preferred the car without the M body treatment), luckily it was smooth. It continues to be smooth. It came with 19" 10-spoke wheels and Goodyear all-season RFT tires.

I found it interesting though, that in Car and Driver's long term test, they replaced 2 bent wheels and had 4 additional bent wheel repairs done. They also replaced 2 damaged RFT tires. Not pretty... Otherwise though, they liked the car. See below...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review
2014 435i xDrive MSport / Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / MPPK / 6MT / 19" / M Sport Brakes / DINAN Springs / Bilstein B8 / Technology Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Driver Assist / HK Sound
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #63
L16GSY
United Kingdom
Rep

f10 520 D M Sport vibration

Ongoing, I've had some hydro bearings fitted to my car, I'm told they are standard fitment on the GT, they apparently solved the problem on someone else's car, but made no difference to mine.

I've now been given a brand new 530d M Sport to try for a couple of days, so we'll see how that is after a few hundred miles.

The dealer is bending over backwards to make me happy but seems totally in the hands of BMW UK in getting it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #64
Krill
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G30 520d Xdrive - M Sport

I have the same problem, BMW are now buying my car back and ordering a new one:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751143
L16GSY:
My dealer also replaced hydro bearings on my car, re-balanced wheels and tyres several times and eventually replaced my Pirellis to Goodyear Excellence but nothing has solved the problem. Please update after you have driven the new car for a while, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #65
L16GSY
United Kingdom
Rep

Exclamation F10 vibration

I have now ordered a 530d m Sport, due to be delivered in time for Christmas, I'm hoping that the extra weight of the engine on the front end and going back to M Sport suspension will assist in alleviating the vibrations I've been feeling in my 520d M Sport. Watch this space!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #66
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

We had a vibration on my wife's 2012 528 at delivery. Didn't really notice it until a few days later. It was more pronounced between 45 - 65mph. Took it back and the dealer said the same thing; common problem on the F10. They made some type of electronic adjustment that affected the struts and or/shocks if i remember correctly, did a balance all the way around, and replaced one front tire. That fixed it. The tires are continental RFTs.
Appreciate 0