2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2016 535i owners, please help me with BMW anxiety

04-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #1
mediocrechris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i xDrive

2016 535i owners, please help me with BMW anxiety

Long story short, last week I bought a CPO 2016 535i xDrive with about 24k miles on it. There is some original warranty time left so I predict it will be out of CPO warranty around April 2021 or a little after.

Tonight I made the mistake of browsing the bbb.org page for BMW USA and then I noticed that BMW NA's Facebook page has their reviews page hidden from public view, and that tells me that on Facebook the reviews must be horrible. Just in case you didn't know, the BBB gives BMW N.A. an F rating.

I've done a lot of google/forum searches and every time I become reassured that the 2016 535i is a decent car, I find another story about BMW and it makes me worry again.

Are there any 2016 535i xDrive owners who can tell me stories to either prepare me for what to expect as my car's mileage increases or anyone who can reassure me that this is a good model and that it should be dependable if I take care of it? Should I plan to trade this car in the day before the warranty expires or are you having good results so far?

Typically I'm a very responsible driver who is daily driving about 100 miles round trip of highway miles in Eco mode. Hot-rodding, redlining, is avoided and my top speed is usually hovering around the 80-83 mph mark.

Aside from staying on top of the maintenance, is there anything I could/should do to prolong the life of the car and avoid problems?

Thank you in advance for your information.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #2
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

You can worry about anything.
Have you looked up any of major manufacturer?
Try to just enjoy the car and when end of coverage comes you can make a better informed decision.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2019, 11:56 PM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrechris View Post
Long story short, last week I bought a CPO 2016 535i xDrive with about 24k miles on it. There is some original warranty time left so I predict it will be out of CPO warranty around April 2021 or a little after.

Tonight I made the mistake of browsing the bbb.org page for BMW USA and then I noticed that BMW NA's Facebook page has their reviews page hidden from public view, and that tells me that on Facebook the reviews must be horrible. Just in case you didn't know, the BBB gives BMW N.A. an F rating.

I've done a lot of google/forum searches and every time I become reassured that the 2016 535i is a decent car, I find another story about BMW and it makes me worry again.

Are there any 2016 535i xDrive owners who can tell me stories to either prepare me for what to expect as my car's mileage increases or anyone who can reassure me that this is a good model and that it should be dependable if I take care of it? Should I plan to trade this car in the day before the warranty expires or are you having good results so far?

Typically I'm a very responsible driver who is daily driving about 100 miles round trip of highway miles in Eco mode. Hot-rodding, redlining, is avoided and my top speed is usually hovering around the 80-83 mph mark.

Aside from staying on top of the maintenance, is there anything I could/should do to prolong the life of the car and avoid problems?

Thank you in advance for your information.
The BBB is...

Quote:
The Better Business Bureau, founded in 1912, is an organization focused on advancing marketplace trust, consisting of 106 independently incorporated local BBB organizations in the United States and Canada, coordinated under the Council of Better Business Bureaus in Arlington, Virginia. Wikipedia
Look at your local BMW dealer not nationally. Each dealer is independently owned and pretty much divorced from BMW in general. Most people believe they buy a car from a manufacturer, be it BMW, Ford, GM, whomever. The dealer purchases the (new) cars from the manufacturer and we purchase (new) cars from the dealers. The manufacturer couldn't really care less about second plus owners as they are twice (or more) removed from the original sale of the car. In the U.S. the dealer network is VERY powerful and actually has a good amount of sway over the manufacturer. The reason American manufacturers are dropping cars and focusing on trucks and SUVs is pressure from the dealers. I bought into an American BMW (Lincoln LS) but the dealers killed it because they had no clue how to market a sport sedan to the 5-series buyer.

All that said just enjoy your car. Our 2012 535i has over 85K (we put 40K of those miles) mostly trouble-free miles (NOTHING that left us stranded, just a couple of gasket replacements) and a our 2014 (just shy of 50K miles of which I added 25K of those miles) has had nothing more than maintenance. Our 2012 has made a trip to Texas and Yellowstone with nary a problem and with EXCELLENT mpg; over 31. Last fall we took a 5600 mile trip to the east coast in the 2014 and got over 32mpg; also with no problems whatsoever!! I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another 5 series with the straight-6. After all, BMW has been making the straight-6 since Noah was a messcook!
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
VAB5
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 535; '15 328; '05 ZHP conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Look at your local BMW dealer not nationally. Each dealer is independently owned and pretty much divorced from BMW in general.
This is very sound advice. Find a dealer you're comfortable with, if you have a choice.

If you want additional peace of mind, find an independent BMW shop and pay for a pre-purchase inspection. Should be less than $150. Then use that list to have any warranty items addressed with the dealer.

I just bought a CPO 2015 535i (32k miles) after doing a TON of research. These are relatively reliable cars. The oil filter housing gasket is one of the few things you need to keep an eye on though. Once it starts leaking, and it will, have the warranty repair done, including inspection of the serpentine belt for oil contamination and replacement if necessary. My gasket replacement was completed before I bought it.

I think you can relax and enjoy your new luxo-barge!
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #5
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

I agree with the other comments here. The beauty of this situation is that you have full warranty coverage. By the time expires, you should have a much better level of familiarity with the vehicle and be able to decide whether or not to keep it. FWIW, I've owned many BMWs, both in and out of warranty, and generally they've been fine. Maintenance can get expensive as they age, but my experiences have been pretty positive. Most of them will need gaskets and seals as they age. I've driven a 528 wagon to 180k miles, an X5 3.0 to 95k miles, and an F30 335i to 90k miles and all have been a good experience on balance.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #6
johnhva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535ix

Garage List
14 BMW 535ix  [0.00]
04 BMW 325cic 5MT  [0.00]
16 BMW R1200RT  [0.00]
I have a a 2014 535xi CPO that runs until 12/19. It's been a good car so far at around 48k mi.

Mine has had two major repairs: the A/C condenser failed ($700) and was replaced under warranty, and several failed cameras and their wiring harnesses were replaced that would have cost $1800 (first denied by one SA then covered by a 2nd SA at the same dealership when I came back a week later). Also, the front rotors became badly rust-pitted and warped but were not covered by warranty because they were within spec thickness. Dealer CPO "refurb" before I bought the car probably changed worn pads but left original rotors. I had an indy replace rotors/pads for $450 OEM.

Other than that and new tires, the car has been great, and I recommend it. The N55 is excellent and reliable. That said, I'll probably get an extended warranty when CPO runs out because catastrophic mechanical failure on a BMW can be financially catastrophic.

Indy mechanic advises to change the oil often and coolant every year and dump in a bottle of Techron every 3rd fillup. Replace the transmission fluid at 50-60k mi. Commuting in ECO mode keeps the revs low so put it in Sport mode and floor it once or twice every day to get up near redline.

My 2c.
      04-22-2019, 07:30 PM   #7
mediocrechris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhva View Post
...and several failed cameras and their wiring harnesses were replaced that would have cost $1800 (first denied by one SA then covered by a 2nd SA at the same dealership when I came back a week later).
Holy crap, that doesn't inspire confidence! What happened to the cameras? Why did they fail?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:24 PM   #8
johnhva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535ix

Garage List
14 BMW 535ix  [0.00]
04 BMW 325cic 5MT  [0.00]
16 BMW R1200RT  [0.00]
Quote:
Holy crap, that doesn't inspire confidence! What happened to the cameras? Why did they fail?
Both front fender cameras and ends of their harnesses were diagnosed as failing due to corrosion, and the initial SA's opinion was that that wasn't BMW's fault -- too bad so sad. All the other cameras (I think there are six) worked fine.

An appeal to another SA prevailed because there was no evidence of damage anywhere so it seems that those cameras in the wheel wells may be inadequately sealed from muck thrown up by the front wheels. First owner drove the car 3 winters in salty Massachusetts and my guess it was parked in a warm garage every night to hasten the corrosion. As I mentioned, the front rotors became badly pitted with surface rust spots and their edges had a thick red crust. Since then I rinse inside the wheel wells thoroughly whenever I wash the car.
      04-22-2019, 11:24 PM   #9
TheUtahX5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

I've had my 535d xdrive for coming up on six years, and just crossed the 90k mark. I've done seven oil changes, one brake pad set on front and back, just got my third set of tires (19" M-Sport), two brake fluid changes, recently replaced the battery. Also had to pay for the EGR valve or something, need to check.

Warranty:
AC evaporator
Rear caliper

That's it, no other visits to the dealer and usually average 35mpg

This has been the most reliable car I've had so far... and I love it.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 05:28 AM   #10
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Reliability and warranties

I've owned Mercedes, Porsches, BMW's, Volvos, and a very unreliable Audi 100LS. Modern cars have improved and their modular build is far more reliable above those from the 1990's and before (see JD Powers overall 3 year reliability stats - improved every year except recently) Mercedes and Porsche seem to have gone backward though, but no worries.

The expense is predictable and usually doesn't exceed the cost of any ill-advised aftermarket warranty (except perhaps something like Geico's monthly extra payment for coverage). I am easily $24,000 ahead now after not buying any aftermarket or other warranties. My tire/wheel warranty almost paid for itself on the previous car and now I am in the same boat without it on the current car: the warranties are for profit and you are betting against yourself if you take care of the car properly.

But if it keeps you up at night worrying, its better than nothing...

My $.02
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 06:46 AM   #11
mediocrechris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I appreciate everyone who has commented. I really like this car and it seems so nice and well built. I hate to think that a company intentionally makes a bad product, but when all you read about are problems after problems after problems, it's easy for someone like me to worry.

I hope more people can chime in and offer advice/insight.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 03:09 PM   #12
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate everyone who has commented. I really like this car and it seems so nice and well built. I hate to think that a company intentionally makes a bad product, but when all you read about are problems after problems after problems, it's easy for someone like me to worry.

Remember, the vast majority of people that post on forums are looking to complain or look for a solution to a problem. The vast majority of owners never come to a forum and are completely satisfied with their purchase.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #13
NGAAutoTV
Rep
Drives: ’14 535i M Sport & 2006 Z4M

My post may discourage you slightly but it’s not intended to. I love my car.

I purchased my 2014 535i MSport in September 2017 with 28k miles. This car was my first BMW. I enjoy my car so I do open it up when I get a chance. I drive about 300-400 miles a week for work and family use. I just passed 49k miles and my car experienced it’s first major issue last week. While driving the low pressure fuel pump failed and my car stalled. It would not start. I was able to coast into a nearby gas station and called my insurance’s roadside to get the car home, then had BMW Roadside tow it to my local dealer the next day. After paying my $50 CPO deductible, my car was ready the next day. My experience was OK as I had to address some issues when I got the car back.

Am I worried about reliability? Sort of. Would I sell the car and get a more “reliable car”? Nope. For me, nothing has the same look or feel. I have accepted that this car will have its issues. After having owned Japanese made cars exclusively for the previous 18 years, I am still getting used to this notion. My Acura’s and Toyota’s had their faults as well. Honda’s notoriously have automatic transmission issues but we still own one. With BMW I can expect the same.

I plan on owning this car for as long as I can. There are common failures to watch for - serpentine belt, electric water pump, carbon build up, and both fuel pumps. Other than those issues, the F10 with the N55 is a solid car from what have I found. I’d suggest finding a reputable independent shop you can trust and build a relationship with them. You will have issues, but if you make an attempt to have your car maintained there is no reason not to trust it. There may be unexpected issues so just plan for those.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #14
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
I feel totally comfortable with my 2011 535xi, bought with 19k and has 42k. Car has done 2,000 miles in one weekend, and regularly gets used for 10 hr round trip road trips. It's been my most reliable bimmer out of all my E46s and E60.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 09:44 PM   #15
VAB5
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 535; '15 328; '05 ZHP conv

Quote:

I'll chime in again. Enjoy the car--it's a great, luxurious, powerful driving machine.

I've had Hondas and Toyotas with annoying issues, and BMWs with no issues at all. Every car is different.

You can angst all you want, but it ain't gonna change things. I suggest you just enjoy the ride.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 11:06 PM   #16
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGABMWF10 View Post
... carbon build up...
Not really an issue with the N55. The N54, yes; the N55, not so much.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 05:37 AM   #17
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Engineering by its nature is a compromise of longevity/quality/cost. Companies like BMW don't make cars to be overpriced in the market, which is very tough in all directions.

It's easy to design a fuel pump that never fails, but it might cost more than the car.

It goes with all the systems on the car. BMW, IMO, does a good job with its higher volume cars as the cost of engineering and marketing is distributed into many units sold.

Buying a car for me is a cost/benefit analysis. If a car is within my price range and fulfills my needs/desires, I buy it. I like new cars because then I can properly care for my investment over more miles and don't worry about drivers thinking the car is a Porsche. If the car checks all the boxes, I keep it long enough to distribute the initial loss of value over a lot of miles. Diesel allows significant savings in fuel (over premium) as well as resale value over the 200,000 miles I expect to keep the car. Not buying expensive extended warranties allows me to budget less costly repairs for after such a warranty expires (hint: dealers make their money on warranty claims and seriously overprice their services - I have a private mechanic).

PL
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #18
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Dont worry only pre LCI bmw f10s have problems thats 2013 and down anything above 2014 is considered an LCI model mines at 64K miles and Theres hasnt been a single problem since I bought it brand new and I believe it will not have any problems later either these engines are reworked and are very reliable only down side is value drops like no other i cant even get 80% of what i bought it for thats how bad it gets and mine is serviced only at BMW if u start getting it serviced else where it’s probably gana mess up and I drive mine hard all the time donuts maxing speed to 120 MPH and nothing happens its good car so dont worry. Its called the ultimate driving machine for a reason
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #19
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

You have just purchased low mileage car with fairly reliable engine. Most major things are fully covered for you for next 2 years. I don't see major reason to worry, I mean, you could, but, you know "only worry about things you can control" everything else is waste of time.

Things will break during your warranty and will get fixed for free, no issues if you have a good dealership in your area. Things will also break after warranty expires and you better believe they will be quite expensive to repair.

Just like pretty much any other brand out there these days.

Enjoy the car and be prepared to pay from time to time, that's just how it goes.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #20
mediocrechris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I still appreciate the messages. I love this car and I need to just enjoy it while I have it and worry about problems later. I still invite anybody else who has anything to add to please share your knowledge with me concerning 535i.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #21
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

BMW North America deserve their F rating on the BBB. Look at the way they handled the HPFP issue a few years back.

Look how they are NOT handling the diesel EGR issue right now in the US. Nearly eight months after the issue was first acknowledged, I can't find a single car in the US that has needed parts that has been fixed. All the replacements are being held in Europe and the waiting time can be five days to five months.

Still, BMW are not the only ones to play fast and loose with their customers. A short list off the top of my head:

GM: ignition locks; 3.4 V6 head gaskets
Toyota: engine sludge
Honda/Acura: transmissions that self destructed
Merecedes Benz: transmissions that self destructed (somehow, they even defeated the class action suit)
Jaguar: crappy water pumps 2011-2015.
Ford: tire pressures below Bridgestone's minimum leading to Explorers crashing.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #22
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

going on 3 years now with my 2014 CPO 535i. the only major issue I had was with malfunctioning cameras during the first year (my previous 2013 328i had the same problem). But nothing of note since. I have about 39K miles on the odo. Still love the car. Handled like a boat compared to the 328i I had before, but coilovers and wider tires fixed that nicely.