2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum CPO 550i breaking down multiple times since the time of purchase

01-18-2018, 11:50 PM   #23
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535_BiTurbo View Post

Where is the settlement info?
The settlement is probably going to be along the lines of a couple of dollars for each owner of the N63. Lawyers are the only ones that make it out Big in things like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #24
rogueshot
Rep
Drives: '10 550 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
The settlement is probably going to be along the lines of a couple of dollars for each owner of the N63. Lawyers are the only ones that make it out Big in things like this.
the settlement is rumored to be an extended warranty and some sort of follow on CCP for N63 motors.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 06:04 PM   #25
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i 2014

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Just got an update from the service center and the agent said "We have submitted a case to BMW Engineering for assistance in the Drive train malfunction concern. This process may take several days."

Leaves me worried.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 06:46 PM   #26
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueshot View Post
the settlement is rumored to be an extended warranty and some sort of follow on CCP for N63 motors.
That rumor came from a user on here that posted on that 3 year old thread. Not trying to be a “negative Nancy,” but the chances of that being anywhere near the truth is very low.

If it were true, BMW will probably appeal the case to higher courts and by the time they come to an agreement, if the party has enough money to continue to pursue the issue, we will all be out of this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #27
rogueshot
Rep

Quote:
That rumor came from a user on here that posted on that 3 year old thread. Not trying to be a “negative Nancy,” but the chances of that being anywhere near the truth is very low.

If it were true, BMW will probably appeal the case to higher courts and by the time they come to an agreement, if the party has enough money to continue to pursue the issue, we will all be out of this car.
That "3 year old thread" on bimmerfest has been viewed over 272k times and has over 69 pages of regular posts since 2014. To my knowledge it is the definitive repository on the N63 issues/CCP and lawsuit...

actually the official court documents reflect that the parties (class counsel and BMW) cancelled a scheduled conference on the basis that the parties were moving forward to have the court approve a proposed settlement - this means that both parties have already agreed (or are very close to agreeing) on terms of the settlement and will be presenting the settlement to the judge for approval. The timing and content of Krunk's post appears to make sense given this official development...Something is coming soon.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2018, 12:36 AM   #28
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
My car has been with the dealer for more than a week and I spoke to someone at BMW relations today for the issues that have been recurring in the car.
The car has had multiple visits for nearly one week each time at the dealer for the same problem. Car also has a seat sliding backwards upon acceleration and rocking forward on braking that was not fixed after four visits for the same issue. I asked if they want me to go with lemon filing vs buy back and they said they're sending a field engineering guy to look into the issue.

Given that I have been stranded on the freeway twice with drive train malfunction errors, recurring issues that never got fixed, feeling a little cheated and frustrated with BMW at this point of time. I have had only BMWs since 2007 and it has shaken my faith in the trust with the brand.

Any thoughts on how to pursue this case appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #29
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

A lemon car I guess? Sold it and buy a new one....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #30
rogueshot
Rep

is there even a used car lemon law in your state? I would not expect BMW NA to bend over backwards for you on a CPO sale....they will keep trying to repair. Your best hope is likely the class action settlement....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550ihtown View Post
My car has been with the dealer for more than a week and I spoke to someone at BMW relations today for the issues that have been recurring in the car.
The car has had multiple visits for nearly one week each time at the dealer for the same problem. Car also has a seat sliding backwards upon acceleration and rocking forward on braking that was not fixed after four visits for the same issue. I asked if they want me to go with lemon filing vs buy back and they said they're sending a field engineering guy to look into the issue.

Given that I have been stranded on the freeway twice with drive train malfunction errors, recurring issues that never got fixed, feeling a little cheated and frustrated with BMW at this point of time. I have had only BMWs since 2007 and it has shaken my faith in the trust with the brand.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #31
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueshot View Post
That "3 year old thread" on bimmerfest has been viewed over 272k times and has over 69 pages of regular posts since 2014. To my knowledge it is the definitive repository on the N63 issues/CCP and lawsuit...

actually the official court documents reflect that the parties (class counsel and BMW) cancelled a scheduled conference on the basis that the parties were moving forward to have the court approve a proposed settlement - this means that both parties have already agreed (or are very close to agreeing) on terms of the settlement and will be presenting the settlement to the judge for approval. The timing and content of Krunk's post appears to make sense given this official development...Something is coming soon.
Do I think Bmw screwed it’s customers with the N63? Yes. Do I think they’re going to get away with it? Yes.

There’s too many variables that come into play with engines, it’s too difficult to get a controlled group together that maintained their car in the same way, at the same times, with the same oil, same filters, in the same conditions and compare those numbers against the amount of failures and the amount of N63’s that are running with no issues. BMW has access to all this information, and I guarantee the number of N63 cars running with no issues heavily outweigh those with issues. It was the same for the lawsuits against the V10 S85/V8 S65 engines in the previous model M5/M3, respectively. They have a design flaw that causes bearings to spin due to clearances, bmw got away with it because it’s difficult to prove in court.

Regarding the N63, There was another class action initiated by PAX5, he used to be an active member. BMW motioned the court dismiss the case after 2 years after presenting its statistics, the court agreed. It’s over on bimmerpost or if you google N63 class action, it will be on the top class action website with an update that the court ruled in bmw’s favor to dismiss.

A new law firm (Capstone) emerged with a case against bmw for oil consumption, in which a possible settlement was reached. I would not expect a refund or a major payout from a settlement on oil consumption. It’s probably free top offs, which my dealer does already. That’s a viable solution to the problem that the court would probably agree to.

The thread you’re referring to was one of the initial threads started when the N63 CCP campaign was announced and was by no means a “recall” as they have titled it. Followed by many misinformed people spreading hearsay. As stated above the first case was dismissed and the one actively going, is from Capstone Firm, who also own that bmwoilconsumption website. If you call them, they take your info which helps with their attorney fees when the settlement is reached and they’ll inform you that a settlement is near for oil consumption.

Last edited by BlackWidow; 01-23-2018 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #32
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks!
Surprised they haven’t figured out the issue, BMW will take care of you though, it’s something they’re actually known for. They just have to run the course of making sure it’s something they can or cannot fix.

My engine was replaced outside of CPO warranty and above 100,000 miles. All I paid was labor costs which was a small fraction of what the total cost was.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 10:34 PM   #33
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!
Surprised they haven’t figured out the issue, BMW will take care of you though, it’s something they’re actually known for. They just have to run the course of making sure it’s something they can or cannot fix.

My engine was replaced outside of CPO warranty and above 100,000 miles. All I paid was labor costs which was a small fraction of what the total cost was.
They did plenty of test drives and weren't able to find the error again. One of their mechanic is going to take the car over to his house overnight and he has a 40 mile drive one way and see if the error pops up again. Said nothing else was needed from their end and asked me to bring the car back if this happens again.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #34
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 iX

Quote:

Thanks!
I would suggest to start a lemon case. Dealership may not be involved they can continue keeping your car in repairs. In fact the longer they keep it the better. Don't be fooled by friendly voice of BMW rep- they all have one purpose to deny all claims and responsibilities. I bet the name that the rep gave you is fake. BMW tech is on their side too. Also they may replace some parts on your car without telling you and then blame you for another broken part. This is what they did in my case! They dont give a shit how many BMWs you had.

So start lemon case by filing an application with your state. They will review and if accepted send to BMW. Grounds for lemon case is certain amount time in ALL repairs (30 or so days combined) 3 or more repairs of same issue (even if fixed after 3 rd visit) and certain number of repairs within certain mileage of new/used car but check with your state. After BMW received lemon application form state they either accept it or take it to arbitrage.

If they fix by the time your application is processed then fine, if not you did not waste any time by filing it. It takes few months so the earlier you file the better.

Document all repairs, record tech/foreman responses on cellphone camera, they all lie through the roof. Record conversations on the phone as well. You may not know it but BMW does record it and you do not. In my sate by law you dont have to give a warning that you record phone conversation, if you do announce it loud and clear and they will cut to the point quickly.

Remember BMW is not your friend, the only friend is the law.

2011 535 iX lemoned
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #35
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 iX

Lemon procedure might be harder for a used CPO car though....

2011 535 iX lemoned
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 09:41 PM   #36
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTruth View Post
Lemon procedure might be harder for a used CPO car though....
Lemon law doesnt apply to used cars...

OP, it sounds like your car problem is intermittent, from the sounds of it I'm leaning towards low pressure fuel pump, plugs, coils, or injectors. One or more of those is on it's way out but not out of tolerance enough to cause a consistent misfire. If it's a fuel delivery problem, then there is a high possibilty no codes are going to be stored and this makes it harder to diagnose for the dealer. When my fuel pump went, it took awhile before it could be properly diagnosed because it wasnt throwing codes at first. Remember the dealer isn't going to get everything right the first time all the time. Engines are a piece of work and although computers in our cars can monitor almost everything, there's still a margin for error. I'm not sure if you've ever seen dealership service test plan and the software, but they all say to try one thing at a time. If replacing the first item doesn't permanently fix the issue then they try the next thing on the list. If the code your car is throwing's Test plan doesn't say to replace the low pressure fuel pump, they can't change the LPFP because BMWNA won't approve the repair (accountability aspect). There is a possibility that you had multiple things "bad" intermittently and the parts are on the brink of complete failure, but bmw can't replace them until they fail and the test plan calls for it.

Also, dealers aren't necessarily pro-BMWNA per se as suggested earlier. Most Local BMW dealers are franchised just like any other major chain business and these dealers make a fair share of money off of BMWNA from warranty repairs by performing the labor. If BMWNA approves a major warranty repair or covers 100% of a Goodwill Repair, they pay the dealer you take your car to for the labor. It also sounds like some people have sour relationships with their dealerships. Luckily, majority of the dealers here have Service Advisors and Technicians that are active in local car groups, so they are enthusiasts too. They still have the brands interest first, but they also have that sense of understanding. You never want to cause distentions with your dealership because with this engine, you'll need them to go to bat for you when you request goodwill repairs from BMWNA. BMW is really good at customer service, I too had my N63 motor replaced out of warranty, so they understand these engines are problematic.

Last edited by SLVSRFR; 01-24-2018 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #37
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

I had a similar issue with drive train malfunctions. Took car to dealer under CPO 4 times an they couldn’t figure it out and would replace one injector or spark plug at a time. Then after CPO was over they did an extensive test and said there is oil in cylinders. Even though I had no white smoke issue. Long story short, BMW stepped in to cover valve stem seals, but when I picked up the car, the hiccup was still there. Bear in mind this is after all new spark plugs 3 injectors and 2 coils. They recommended I have the coils changed and we’re going to charge me $1500. I said give me the damn keys and I bought 6 Eldor coils off of eBay and swapped them myself. Since then, no hiccups..

The only issue that remains is the car tends to slightly shiver at stop lights (this was happening before too just didn’t annoy me enough to deal with) from time to time but no codes are thrown. And since no codes are thrown, the dealer is not interested in looking at it.. oh well.

I would say worst case, atleast try to replace all the coils with the newer Eldor coils..should not cost you more than $200 and you can easily do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #38
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

I'm shocked that famous valve stem seals issue still present in current BMW's V8. The issue started with M60 engines back in 1992 and still appears to be a problem on current engines... 26 year ago fff unbelievable

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
I had a similar issue with drive train malfunctions. Took car to dealer under CPO 4 times an they couldn’t figure it out and would replace one injector or spark plug at a time. Then after CPO was over they did an extensive test and said there is oil in cylinders. Even though I had no white smoke issue. Long story short, BMW stepped in to cover valve stem seals, but when I picked up the car, the hiccup was still there. Bear in mind this is after all new spark plugs 3 injectors and 2 coils. They recommended I have the coils changed and we’re going to charge me $1500. I said give me the damn keys and I bought 6 Eldor coils off of eBay and swapped them myself. Since then, no hiccups..

The only issue that remains is the car tends to slightly shiver at stop lights (this was happening before too just didn’t annoy me enough to deal with) from time to time but no codes are thrown. And since no codes are thrown, the dealer is not interested in looking at it.. oh well.

I would say worst case, atleast try to replace all the coils with the newer Eldor coils..should not cost you more than $200 and you can easily do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 07:09 PM   #39
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

i have a 2014 550i with n63tu and i recently got a notice that BMW is extending the warranty on the fuel injectors, its NOT a recall, but if i have any more injector issues they will be replaced under this extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #40
Charter23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xdrive

Garage List
Wow, last week I was sooo close to buying a CPO 2015 550i xdrive with 30k miles. Absolutely loved it but after reviewing the service records I got nervous. The previous owner must have gone through exactly what you guys are experiencing. Decided to go with the 535 instead. So far so good but man I wish they could work the kinks out of that V8! It's a beast.
      02-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #41
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
i have a 2014 550i with n63tu and i recently got a notice that BMW is extending the warranty on the fuel injectors, its NOT a recall, but if i have any more injector issues they will be replaced under this extended warranty.
Did it specify n63tu only or n63 as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #42
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Cool92 View Post
Did it specify n63tu only or n63 as well?
n63tu specific....
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 07:40 PM   #43
rogueshot
Rep

"slight shiver" - just a rough idle? what about a slight lull as you pull away/accelerate? I still attribute this to a fouled intake/valves that need to be walnut blasted - partly a function of the oil consumption/poorly seated piston rings and of course partly just due to direct injection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 08:56 PM   #44
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

The valves were walnut blasted when the valve stem seals were done.. that was part of what the "regional engineer" had asked the dealer to perform on the car and is listed in the 10 page thesis of what they did..

The idle might be vaccum related, I'm going to try and find out of there are any leaks. There isn't a lull when I accelerate but the weirdest thing I heard the car do was in granny mode (Comfort and D) high gear low RPM (around 1200RPM or so) in a neighborhood with walls, I could literally hear what I would call as engine knocking. I would have thought there are enough sensors in the car to tell the car to downshift..but sadly no.. so I make it a point not to try and coast or move at under 1500 RPM by ensuring i'm in a lower gear..

Anyways, back to the original issue, yeah, I'm thinking its either vacuum related or even the vanos solenoid maybe?
Appreciate 0