2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum New to the F11 535D hello thread

04-04-2018, 07:09 AM   #1
1animal1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535D LCI F11

New to the F11 535D hello thread

Hi, I have just last week picked up an F11 535D M Sport LCI to replace my ageing E61 535D. What an improvement over the old car! I absolutely love it.

Options include HUD, Panoramic, Lane change assist, full cameras, Adaptive's, 19" alloys, full memory seats, digital dash, high beam assist, anti dazzle mirrors, external ambient from memory.

I have a couple of questions however.

-Firstly plugging in my Ipod Nano gen 4 under the arm rest, it seems to switch off after varying periods. It could be half a song, it could be 4 songs... rarely has it gone beyond this. Reading, the issues appear to have been associated with HD based ipod, rather than solid state...

-My mirrors fold on the key, and the ipod music can be selected through the HUD -does this mean my car has been coded at some point? A lot of ENET cable ads seems to show that these can be coded - would just like to know if someones been at it before I start playing about.

-The rear end seems to deflate very occasionally on one side, so presume the Chinese airbags are giving up - I've ordered Arnott replacements but just wondering if this could be anything else beyond the solenoid - pretty sure the relay only controls on/off rather than left/right on/off? Sure I'll find out once I've fitted the new bag but just trying to plan ahead - also sourced new bump stops and boots for the rear shocks - seems they have almost obliterated themselves as happens with most F11's.

-Also, anything else I can do with the digital dash between the clocks - seems like a waste of space when driving.

Thanks

Tim

Last edited by 1animal1; 04-04-2018 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 07:16 AM   #2
1animal1
United Kingdom
Rep

What a welcome.... bowled over with all the responses. Thanks chaps
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 07:20 AM   #3
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Welcome to the forum!!

Lovely buy f11 535d

Always wanted one and still would.

What spec have you got on it?

Any pictures of the new motor?

Sp
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
-Firstly plugging in my Ipod Nano gen 4 under the arm rest, it seems to switch off after varying periods. It could be half a song, it could be 4 songs... rarely has it gone beyond this. Reading, the issues appear to have been associated with HD based ipod, rather than solid state...

-My mirrors fold on the key, and the ipod music can be selected through the HUD -does this mean my car has been coded at some point? A lot of ENET cable ads seems to show that these can be coded - would just like to know if someones been at it before I start playing about.

-The rear end seems to deflate very occasionally on one side, so presume the Chinese airbags are giving up - I've ordered Arnott replacements but just wondering if this could be anything else beyond the solenoid - pretty sure the relay only controls on/off rather than left/right on/off? Sure I'll find out once I've fitted the new bag but just trying to plan ahead - also sourced new bump stops and boots for the rear shocks - seems they have almost obliterated themselves as happens with most F11's.

-Also, anything else I can do with the digital dash between the clocks - seems like a waste of space when driving.

Thanks

Tim
Welcome!

- Cant say anything about the ipod as I just Bluetooth all my music
- Yes, mirrors folding by the FOB is one of the most common code mods
- Cant say about airbags (don't have them)
- What you mean clocks?

Quote:
What a welcome.... bowled over with all the responses. Thanks chaps
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #5
1animal1
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
Welcome to the forum!!

Lovely buy f11 535d

Always wanted one and still would.

What spec have you got on it?

Any pictures of the new motor?

Sp
Cheers! Thought I'd posted in the wrong section

Specs pretty decent tbf (noted above), although there's always something you want to retrofit - being enthusiasts

Pics below - it's carbon black, not my first choice but will look amazing once it's had a decent machine polish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Welcome!

- Cant say anything about the ipod as I just Bluetooth all my music
- Yes, mirrors folding by the FOB is one of the most common code mods
- Cant say about airbags (don't have them)
- What you mean clocks?
Thanks!

- Think I'm going to source the Y cable, if that fails then bluetooth everything from the phone. Only concern there is the phone battery and being a**ed to take out of my pocket to charge
- Cool, so someones been coding it already with the looks of things.
- Clocks as in speedo - with me having the digital set up, is there something i can do to ad features as it looks a bit bland. Sure i get the red car symbol when I'm about to run into something, or the car pic when the doors are open...but surely it can be made to looks a bit better

Loving the white 5's chaps - that was my first colour choice, suits the F10/11 perfectly.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5706.00
      04-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
1animal1
United Kingdom
Rep

Name:  20180405_202213.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  186.4 KB

Need to get it in a fit state first job, replace airbags and rear shock covers/bump stops this weekend. Trying to source some 9J rears - as good as the 245's are, i much prefer the stance of some decent 9J 275/285's on the back.

I also need to get an enet cable as my 'D can' won't talk to it through ISTA/D, so I can't read the faults yet. Oh and sort the breached front fog nearside.

Last edited by 1animal1; 04-05-2018 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Attachment 1799516

Need to get it in a fit state first job, replace airbags and rear shock covers/bump stops this weekend. Trying to source some 9J rears - as good as the 245's are, i much prefer the stance of some decent 9J 275/285's on the back.

I also need to get an enet cable as my 'D can' won't talk to it through ISTA/D, so I can't read the faults yet. Oh and sort the breached front fog nearside.
Carbon black f11 535d with 351M wheels

One of Germany's finest I say!

Congrats and well done!

Please update me on any future mods!

Would love to see this project take off!

Sp.
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Beautiful Touring!
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2018, 07:54 AM   #9
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 G32 6GT; 2014 F45 218i

Quote:
Cheers! Thought I'd posted in the wrong section

Specs pretty decent tbf (noted above), although there's always something you want to retrofit - being enthusiasts

Pics below - it's carbon black, not my first choice but will look amazing once it's had a decent machine polish.

Thanks!

- Think I'm going to source the Y cable, if that fails then bluetooth everything from the phone. Only concern there is the phone battery and being a**ed to take out of my pocket to charge
- Cool, so someones been coding it already with the looks of things.
- Clocks as in speedo - with me having the digital set up, is there something i can do to ad features as it looks a bit bland. Sure i get the red car symbol when I'm about to run into something, or the car pic when the doors are open...but surely it can be made to looks a bit better

Loving the white 5's chaps - that was my first colour choice, suits the F10/11 perfectly.
You are wasting your money buying the Y cable. If you have pro Nav (wide screen) then the white Apple cable is all you need. But, forget the iPod and just buy a small USB stick and export your iTunes library to the USB stick and leave that plugged in the car permanently. I have a 2010 F11 with Pro Nav and use this method. It works flawlessly.

As for coding, the Mirrors folding by pressing and holding the lock button on the remote is standard here in the UK no coding needed.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2018, 12:37 AM   #10
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Why are your rims square setup on a non xdrive? or just tyres are wrong from previous owner?

Nice black wagon, congrats!
      04-09-2018, 03:13 AM   #11
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Why are your rims square setup on a non xdrive? or just tyres are wrong from previous owner?

All F11s have a square setup from factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #12
1animal1
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .BMW. View Post
Beautiful Touring!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrashton View Post
You are wasting your money buying the Y cable. If you have pro Nav (wide screen) then the white Apple cable is all you need. But, forget the iPod and just buy a small USB stick and export your iTunes library to the USB stick and leave that plugged in the car permanently. I have a 2010 F11 with Pro Nav and use this method. It works flawlessly.

As for coding, the Mirrors folding by pressing and holding the lock button on the remote is standard here in the UK no coding needed.
I have tried 2 white cables now, the second of which seems to last longer before it kicks me out. I have tried via Bluetooth today but the sound quality dropped off massively! I had to turn the volume up a quarter more to hear it... This is the only Apple product I own, only reason I have kept is for the usual ease. I have several thousand tracks so want something that can catagorise like the ipod, rather than creating 2 versions of the same track for each playlist. Unless you have a way of doing this on the USB?

Uploading is also an option isn't it? The Nav gives me the option to upload... not sure what the memory size is like.

Interesting on the door mirrors - I've also noticed my middle lamps on the main headlights come on when turning at low speed (maybe at high speed but obvs can't check), I thought this was an Esys thing too?

Quote:
So annoying...it ruins the look. No wonder everyone wants a fortune for the 9J's. I have been checking out tyre prices and there's not much difference between the 19/20", so may end up going up a size - need to do a bit of research regards ride comfort, handling etc.

MAde a start on the machine polishing this weekend, one wing, one hour - what a difference. Down side of a used 5 series, if the previous owner was a business user, it was likely cleaned with a brush
535D F11 LCI M Sport - Carbon Black - HUD, Digital dash, Panoramic, 19" 351's, High beam assist, Lane departure/collision detection, Anti dazzle mirror pack, External ambient, Comfort, Adaptive Xenons, Full electric sports seats, Rear/side cameras, Shadowline, Sport+ & Paddles, HK stereo
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #13
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Welcome
      04-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #14
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post

Quote:
I believe all non-M Sports are square. Our base 535i came with a square setup.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2018, 02:34 AM   #15
1animal1
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I believe all non-M Sports are square. Our base 535i came with a square setup.
Mine is an M Sport
535D F11 LCI M Sport - Carbon Black - HUD, Digital dash, Panoramic, 19" 351's, High beam assist, Lane departure/collision detection, Anti dazzle mirror pack, External ambient, Comfort, Adaptive Xenons, Full electric sports seats, Rear/side cameras, Shadowline, Sport+ & Paddles, HK stereo
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #16
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep

All F11s MSport and none MSport have a square set up from factory.

I'm very happy with the look of mine as standard on 19" square set up. And the 9J with 275 wide tyres are worse on MPG. All personal of course.

Last edited by mrashton; 04-12-2018 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #17
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

I have tried 2 white cables now, the second of which seems to last longer before it kicks me out. I have tried via Bluetooth today but the sound quality dropped off massively! I had to turn the volume up a quarter more to hear it... This is the only Apple product I own, only reason I have kept is for the usual ease. I have several thousand tracks so want something that can catagorise like the ipod, rather than creating 2 versions of the same track for each playlist. Unless you have a way of doing this on the USB?

Uploading is also an option isn't it? The Nav gives me the option to upload... not sure what the memory size is like.

Interesting on the door mirrors - I've also noticed my middle lamps on the main headlights come on when turning at low speed (maybe at high speed but obvs can't check), I thought this was an Esys thing too?

If you use iTunes with Playlists configured - just use a 64 USB stick and http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport/ to export the entire library and you have full functionality all controlled by the iDrive. I have over 10000 songs on mine and it works perfectly. I use one of these which is very discrete: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BGTG3...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #18
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

No, that is the cornering light function that comes with Adaptive Xenons nothing to do with ESYS. On non-adaptive Xenons the inner light is actually a dummy and does nothing at all.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #19
stevesingo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i MSport 6MT

WRT iPod Connectivity, have you updated the software?

https://www.bmw.co.uk/bmw-ownership/...ftware-updates

I also have a UK F11 535d in Carbon Black, pre LCi though. Mirrors fold on key.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #20
1animal1
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No, that is the cornering light function that comes with Adaptive Xenons nothing to do with ESYS. On non-adaptive Xenons the inner light is actually a dummy and does nothing at all.
Ah ok - still wondering if someones attempted to code but it is looking increasingly like they haven't thankfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesingo View Post
WRT iPod Connectivity, have you updated the software?

https://www.bmw.co.uk/bmw-ownership/...ftware-updates

I also have a UK F11 535d in Carbon Black, pre LCi though. Mirrors fold on key.
I have updated it and it made no difference - I've tried two genuine cables and both kept cutting out. Just bought a short cable from ebay for £1.50...job done! relief

Quote:
If you use iTunes with Playlists configured - just use a 64 USB stick and http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport/ to export the entire library and you have full functionality all controlled by the iDrive. I have over 10000 songs on mine and it works perfectly. I use one of these which is very discrete: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BGTG3...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks I'll give that a bash if it fails again

Quote:
All F11s MSport and none MSport have a square set up from factory.

I'm very happy with the look of mine as standard on 19" square set up. And the 9J with 275 wide tyres are worse on MPG. All personal of course.
The square set up is annoying and i defo notice a bit less traction on the back end compared to the E61 - that was remapped so would imagine they will be similar off the line and traction wise.

MPG is a good point - the performance is infectious but i must admit to booting it a lot less than previous cars. These are such nice cruisers

Latest annoyance is me getting INPA working with the D can and recording 17 fault codes - mostly none entities, except for the battery code which suggest the battery is shot! Yet it the stop start still works which stopped on the wifes E84 when the battery started to go... also window regulator for passenger side flagging, but it works without issue. Think I need to get me an enet to confirm all of this as ISTA won't allow me to fault find the codes.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Welcome

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2018, 04:40 PM   #22
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

I have the staggered 19's on my M Sport Saloon, we also have an M Sport Touring with the square 19's. There is no visible difference in stance to my eyes - you can't really tell the saloon has wider rears.

This is a bit contrast to the E39 where you could really see the extra dish on the staggered setup.