2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes 343M F10 Rubbing Paint Chipping

03-18-2021, 10:42 AM   #23
blewcheese
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 540i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8brwnshark View Post
That's what all my research has shown but I'm confused now because I likely have the m6 343m however they fit perfectly with the exception of the rears poking out.
My experience with that question in the past month:

-BMW dealership says no, and to make sure they are M5 wheels
-a wheel reseller on ebay said no as well but...
-another ebay reseller said its fine
      03-18-2021, 12:27 PM   #24
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
That's what all my research has shown but I'm confused now because I likely have the m6 343m however they fit perfectly with the exception of the rears poking out.
I think that's why retailers mean when they say "it works". They're only concerned with compatibility, not fitment. If has the right bolt pattern and hub bore, they just send it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewcheese View Post

Third ebay seller is probably trying to not scare off a buyer, thus mindlessly saying yes.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 01:45 PM   #25
blewcheese
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 540i xDrive M Sport

FWIW, here's what the honest eBay seller said:

FITMENTS: 2012 through 2018 BMW M6. Won't fit other models due to the extremely low rear offset.
      03-18-2021, 10:27 PM   #26
gr8brwnshark
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i, 2006 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Quote:
I think that's why retailers mean when they say "it works". They're only concerned with compatibility, not fitment. If has the right bolt pattern and hub bore, they just send it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewcheese View Post

Third ebay seller is probably trying to not scare off a buyer, thus mindlessly saying yes.
I'm still trying to find a definitive reason why it should be avoided. Wouldn't they be similar to having the m5 wheels with spacers? I'm likely going to continue with the set up even though they stick out; I haven't had any issues with paint chipping or bad paint in the area either. There's usually no one ever sitting in the back car and I will of course avoid putting the car at full load to prevent rubbing at all times. As long as I stick to this, and drive carefully over bumps/pot holes this set up seems just fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 12:25 AM   #27
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
I'm still trying to find a definitive reason why it should be avoided. Wouldn't they be similar to having the m5 wheels with spacers? I'm likely going to continue with the set up even though they stick out; I haven't had any issues with paint chipping or bad paint in the area either. There's usually no one ever sitting in the back car and I will of course avoid putting the car at full load to prevent rubbing at all times. As long as I stick to this, and drive carefully over bumps/pot holes this set up seems just fine.
The definitive reason is that people don't like wheels sticking out so far, both for aesthetics and aforementioned rub issues.
Appreciate 0