2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Need advice, rear suspension clunking noises.

04-17-2021, 05:06 PM   #1
Luky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M Sport

Need advice, rear suspension clunking noises.

I installed the Bilstein PSS10 coilovers and H&R swaybars. About a year ago. Only lowered the minimum about 1/2" from stock sport suspension. A few months ago i was coming back from getting fishtank water and had nine 5 gal jugs in the trunk, about 400 lbs. Was on a back road doing about 55mph and went through an intersection on a green light without slowing. Other side of intersection had a big freaking dip/patch across the entire width of road. I slammmed over it hard. Started having cluncking and rattling noises. I have only driven 3k miles since start of covid and maybe 100 miles since this happened. so have not been worried about it. Seems to be getting worse and I now hate driving my car.

I have pulled all tools and stuff out of my trunk. Tried driving with back seats down, but can just tell it is rear end making the noises. Had it up on quick jacks for an oil change a couple weeks ago, and don't see anything wrong. Thought maybe i broke an end link but they were fine. Noise happens over small bumps (like if driving on cobble stones) making lound clunks. Also get sounds like trunk lid is not closed or doors not closed and shaking in frames. I am concerned I broke subframe mounts or something significant. Each corner is dialed down to full soft now. Was only 4/10 before.

Car only has 46k miles and is just out of CPO warranty. Appreciate any suggestions. Going to take it to independent mechanic next weekend for diagnosis. I bought route 66 extended warranty but afraid they might reject repairs due to coilovers so would probably need to go back to stock suspension before taking to dealer or making a claim if its something i can't fix. (Big PITA).
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 10:13 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Hey Luky!! 'Sup??

I would 1st start with reinstalling the factory shocks. That will rule out any problem with the Bilstein's. A friend had a similar clunking sound on his 2010 Genesis. We spent a ton of time trying to chase down the clunk. Turned out to be an upper rear shock mount. Fortunately the mount was replaceable.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 02:49 PM   #3
Luky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hi Michael! Thanks for the feedback. That was something i have been thinking to check... just need to pop out speaker grills and speakers. I put new ones in when i installed the Bilsteins, but i will check them next. In retrospect that makes total sense for what i am experiencing.

Funny thing, i think it was about two weeks ago we were coming back from San Elijo and i was looking for cheap gas using gas buddy and you had just let a price update for costco in San Marcos. Had to point it out to my wife and say " I know that guy!"
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 03:10 PM   #4
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Your strut may have blown from the harsh bump.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luky View Post
Hi Michael! Thanks for the feedback. That was something i have been thinking to check... just need to pop out speaker grills and speakers. I put new ones in when i installed the Bilsteins, but i will check them next. In retrospect that makes total sense for what i am experiencing.

Funny thing, i think it was about two weeks ago we were coming back from San Elijo and i was looking for cheap gas using gas buddy and you had just let a price update for costco in San Marcos. Had to point it out to my wife and say " I know that guy!"
LOL!! I post those prices when I have access to my phone, though I never use the points.

Weird thing about my friend's shock mount; it was held on by two bolts and there was a barely visible crack across the "ear" of one side of the mount.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 05:53 PM   #6
Luky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hi again Michael, yes you were correct. I pulled the rear speakers to get to the RSM and had my wife take me for a drive. With a finger on top of the shaft i could feel it going up and down maybe an inch, and the clunking noises coincided with the up/down movements of the shafts, both sides. So i would say definitly RSM are bad. Now i have to see if there is a performance rsm for the F10 like i used in my E46. I guess next Saturday is planned for me...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 07:11 PM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luky View Post
Hi again Michael, yes you were correct. I pulled the rear speakers to get to the RSM and had my wife take me for a drive. With a finger on top of the shaft i could feel it going up and down maybe an inch, and the clunking noises coincided with the up/down movements of the shafts, both sides. So i would say definitly RSM are bad. Now i have to see if there is a performance rsm for the F10 like i used in my E46. I guess next Saturday is planned for me...
I'm glad you found the problem!! My shot was totally in the dark! My 1st bet would have been blown shocks. How hard are the mounts to replace?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 07:59 PM   #8
Luky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I'm glad you found the problem!! My shot was totally in the dark! My 1st bet would have been blown shocks. How hard are the mounts to replace?
Looked at the shocks when i was under the car. No leaks or anything.

Probably 3 or 4 hours labor taking my time. Just r&r the coilover assemblies. About $90 ea for new ones OEM. Looked at my records and i had bought Febi/Bilstein aftermarket ones from the UK originally.

Last edited by Luky; 04-18-2021 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0