2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding seems like too much at once

10-09-2023, 03:25 AM   #1
dammitbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 535ix

Angry seems like too much at once

(DU62849 2012 535ix w/ comfort access, second owner) its gonna be long winded, hope I remember it all. when i bought my car 10-2021 I had some immediate issues I took care of new battery, alternator, a few sensors and a low pressure fuel pump. I went ahead and also purchased an Autel Maxisys 906TS. moving forward, the car ran great, it was fun, remembering why i loved a European car so much , i added some of those led bmw logo puddle lights just did a swap with the stock amber lights. on occasion my trunk would just random open, for example a friend would pull up, come in the house and ask why is your trunk open? or in the morning leaving and the trunk is open? mentioned it to the dealer, they said put new battery in key fob, so I did that. it seemed to go away. then intermittently car gave me no crank no start (never in the am at home it always happened at Target or the grocery) lights in the dash/car would come on but when I pushed the button nothing happened, no click, no crank just nothing. if I just waited a few minutes 5-10 the car would always start back up and I swear it was on my list to get handled but life happens everyday and I just kept forgetting. so that went on for over a year. still not a huge deal because it never left me stranded and my car ran great. so moving forward to beginning of summer. I dont let anyone drive my car, especially my husband, Ill be needing another forum for that topic but on this particular evening in June, we had company, because of the way all the other cars were parked, a time crunch he asked if he could take my car and I handed him my keys. the next day I went to leave and the battery was dead. jumped it off and off I went. got home, ran inside for a few minutes came back to leave, my car was dead again but this time it said start/stop disabled, my key was not recognized, my fob buttons stopped working, comfort access stopped working & had to hold it to the steering column to start the car. so I again got another new battery for the key fob but nothing changed. did some google searches, tried a few remedies but nothing changed so I ordered a virgin key and had my locksmith friend coming over to cut and program the new key when it arrived. so im having to put the key up to the steering column to crank the car, no big deal since I have the new key on its way. 2 weeks since this all began i get in the car to leave it starts, I put it in reverse, the car goes in neutral and stalls. that happened like 5 times so i get out of my car, grab the leys to my avalanche and off I went, got home tried my car again and same thing except now it says comfort access disabled and my fuel light was on. sent my husband for gas and it started right up so I left the farm to fill up my tank. leaving the property, my car stalls in the middle of the road in front of my driveway, I cant remember if I lost power but I did lose power steering and that caused a very minor collision with my husband who was pulling as I was pulling out. very tiny dent over the front passenger tire. the car would not to start to save my life, crank no start or start then stall, we had to do that trick to get it in neutral and drag it back home with the tractor. scanned it, missing alternator was what it said and short to ground(not exactly but very close). im no mechanic but since I just replaced the alternator, I was like WTF? but we went ahead and replaced the alternator under warranty but the car still crank no start, still says missing alternator, short to ground, missing ibs, alternator overcharge, drivetrain malfunction and some other stuff. again not exact but pretty close. my car battery was draining and then it was totally flat so that too got replaced and the LPFP was also replaced under warranty and the rail pressure sensor oh and the integrated power module under the hood on passenger side, dont leave out the brand new braided ground strap. now its labor day weekend and here in Atlanta it was hot as hell, we live on a farm(my idea, raising organic meat birds. you know back to the "basics", doing what our great grandparents did, teaching the kids to live off the land?) all that comes with mosquitos that are the size of a small house cat back to my car. im scouring the internet day & night, reading , reading looking for knowledge my car will start but immediately dies, sometimes it will run for maybe 5-6 minutes(sounds great, running strong im feeling pretty good, telling anyone behind me to get the hell out of my way because my car is running and im running away from home, then it shakes, shudders and stalls.
at this point its been down like 3 months? so im like F-IT its going to BMW, well BMW cant see me for 3 weeks, then life happened some more and I missed the appointment and now im looking at middle of November. in my search for knowledge ive pulled a fuel pump control module from another car exactly like mine, an IBS, another battery, basically everything from the trunk of the donar car except the fuse panel and emergency brake module. somewhere after the alternator and the new integrated power supply under the hood I found the violet exite wire that communicates with the DME was mostly broken and kinda crunchy so that too was repaired. car still the same with crank, start and stall. what is wrong with my car? ive also disconnected all of the door handles one by one and nothing. all i have is one code now CD8E10 LIN bus: communications. all help will be appreciated, I thank you in advance cause I'm losing it over here and my thoughts are getting ugly. I have a hell of a time believing or even trying to wrap my head around my car being down this long? its got to be something with this comfort access phantom ive been reading about?? ive downloaded ISTA but no idea how to actually install it but i do understand ISTA and maybe my car needs updating? at least it needs to be scanned by bmw software and i would love nothing more than to skip going to BMW if possible? its not the money its my pride.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 04:11 AM   #2
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
How many Miles? do you have any prior service records to reference? was the Starter motor checked or ever been tested? No click, no crank, means Starter motor is wearing out, from my Professional experience, and it drains your battery! have you checked your fuses for any of them being blown? Any electrical components in regard have any loose wires or worn? or Torn? sounds like there is a parasitic drain however first If you haven't already, get your starter tested/replaced, then verify if a parasitic drain exists. There are many things that can be done without costing a thing, Inspecting carefully and then planning, To eat an elephant, one must take one bite at a time. as for ISTA, which will help you a lot! I would suggest looking at these Thread for ISTA advice, (I have yet to use and am going to learn soon) There are great people on here, and some here can even send you critical links for the software!

Last edited by ChiltiCoatl89; 10-09-2023 at 04:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 01:33 PM   #3
dammitbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 535ix

it has 114,000 I'm the second owner. I found this thread yesterday and it all makes complete sense to me as far as my car and her bad behavior.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2398842-EWS-3-3-101-Why-your-car-won-t-start-and-why-your-mechanic-and-friends-are-wrong&referrerid=916346[/URL]

I have ISTA & the ENET cable ready to go but I'm so lost as to exactly how to unzip this file so that I can finally get this moody bitch back on the road.
Appreciate 0