2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions New Hella Xenon Headlights

02-05-2023, 01:16 PM   #1
Duzzan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i E91

New Hella Xenon Headlights

First post on this forum after reading for years … I’m not a big forum poster to say the least but I have this one thing I can’t seem to figure out. Probably overthinking it since I can’t find anything on the net or this forum. Anyways, here goes …

So, the right headlight of my 2011 535i finally gave in and the dreaded moisture inside the headlight is a fact. I’ve decided to replace both left and right for OEM Hella’s. There are no errors, everything still working fine. Got the right lamps, did all my due diligence.
Watched countless videos, read through DYI’s and checked TIS. And I think I can do this job myself.
I will need to move the DRL LED’s and blinkers from the old units to the new. I need to heat up the sealant / glue, unscrew and gently pull them off. Now, with the new units there are 3 gaskets. BMW Part Nr 63117268653
For the life of me I can’t figure out how to use those. It says the gaskets are for the DRL and blinkers. Do I remove the current glue / sealant on them and ONLY use these gaskets when fitting them to the new headlights OR do I leave the glue / sealant WITH the new gaskets?!

In all videos they just reuse the already applied stuff and not one mentioned the new gaskets …

Third option is just to have a pro install it I guess.

For fun and reference, I’m from NL and the Dutch dealer quoted me 3000€ to replace both units. I just bought the OEM Hella’s for (both) for 1120€. Threw in a couple of fresh Philips Xtreme Vision V2’s ad these are OEM version of the BMW Power Xenon (D1S) BMW Part Nr 63112338064.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 06:57 AM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

I hope you got this taken care of by now, but for reference of anyone reading this for the first time, the seals of that kit are for swapping the DRL modules under the assembly, and the turn indicator. They are sized according to the opening. You place them on the modules, and you CAREFULLY squeeze them into the housing. Once they are as far as they can REASONABLY go by hand, you bring them even EVENLY with the mounting screws. Part of the seals will squish out and that's okay.