2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Need to do 20 more miles on odometer , but engine fails to start

05-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #23
Trainwreck914
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 F15 E39 E90 E53

Hey I hear both sides...and feel op's pain. He paid for something. And now he cannot use it. I'm sure it was a pretty penny. To be sooooo close yet sooooooo far. These kind of loop holes often exist to keep the fraudulent at bay. But in this scenario I'm sure the op didn't purchase this vehicle with plans for a new engine. Shit happened and now he's s.o.l. And just trying to make due with what he's got. I've been denied on a big claim that I'm still fighting now. Not car insurance. Long story. Anyway insurance is a ripoff to me. Yes IF something happens and it's a big IF for the majority then it can come in handy. But for the most part a lot of people try to avoid going through ins for fears that their rates will go up. So In op defense I feel he's entitled
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #24
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck914 View Post
Hey I hear both sides...and feel op's pain. He paid for something. And now he cannot use it. I'm sure it was a pretty penny. To be sooooo close yet sooooooo far. These kind of loop holes often exist to keep the fraudulent at bay. But in this scenario I'm sure the op didn't purchase this vehicle with plans for a new engine. Shit happened and now he's s.o.l. And just trying to make due with what he's got. I've been denied on a big claim that I'm still fighting now. Not car insurance. Long story. Anyway insurance is a ripoff to me. Yes IF something happens and it's a big IF for the majority then it can come in handy. But for the most part a lot of people try to avoid going through ins for fears that their rates will go up. So In op defense I feel he's entitled
Just because he paid for something doesn't mean he's entitled it if it violates the terms of the agreement. The limitations of the warranty exists to prevent this kind of abuse. If everyone tried this, it would hurt people who have legitimate claims. I feel for OP and it sucks that he's in this situation, but it is what it is. We all play by the same rules.

Insurance is not a rip off. My insurance company paid out close to 16k after an accident with this car. Total additional cost to me is $1200 (400 a year, accident forgiveness after 3 years).
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2020, 06:44 PM   #25
Trainwreck914
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 F15 E39 E90 E53

It's a matter of opinion. The guy did 960 miles. He's 40 miles short of the thousand. But if we were rounding it would be 1000. Whatever happened, I doubt was intentional. If he were 100 miles in. Then I'd say no. He's not entitled. But at 960 that's a different story. I'm not here to argue. The situation is what it is. Which is... it sucks for op right now.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 04:28 PM   #26
whtman58
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535XI, 2015 BMW 550i,

Is there a way to do this? Yes. Just contact any person in your area that happens to do BMW key programming but aren't a registered locksmith. The procedure to change the mileage in the CAS4 is the same basic procedure to programming a new key to the CAS4 only difference is different things be changed in the EEPROM. Or another way would be to find a cluster used on eBay that has few hundred more miles the your car and then wipe the VIN from that cluster BUT NOT the mileage. Anytime you plug in a higher mileage cluster to a BMW at least on the F10 it will overwrite the lower mileage on the CAS4. Example if your car has 100K miles but you find a 102K mile cluster on eBay once you plug that in and power cycle the car a few times. The CAS4 mileage and other modules will have their mileage overwritten to 102K miles. Now is this illegal or insurance fraud? Most definitely! Its up to you if want to do that or not. Just be aware if you get caught you can get it in trouble but the trouble is very little since you're overclocking the mileage not underclocking (reason being when you lower the mileage the car takes some driving to rewrite the new lower mileage to all the new modules, key and etc., while when you increase the mileage its done within a few power cycles.)
Appreciate 1