2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board What's your road rage story?

03-23-2020, 11:11 AM   #45
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I drive like I was supposed to be at my destination 5 minutes ago. At the same time, I also try to be mindful of other drivers around me. If they need to travel faster than I do, let them go. This "just get out of everyone else's way but still light the asphalt on fire" mentality still gets me ramped up on occasion due to lack of attention of other drivers. For this reason ALL of my road rage stories start the same way.....I start my car, shift into drive and release the brake.....road rage ensues, but I never let anyone know.
Appreciate 4
      03-24-2020, 12:30 AM   #46
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i(x) convertible

I hate people changing lanes without using turn signals, I hate people using shoulder to pass traffic and cut in the line right before the shoulder becomes right-turn lane, I hate people using merging lane to pass me on the right, and I hate people inserting themselves abruptly in front of me when I'm maintaining a safe distance in my lane, I don't let them in most of time, but I'm training my patience to try to let people do whatever they want.

Last edited by sinopath; 03-24-2020 at 12:38 AM..
Appreciate 3
      03-24-2020, 12:44 AM   #47
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinopath View Post
I hate people changing lanes without using turn signals
The irony of this
Appreciate 1
TURBO82263.50
      03-24-2020, 06:41 AM   #48
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

A few weeks ago a pedistrian, immersed in his phone, was walking along the opposite side of the intersection and just walked out in front of me on my green light.

I drove up near him and blasted the horn. Scared him pretty bad and pissed him off.

When I lived in Houston I was stopped on a hwy because of traffic and a young guy in front of me was clearly animated giving an old bearded driver next to him hell but it abruptly stopped when the old guy flashed what looked like a Colt 45.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #49
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
I get road rage every time I drive b/c there are so many morons on the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #50
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

You are probably not one of those that drive at the speed limit on the left most lane and think they have a right to be in that lane as they are at the maximum legal speed and are minding their own business.

All the things you point out usually result from slowpokes in the left most lane.
One such dbag results in 30-40 vehicles behind them. Usual result is frustrated people trying to pass from the right and changing lanes without turn signals, using the carpool lane to pass, using the merge lane to pass, and merging between vehicles with dangerously little room. All it takes is for the rude inconsiderate person in the left most lane to move over and let faster vehicles pass, no matter what the speed is.

I seldom wait anymore for the people going slow in the left most lane to move over, just pass them on the right or via the carpool lane (although trying to avoid the latter since sedan-clan advised against it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinopath View Post
I hate people changing lanes without using turn signals, I hate people using shoulder to pass traffic and cut in the line right before the shoulder becomes right-turn lane, I hate people using merging lane to pass me on the right, and I hate people inserting themselves abruptly in front of me when I'm maintaining a safe distance in my lane, I don't let them in most of time, but I'm training my patience to try to let people do whatever they want.
      03-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #51
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i(x) convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesler View Post
You are probably not one of those that drive at the speed limit on the left most lane and think they have a right to be in that lane as they are at the maximum legal speed and are minding their own business.

All the things you point out usually result from slowpokes in the left most lane.
One such dbag results in 30-40 vehicles behind them. Usual result is frustrated people trying to pass from the right and changing lanes without turn signals, using the carpool lane to pass, using the merge lane to pass, and merging between vehicles with dangerously little room. All it takes is for the rude inconsiderate person in the left most lane to move over and let faster vehicles pass, no matter what the speed is.

I seldom wait anymore for the people going slow in the left most lane to move over, just pass them on the right or via the carpool lane (although trying to avoid the latter since sedan-clan advised against it).
Not really, in a single lane city street at rush hour, traffic form a single line, using shoulder to pass the line and cut in at the intersection is not appropriate. At afternoon rush hour when all lanes are packed on a highway, using the merge lane just to get a head a few cars would be annoying too. Again, when all lanes are moving slowly, and someone needs to merge across lanes to use the exit, and he doesn't signal, just keep pushing into you, it's frustrating. I'm referring to these situations.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #52
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I drive like I was supposed to be at my destination 5 minutes ago. At the same time, I also try to be mindful of other drivers around me. If they need to travel faster than I do, let them go. This "just get out of everyone else's way but still light the asphalt on fire" mentality still gets me ramped up on occasion due to lack of attention of other drivers.
Similar to me.

The difference between me and 98% of the population is that when I'm driving, I'm just driving, I'm not talking on my phone, or eating, or fucking off in any way. I'm driving. And I do it well.

So paying attention and being skilled in this country will get you into rage city, and I've been there, many, many times. I try not to let the average idiot driver get me riled up, but it still happens on occasion.

One phrase: JUST GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY.

Not sure how that's so hard for people to understand.
Appreciate 4
gatorfast4969.00
King Rudi13152.00
cmyx6go15561.50
MKSixer34171.50
      06-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #53
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe

Went for a ride down the coast this morning and have noticed an influx of road rage and all-around poor driving lately. Apparently, people were quarantined too long and forgot how to drive?

Witnessed two accidents during my 2 hour drive and countless close calls.

Anyone else noticing a spike in poor driving?
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15561.50
MKSixer34171.50
      06-13-2020, 07:10 PM   #54
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I do my best not to get involved with bad drivers, it never ends well. My pet peeve is when people on the interstate speed up and slowdown, usually in the left most lane and when there are plenty of others on the road. I also do a slow burn when there is a merge lane to another interstate and people don't merge till the last second in order to cut the line. I drive a manual transmission vehicle and consider it a skill which requires one's full attention.

Despite the law, people seem to be busy with cellphones, eating, drinking and applying make up. Some may brag that they haven't been in an accident in years, I wonder how many accidents they caused without knowing it.
      06-14-2020, 07:57 AM   #55
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I rarely ever engage other people or get road rage. I commute 100 miles a day and have pretty much seen it all, I will sometimes mutter a "really?" or "really asshole?" under my breath but besides that I'll stay pretty calm.

There was one time that I engaged someone. I was at a stop light at a fairly busy intersection just outside the college campus I live near. Perpendicular to where I was stopped there is a fairly large hill. The light turns green, but I can see an 18 wheeler coming down the hill at decent speed. I hesitate to proceed through the green because he didn't look like he was slowing down. Sure enough he goes through what had already been several seconds of green light on my side, to go across traffic and turn onto the road I'm coming off of. As he went across I just laid on the horn and yelled "WHAT THE FUCK" out the window. Guy stops the truck IN the intersection, blocking all of traffic now, and gets out of the truck. I was like "dude you could've killed someone, I have it all on camera (pointing to my dash cam), I have the name and number on the side of your truck, now get the fuck back in your truck. Professional driver, my ass!" Once I pointed at the camera the guy jumped back in his truck and drove away. Luckily the lane next to me was a turning lane and they had not started going yet when the truck started through the intersection. People like that should have their CDLs taken away.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 4
Rmtt8206.00
cmyx6go15561.50
MKSixer34171.50
      06-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #56
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Similar to me.

The difference between me and 98% of the population is that when I'm driving, I'm just driving, I'm not talking on my phone, or eating, or fucking off in any way. I'm driving. And I do it well.

So paying attention and being skilled in this country will get you into rage city, and I've been there, many, many times. I try not to let the average idiot driver get me riled up, but it still happens on occasion.

One phrase: JUST GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY.

Not sure how that's so hard for people to understand.
I don't think I could have posted a better representation of my mindset.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      06-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #57
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I once saw a guy tailgating and honking and waving his arm at the car in front of him. When both cars stopped at a traffic light he jumped out of his car and angrily headed for the one in front of him. Then his car started rolling away all by itself, driver's door hanging open, engine running. My light turned green so I'll never know if he caught up to it in time.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #58
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
Went for a ride down the coast this morning and have noticed an influx of road rage and all-around poor driving lately. Apparently, people were quarantined too long and forgot how to drive?

Witnessed two accidents during my 2 hour drive and countless close calls.

Anyone else noticing a spike in poor driving?
I've been working through the lockdown. Although the number of cars on the road was greatly reduced, the number of morons greatly increased. The roads were like the wild west. Complete lawlessness. Due to the reduced traffic, the speed on the highways skyrocketed. It's not often people blow past me. I can't even begin to count the people blowing dead red lights.

Fast forward, as things are beginning to open up and traffic is increasing, it is chaos. Those that got used to the empty roadways are now dealing with traffic again and aren't happy about it.

May I add that I find a direct correlation between people driving alone wearing masks and clueless driving. I think the mask might cut the air supply to the brain.

Be safe out there.
Dang3r12503.00
      06-16-2020, 08:26 AM   #59
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I've been working through the lockdown. Although the number of cars on the road was greatly reduced, the number of morons greatly increased. The roads were like the wild west. Complete lawlessness. Due to the reduced traffic, the speed on the highways skyrocketed. It's not often people blow past me. I can't even begin to count the people blowing dead red lights.

Fast forward, as things are beginning to open up and traffic is increasing, it is chaos. Those that got used to the empty roadways are now dealing with traffic again and aren't happy about it.

May I add that I find a direct correlation between people driving alone wearing masks and clueless driving. I think the mask might cut the air supply to the brain.

Be safe out there.
Oh it's crazy out there. There is a section of 2 lane highway on my way to work I've nicknamed "the new england autobahn" because there are very few cops on it. With sections of ledge and rock on either side, there are hardly any spots for them to sit and do radar. If I'm running late, I'll do 85-90. Although usually I'll just set the cruise at 80. Today I was running a bit late, and people were blowing past me like I was standing still.

Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15561.50
MKSixer34171.50
      06-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #60
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Oh it's crazy out there. There is a section of 2 lane highway on my way to work I've nicknamed "the new england autobahn" because there are very few cops on it. With sections of ledge and rock on either side, there are hardly any spots for them to sit and do radar. If I'm running late, I'll do 85-90. Although usually I'll just set the cruise at 80. Today I was running a bit late, and people were blowing past me like I was standing still.
The Merritt? They drive like lunatics.... I don't know how anyone merges on that road unless they have 500 hp. Those damn entrance ramps, that don't have any running room on curves on the far side of stone overpasses.

It is a nice road to drive when no one is on it.
wdb4673.00
      06-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #61
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The Merritt? They drive like lunatics.... I don't know how anyone merges on that road unless they have 500 hp. Those damn entrance ramps, that don't have any running room on curves on the far side of stone overpasses.

It is a nice road to drive when no one is on it.
No this is a real quiet 2 lane highway going towards SouthEast CT by the shoreline. I hate the Merritt with a passion, that road is just a disaster.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #62
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I'm kind of dreading driving in Nashville, it seems to be the center of stupid driver universe. Years ago, I was sitting at a traffic light on Wedgewood at Hillsboro Road when the light changed to green and someone in the left hand turn lane gunned it and turned right. I've only seen this one other time in Atlanta driving north on Peachtree Road...
      06-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #63
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:

Be safe out there.

Yeah tell me about it. I mean, I admit I'm guilty of increasing my speed too, but I'm still aware while driving.

A few nights ago I left the office at midnight or so and was sitting at the light by my office to make a left (red light for me). Just watching the cars come down the hill on my left side, I see their light go yellow, so I watch most of them slow down.

Except for one. Who slowed down...my light turns green, but I've still got my eye on him, and sure enough, he could easily stop, but decides to just keep moving on slowly through the intersection and make a left. Had I not been watching, he would have T-boned me for sure.

So I moved out a little into him, while leaning on the horn the whole time he's executing this masterful move, hoping to scare him a little. Not sure if it had the desired effect, but maybe he'll be more careful next time.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 12:23 PM   #64
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
I was much younger , maybe 20 at the time and I had a road rage incident. Some guy kept cutting me off. We were on the parkway and he kept going in front of me and brake checking me, probably because he was just mad at life. So I was getting frustrated and I switched lanes multiple times to try and get around the guy but between the other cars on the road and him I had no room to accelerate across two lanes to try and get around him.

So after the 6th time of this guy doing this I was really pissed and I noticed his window was half open. I had a taco bell cup full of baja blast and when I was finally able to switch lanes and get around him I chucked it at his car and I watched it hit the top half of the window as the top popped off and just poured inside his car. It felt good at the time but in hindsight I should have just let it go but I was young and ya know, dumb.

Fortunately that was the end of it and I wasn't followed home and beaten and/or shot at. I used to drive 35k miles a year just for work and another 10-12k in my personal car so I've been on the road for coutnless days. I've had plenty of other instances, at least 10 over the years but I always just let it go and say it's not worth getting into.

You never know what kind of day someones having and I don't want to be the person they snap on.
      06-17-2020, 05:45 AM   #65
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
I was much younger , maybe 20 at the time and I had a road rage incident. Some guy kept cutting me off. We were on the parkway and he kept going in front of me and brake checking me, probably because he was just mad at life. So I was getting frustrated and I switched lanes multiple times to try and get around the guy but between the other cars on the road and him I had no room to accelerate across two lanes to try and get around him.

So after the 6th time of this guy doing this I was really pissed and I noticed his window was half open. I had a taco bell cup full of baja blast and when I was finally able to switch lanes and get around him I chucked it at his car and I watched it hit the top half of the window as the top popped off and just poured inside his car. It felt good at the time but in hindsight I should have just let it go but I was young and ya know, dumb.

Fortunately that was the end of it and I wasn't followed home and beaten and/or shot at. I used to drive 35k miles a year just for work and another 10-12k in my personal car so I've been on the road for coutnless days. I've had plenty of other instances, at least 10 over the years but I always just let it go and say it's not worth getting into.

You never know what kind of day someones having and I don't want to be the person they snap on.
Hahaha he got what he deserved
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #66
Kitzhabersucks
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi 2017 X3 35i

I live in close proximity, and work in a resort community.
People come hear to enjoy the skiing in the Winter, as well as the fishing and hunting and whatever Summer activity you can imagine.
HOWEVER:
It's those same people who bring their day-to-day anxiety and lack of patience to our normally quiet streets that frustrate me.
This Covid lockdown has allowed us here to breathe a short sigh of relief as we go about our lives with little influence from the outside world....for now.
Appreciate 0