2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Anyone have similar issue or normal?

04-06-2020, 11:39 PM   #1
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Anyone have similar issue or normal?

2011 535i xdrive is at 101k miles, ive noticed when my car is cold first gear normally revs to 2k sits there for a bit then shifts in the morning. When warm never happens. Does this sound like a slipping transmission? I changed my pan and fluid recently not flushed, it seemed to go away for a day or so then came back. After 1st gear it shifts completely fine no issue's at all no warnings or anything.

Also another question, will xhpflash help small issues like this? I hear there was an update to the transmission but not sure if i have had it done.

Also when I changed the fluid and pan I noticed dusting of metal on the magnets and filter was a bit dark, fluid looked fine no shavings seen. First time that I know the fluid has been changed. Shifting after 1st seems way smoother 2-8 with fluid changed.

So just wanting to know if this is normal for cold starting, and if xhp can resolve this or will I need an update.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I'm a 6MT but just logically thinking through this with you here... If I were you why not upgrade? You get the benefit of the upgrade itself, and you are eliminating any software issues that might be present on your older 2011 platform.

Just from a problem solving and the methodical process of elimination, I'd upgrade: The worst you'll get out of it is a nice tranny tune and know that it's not a software issue - and the best you'll get out of it is a nice tranny tune AND your problem will be fixed!

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja430.50
      04-07-2020, 08:15 PM   #3
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
I'm a 6MT but just logically thinking through this with you here... If I were you why not upgrade? You get the benefit of the upgrade itself, and you are eliminating any software issues that might be present on your older 2011 platform.

Just from a problem solving and the methodical process of elimination, I'd upgrade: The worst you'll get out of it is a nice tranny tune and know that it's not a software issue - and the best you'll get out of it is a nice tranny tune AND your problem will be fixed!
Yeah makes me wonder if its just line pressure when the fluid isnt up to operating temp, cause when its warm doesnt shift harsh park to drive and taking off first gear shift is normally the small issue when cold revs to 2,000. I hit the throttle a tad more today and it went max of maybe 2100rpm and it shifted. I will do the tune asap and tell findings.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:59 PM   #4
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrNinja View Post
Yeah makes me wonder if its just line pressure when the fluid isnt up to operating temp, cause when its warm doesnt shift harsh park to drive and taking off first gear shift is normally the small issue when cold revs to 2,000. I hit the throttle a tad more today and it went max of maybe 2100rpm and it shifted. I will do the tune asap and tell findings.
I have been having this issue for the last 3 years lol.... Still running strong even after over a year with pure stage 2. In summer it completely goes away, and only happens once when I first switch to drive. After that if is fine.

I would say I have similar issue but I don't remember it getting stuck at 2000rpm. It's like I get a big jerk before gear shifts then it is all fine.
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja430.50
      04-07-2020, 10:22 PM   #5
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
I have been having this issue for the last 3 years lol.... Still running strong even after over a year with pure stage 2. In summer it completely goes away, and only happens once when I first switch to drive. After that if is fine.

I would say I have similar issue but I don't remember it getting stuck at 2000rpm. It's like I get a big jerk before gear shifts then it is all fine.
2k is usually the hotpoint it wants to shift at, it feels like it jerks hard after cold start from drive to next gear. Every gear after is silky smooth since the fluid change. Glad Im not the only one having this problem.
Appreciate 0