2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions F10 LED Cornering light Upgrade retrofit

03-09-2020, 10:57 PM   #89
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 535i 13 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlymc View Post
This was a fun read. For those who are actually still interested in this and not pointless internet trolling...

1) I found the easier way to get the locking bulb harness in place is to slip one hand in with your palm facing you, then slip the other hand directly in front of it with the back of your second hand against the palm of your first. Use your index finger to apply pressure against one of the locking tabs and the other index finger against the other tab.

2) there’s no way to code out the flicker. You need to buy a resistor 6ohms or an adapter like this one
HIKARI Pair LED Conversion Kit Headlight Canbus Error Free Anti Flickering Resistor Decoder - H7 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07688V7V9..._xkDzEbS69WJKS

3) you may have to code out the malfunction light depending on the led you installed. This shouldn’t be a problem because the warm and cold monitoring is for halogen lights. Code the cold and warm monitoring for high beams to inactive. The high beams on the f10 represent the cornering lights because of the light wells location being standard high beams on older models. Yes the actual high beams are in the same outer well as the xenons.
As long as you code out the bulb voltage monitoring it will turn off the flicker.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 01:42 PM   #90
Grizzlymc
The Hibernator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmit2017 View Post
As long as you code out the bulb voltage monitoring it will turn off the flicker.
Not true. The flicker is a byproduct of the ECU attempting to apply increasing voltage to the LED for a slow-on affect. At least in my f10 pre-Lci 550i, even coding out the voltage monitoring still resulted in flickering. It went away with resistors. It also is possibly the bulbs I had installed, but I ordered a new set just to check.
Appreciate 1
John H.221.00
      03-11-2020, 04:50 PM   #91
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Not true. The flicker is a byproduct of the ECU attempting to apply increasing voltage to the LED for a slow-on affect. At least in my f10 pre-Lci 550i, even coding out the voltage monitoring still resulted in flickering. It went away with resistors. It also is possibly the bulbs I had installed, but I ordered a new set just to check.
Code out the slow on then.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 07:32 PM   #92
Grizzlymc
The Hibernator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Code out the slow on then.
If only I spoke German. Also the coding properties and keys aren’t obvious. For example the cornering light values are tied to a property for the “high beams” just because it fits in the housing where highbeams are usually located. If you figure it out let me know.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 09:04 AM   #93
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
If only I spoke German. Also the coding properties and keys aren’t obvious. For example the cornering light values are tied to a property for the “high beams” just because it fits in the housing where highbeams are usually located. If you figure it out let me know.
Just to clarify, are you trying to clear out the flicker on every one, or just when you first open the car (aka welcome lights)? I assumed you were talking about welcome lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 07:57 PM   #94
BMWKing123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 800+ HP C7 Z06, 550i M, M998

Great thread. Thank you for all the info!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 06:33 AM   #95
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Hi guys I have installed LED lights and a resistor. Unfortunately, the LEDs still flicker when they are turned on, since it's getting a PWM signal (not just when unlocking, but every time the bulb turns on i.e. every time I'm turning). This results in a short flash in the beginning.

I have just simple resistors installed and it looks like there is no electronics. Is there a difference between resistors and decoders? Any way to get this fixed? It is rather annoying and I guess for people driving in front of me even more so. I do have coded the warm/cold check, but that doesn't change anything (didn't expect it to change something).

AUSG_09_FL_L_IS_LED
Nicht_aktiv -> Aktiv

Does this coding change anything? Have not tried that out yet.

Also, do you guys know a reliable way to activate the cornering light for testing? It doesn't turn on when it is not dark, even if I manually turn on the lights.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 01:27 AM   #96
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 535i 13 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
Hi guys I have installed LED lights and a resistor. Unfortunately, the LEDs still flicker when they are turned on, since it's getting a PWM signal (not just when unlocking, but every time the bulb turns on i.e. every time I'm turning). This results in a short flash in the beginning.

I have just simple resistors installed and it looks like there is no electronics. Is there a difference between resistors and decoders? Any way to get this fixed? It is rather annoying and I guess for people driving in front of me even more so. I do have coded the warm/cold check, but that doesn't change anything (didn't expect it to change something).

AUSG_09_FL_L_IS_LED
Nicht_aktiv -> Aktiv

Does this coding change anything? Have not tried that out yet.

Also, do you guys know a reliable way to activate the cornering light for testing? It doesn't turn on when it is not dark, even if I manually turn on the lights.
When you put the car in reverse with the lights on the cornering lights should both turn on. Code off the bulb check for high beam- there is no high beam bulb as it's a bi-xenon bulb- in the coding system the cornering light is in there as the high beam because it's in the place where a traditional high beam bulb would go. Look further into the thread I've explained it a few times
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #97
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
When you put the car in reverse with the lights on the cornering lights should both turn on.
Ahhh, I have to try that one. I know it will turn on one of the turning lights if you go in reverse, but I thought it's the same as the normal tuning lights and only works in the dark.
Edit: just tried that it seems like it's a US only thing. For me only the one opposite of the direction of turn in is lighting up and also only when it's dark.

Quote:
Code off the bulb check for high beam- there is no high beam bulb as it's a bi-xenon bulb- in the coding system the cornering light is in there as the high beam because it's in the place where a traditional high beam bulb would go. Look further into the thread I've explained it a few times
I read all the posts here and as I mentioned I coded the checks out when I installed the LEDs. It flickered so I thought maybe the can bus adapters will fix that (I thought they were more than just a simple resistor....), but the turning lights still flicker. What is supposed to happen is a slow increase of the brightness, but mine flash on full brightness very briefly and then do the slow increase part. It happens every time the tuning light turns on and it's a bit annoying.That's why I asked if changing that setting to LED might change that. Haven't had time to code it till now, so I didn't try it out yet.

Last edited by Flamingi; 08-28-2020 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 10:19 PM   #98
vecev
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Quote:
That is because the LEDs that you used already had a canbus. You just disabled the voltage monitoring and it worked.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #99
Dragoss91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10

Mine flickers once everytime I put signal or steer, I added 6ohm resistor in parallel and the error is gone but the flicker is still there. Should I put the resistor in series ?

Added video, the first flicker at 0:01 is the one I want to fix

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 09:01 AM   #100
gizmofreak
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Latest Hikari H7’s making install easier

Got these off Amazon: HIKARI 2021 Acme-X H7 LED Bulbs, Ultra Brightness, Wider Driving Vision, All-in-One 1:1 Design, Halogen bulb Replacement, 6K Cool White IP68 Foglight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S34H8L9...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Very compact with built-in driver. Makes fitment straightforward. Very bright as well but focused beam at correct height. Matches halo ring well. Installed h7 adapter and h7 mounting ring by using blue painters tape to temporarily hold them together.

No errors. Did some re-coding later to see if that would change “instant on” behavior but no difference - ie. select LED fir the cornering light.

Lights do not come on gradually like halogens but that is a compromise. Pics attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 07:37 AM   #101
czerny
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xd Stage 1 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
What is supposed to happen is a slow increase of the brightness, but mine flash on full brightness very briefly and then do the slow increase part. It happens every time the tuning light turns on and it's a bit annoying.That's why I asked if changing that setting to LED might change that. Haven't had time to code it till now, so I didn't try it out yet.
I was investigating this issue for a long time but finally managed to find a resolutinon. In FRM -->3090 find somthing like AUSG.....FL....VORGLUEHEN and set to not active. Hope someone finds it helpful.

Of course you would have to set other positions in this section (FL) first - KALTUEBERWACHUNG and WARMUEBERWACHUNG - not active and IS_LED - active, in order to get your led high beam functioning properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 02:31 PM   #102
jackysi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d xDrive F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by czerny View Post
I was investigating this issue for a long time but finally managed to find a resolutinon. In FRM -->3090 find somthing like AUSG.....FL....VORGLUEHEN and set to not active. Hope someone finds it helpful.

Of course you would have to set other positions in this section (FL) first - KALTUEBERWACHUNG and WARMUEBERWACHUNG - not active and IS_LED - active, in order to get your led high beam functioning properly.
You are a live saver!!! That worked... First I was messing with E-sys but no go (I don't have correct psz data so I cannot see function names) but in bimmercode I was able to code it out for both sides, now no flickers!!! Thank you!
Appreciate 0