2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Error Code with new steering wheel

03-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #1
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Error Code with new steering wheel

Hi guys and gals,

I recently replaced the steering wheel in my 2016 F10 with an M-Sport Steering wheel (with dual-stage USA airbag). It is a direct swap, meaning that the button configuration is exactly the same as on my old steering wheel, and yes my old wheel also had paddles.

All the buttons and paddles work perfectly.

However, running a Carly diagnostic gives me the following error:

Code:
Steering Column Switch Cluster

Fault code: 030411 Multifunction steering wheel (MFL): wrong variant
I have searched various forums and the only information that I can find is a few threads where people want to activate or deactivate the LIM function/button after getting a new steering wheel. I don't have that button (nor the function afaik) because the old steering wheel didn't either.

I'm fairly comfortable at FDL and VO coding using either Bimmercode or E-Sys, IF I know what to look for. Does anyone have any insight on how to code out this error?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

According to the vin decoder site, my original steering wheel option is listed as option S255A.

Am I correct in assuming that to fix the issue mentioned above I will need to VO code for the correct option code of that M-sport steering wheel?

If so, does anyone know the right code for that particular steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 07:35 PM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I put a sport steering (not M-Sport) wheel with paddles on my 2012 and coded the SAT. It's been to the dealer multiple times since (routine maintenance) and my SA has ever mentioned a problem with the delivered options and my updated options. I've never run a scan so don't know if the change would display.

Personally, I wouldn't worry as it's just a "procedural" error.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 11:20 PM   #4
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

S710A is the VO code you'll want. Just VO code the SZL I believe. Or don't, it's just a warning tbh
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 11:36 PM   #5
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
S710A is the VO code you'll want. Just VO code the SZL I believe. Or don't, it's just a warning tbh
Thanks. But as I was just posting on another site, VO coding 710 didn't get rid of the error for me. To be clear, the only ECU I coded after changing VO was SZL.

I was almost positive 710 was the correct code too, but now I don't know if it wasn't, or I just didn't code all the necessary ECUs.

I ended up just making this change to SZL via FDL coding, as per the advice of someone on the other forum. This got rid of the error, albeit not as elegantly (in my OCD head):

Code:
LIN_VARIANTE_MFL = invalid
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 11:51 PM   #6
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvntHrzn View Post
Thanks. But as I was just posting on another site, VO coding 710 didn't get rid of the error for me. To be clear, the only ECU I coded after changing VO was SZL.

I was almost positive 710 was the correct code too, but now I don't know if it wasn't, or I just didn't code all the necessary ECUs.

I ended up just making this change to SZL via FDL coding, as per the advice of someone on the other forum. This got rid of the error, albeit not as elegantly (in my OCD head):

Code:
LIN_VARIANTE_MFL = invalid
And just to be clear, you have 2TB right? Not 2TE?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 12:13 AM   #7
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And just to be clear, you have 2TB right? Not 2TE?
Correct, 2TB "Sport Automatic Transmission", not a hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 01:54 AM   #8
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

I have a 2016 535i x drive base model and i just replaced my steering wheel with the same m sport wheel and have the airbag malfunction light on. Is advanced coding the only way to get this taken care of? Bimmercode wont clear the code?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:05 AM   #9
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJV3 View Post
I have a 2016 535i x drive base model and i just replaced my steering wheel with the same m sport wheel and have the airbag malfunction light on. Is advanced coding the only way to get this taken care of? Bimmercode wont clear the code?
You can try first with Bimmercode. ISTA+ should be able to clear it.

Not sure why you didn't pull the battery when doing this.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 12:23 AM   #10
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You can try first with Bimmercode. ISTA+ should be able to clear it.

Not sure why you didn't pull the battery when doing this.
OK did further troubleshooting after a coder on the forums troubleshoot my issue. It came down to what we believe is the wire harness on the new airbag. Only after the old airbag was placed in dis the light turn off. But I really like the look and feel of the new wheel. The air bag light ended up coming back on with the old steering wheel after I noticed the airbag felt a bit ajar from the locking mechanism. So swapped back the new wheel and air bag. I'm determined to get the new air bag to work and I really don't want to go the dealer route. I contacted seller also to see if I can replace the airbag on the new wheel. Will keep you posted as things progress.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #11
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
OK did further troubleshooting after a coder on the forums troubleshoot my issue. It came down to what we believe is the wire harness on the new airbag. Only after the old airbag was placed in dis the light turn off. But I really like the look and feel of the new wheel. The air bag light ended up coming back on with the old steering wheel after I noticed the airbag felt a bit ajar from the locking mechanism. So swapped back the new wheel and air bag. I'm determined to get the new air bag to work and I really don't want to go the dealer route. I contacted seller also to see if I can replace the airbag on the new wheel. Will keep you posted as things progress.
You're pulling the battery when doing this right? Did you try scanning for codes at all when the light was on?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 10:08 AM   #12
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

I did not pull the battery when this was installed. But as previous post, the light went off when i put back the old airbag, then back on with new steering wheel. i went to put back on the old one again. It was off for a moment but then came back on. so i just left the new steering wheel with new airbag in. But I believe the issue is the air bag.
The coder i used had scanned fort errors and did not find any errors on his side. Its odd.

I saw another thread where another member had the same issue. The airbag that came with his wheel looks the same as what I have and why I believe the issue is the airbag. Here's a pic if the airbag that came with the wheel. Am I missing a connector for this dual stage airbag?
Attached Images

Last edited by RJV3; 05-13-2020 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #13
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I did not pull the battery when this was installed. But as previous post, the light went off when i put back the old airbag, then back on with new steering wheel. i went to put back on the old one again. It was off for a moment but then came back on. so i just left the new steering wheel with new airbag in. But I believe the issue is the air bag.
The coder i used had scanned fort errors and did not find any errors on his side. Its odd.

I saw another thread where another member had the same issue. The airbag that came with his wheel looks the same as what I have and why I believe the issue is the airbag. Here's a pic if the airbag that came with the wheel. Am I missing a connector for this dual stage airbag?
The issue isn't the airbag. Pull the battery whenever you mess with airbags to avoid the light. There's a reason every single proper steering wheel retrofit guide says to pull the battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #14
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The issue isn't the airbag. Pull the battery whenever you mess with airbags to avoid the light. There's a reason every single proper steering wheel retrofit guide says to pull the battery.
Battery was disconnected last night but car still showing the code.

I'll disconnect it again and try again. But based on the above, there nothing wrong with the airbag? It doesn't need that third blue connector?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 04:24 PM   #15
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Battery was disconnected last night but car still showing the code.

I'll disconnect it again and try again. But based on the above, there nothing wrong with the airbag? It doesn't need that third blue connector?
Ah I totally missed that part. Yea, contact whoever you bought this off of. There's no reason it should be missing that blue plug. The blue plug controls how fast the airbag inflates IIRC, so definitely will set off a light. I read your question as "is it supposed to be missing a blue wire" lol
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #16
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah I totally missed that part. Yea, contact whoever you bought this off of. There's no reason it should be missing that blue plug. The blue plug controls how fast the airbag inflates IIRC, so definitely will set off a light. I read your question as "is it supposed to be missing a blue wire" lol
Got it. Heading over to realoem.com and plugging in my vehicle info and looking at the m sport wheels, the airbag I need is part number 32308092724 which supercedes 32307845978.

I have been trying to contact the Lithuanian seller but have not yet gotten a response yet.

any good spots where I can get this airbag for less than the $1094.27n the dealer wants to charge me?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #17
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Got it. Heading over to realoem.com and plugging in my vehicle info and looking at the m sport wheels, the airbag I need is part number 32308092724 which supercedes 32307845978.

I have been trying to contact the Lithuanian seller but have not yet gotten a response yet.

any good spots where I can get this airbag for less than the $1094.27n the dealer wants to charge me?
eBay or FCP Euro
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 08:08 PM   #18
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Went the ebay route and double checked the part numbers. Hopefully this one works. Keep you guys posted in a couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 09:35 PM   #19
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I have been trying to contact the Lithuanian seller but have not yet gotten a response yet. ...
There's your problem. European airbags are single stage, ours are dual stage. The seller won't be able to help you. Here is what I had to go theough when replacing my steering wheel with one from Lithuania:

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthr...ing+wheel+swap
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 11:31 PM   #20
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
There's your problem. European airbags are single stage, ours are dual stage. The seller won't be able to help you. Here is what I had to go through when replacing my steering wheel with one from Lithuania:

The airbag that came with it is dual stage but missing the third blue connector.
I was able to get into contact with the seller but he does not have the airbag I require in stock. So I ended up buying another airbag from another ebay seller. I'll probably just resell the airbag that came with the msport wheel on ebay to recoup some losses.

I also ran across that post you hyperlinked, but I wasn't comfortable disassembling the airbags.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 11:41 PM   #21
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
There's your problem. European airbags are single stage, ours are dual stage. The seller won't be able to help you. Here is what I had to go theough when replacing my steering wheel with one from Lithuania:

A lot of the European sellers actually do sell dual stage. If you check the picture he sent, his airbag has 2 plugs, meaning it is dual stage.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 12:41 PM   #22
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A lot of the European sellers actually do sell dual stage. If you check the picture he sent, his airbag has 2 plugs, meaning it is dual stage.
I saw that, but without the blue connection (and "extra" ground wire) doesn't it operate as a single stage? That harness is also missing some wires:

Appreciate 0