2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Bm3 question

03-29-2020, 02:17 AM   #1
sweettalker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Vrooom

Bm3 question

Please help. Advice needed.
I saw a new updated map 5.0 for my f10 2012 535 n55. Mine was 4.1 (or 4.2 i forget but we will say 4.1 for now) version. So i flashed it to new 5.0 version because it said burbles have been updated to work when u make adjustments and better boost etc. On burbles I put agg highest possible with duration longest possible. It is quieter than my 4.1 map. What gives? Itried oem and custom all sound the same. I reflashed back to 4.1 map and it has some burbles while decelerating but still zero burbles when i rev in neutral or parked.

Also car runs like shit without cold start. when i first start the car in the morning and start driving (without coldstart) it bogs and hesitates and jerks. so in order to remedy this im forced to sit in the car for few min acting like im warming up the car. After doing this when i drive it runs fine. But why would the car hesistate and bog when i go from park to reverse or drive when i cold start? Im thinking reflashing back to my 4.1 map.

Also car doesnt run any different and feels like my previous map was running better and stronger.

What gives? Any inout will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 07:31 AM   #2
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

In my experience, if you set most features to OEM, the car runs a lot better. I don't bother with nonsense stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #3
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Contact BM3 support, they're very helpful and responsive.

On a personal opinion note, setting AGG to max and duration to max is obnoxious as all hell and screams "I'm compensating for something", but to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 12:51 AM   #5
sweettalker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post

On a personal opinion note, setting AGG to max and duration to max is obnoxious as all hell and screams "I'm compensating for something", but to each their own.
Im not about that burble life but i just wanted to see how it sounds.
I put it on max for experimental purposes and it made 0 difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 06:38 AM   #6
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

I don't have BM3, I have MHD, so I cannot comment on any 4.1 vs 5.0 map questions. I also have PWG so that might change things.

I run burbles in the summer, but like 0.1-0.2s of OEM style (the least aggressive - I think the code used in the MPPK was used for the OEM style burbles).

First - they're pretty much inaudible unless you have an aftermarket exhaust. I only run what I run in the summer when I have MPE installed. I go back to factory exhaust in the winter. I don't need the MPE drone all winter when I'm gently tippy-toeing about with the windows up and my winter tires on.

Second - I've read lots of accounts of bugs or issues relating to Normal, Sport, Sport+ and burbles. Have you tried all modes? I don't have a DEC switch (which frankly causes a few issues itself) so I have no direct experience.

On cold start noise reduction - MHD's does affect driveability in the first 30-60 seconds. I've also heard from people who have no problems at all, but then maybe they're the kind that sit and warm they're car up for a few minutes without moving.

For me it starts and idles fine. When I put it in gear it's also fine. You can tell, though, that maintaining a good idle is more challenging with the normal cold start program defeated.

When I start inching forward out of my garage that's when the trouble starts. On my car, at least, the Neutral Idle Control function which controls how engaged the torque convertor is a little grabby when creeping forward, especially when cold. This challenges the more delicate balance of maintaining an idle and sometimes it nearly stalls.

If I'm leaving my commuter train lot at the end of the day and I can just pull away I don't really have many issues. It's not as responsive and if I get into stop-and-go, inching forward in lineups at stop signs etc... instead of just being able to drive away I'll run into issues again.

When interacting with people about my cold start observations, I got a response similar to "the factory cold start program is there for a reason, why are you surprised when it runs like &^%( when it is disabled?". I suppose that's true to some extent, although I thought the reasons it existed was purely to light up the cats quicker, not to keep running.

I run quiet cold start in warm months so that my MPE garage startup doesn't bother neighbours when I leave at 6am. I wish there was some in between.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #7
MatthewLC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

I had the same issue with the burbles with this updated map, open a ticket with PTF to let them know. What I found that worked was to switch between the "AGG" and "Standard" maps (ex. Stage 2 vs Stage 2 AGG), try the slider settings and see which ones works.

I can't remember which map I ended up selecting as I reflashed my car when v5 first came out a couple of months ago but I found when trying these updated maps that the slider only worked in one version of the map and not the other. I let PTF know when they first released the update but it doesn't seem like they fixed the issue.

The sliders are now working as they were able to define the burble tables in the rom file. This is due to them having access to a MPP tune for the early F10. BTW - They've also added this a free map as part of the update that you can flash your car with and also explore.

With v5, it didn't feel like the car was any faster but the power delivery seemed more consistent and overall the car drove much smoother. Strange that you're having the opposite experience?

I've had cold start turned off since I put a catless downpipe on my car as the wastegate rattle it caused made the car sound terrible. I've been fortunate as I never had weird idle issues with it disabled, even in the winter months. I've read multiple times on the forums that people have issues with it removed but it seems to be hit or miss? I did notice that with the V5 update cold start is still enabled when it's super cold (Below -5C or so), when it previous versions it was always off. I feel like they did that to try to help the drivability in certain situations.

Edit: Just double checked, I flashed my car with Stage 2 "AGG" and the burble sliders work. Also, in the V5 update cat heating is disabled by default (at least on Stage 2 maps), so there is no need to select that option. Maybe try setting cat heating back to "OEM", reflash and see if it fixed the problem?

Last edited by MatthewLC; 04-01-2020 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0