2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications What do you guys think? Painted Interior

04-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
What do you guys think? Painted Interior

These two pieces were flaking on me so I sanded them down and painted them. I did automotive paint and sprayed them, 3 base coats and 2 clear coats. They turned out OK but I'm still not 100% convinced. It matches the exterior well and I could even wax them! lol. And since they were black before I thought it wouldn't be as "ricey" as doing them like yellow or red or something obnoxious.

LMK what you think, it's just the trim below the steering wheel and the surround on the parking brake. I was thinking of doing the whole area around the shifter in the center console cause it's starting to flake too...

And yes, I need to glue down my suede steering wheel cover in places... that's on the list. BTW the suede is actually holding up quite nicely, even after constantly getting disinfectant on it every time I get back to my car LOL
Attached Images

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 11:35 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

i think it turned out well but the steering wheel part really stands out from the rest of your interior unless it's just the lighting since the surround on the parking brake looks fine to me. before i finished reading your post i was glancing over the whole interior trying to see what you painted and the steering is what stood out the most but than again i might just be the lighting? here's what i'm going to do with mine. order a carbon fiber overlay and also these cf steering wheel button frames to compliment it. hopefully it turns out fine

i can attest to my alcantara which is kinda like suede or maybe it's the same thing? it's been a few years and it still looks brand spankin' new!

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:41 AM   #3
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

The steering wheel trim looks really out of place. Otherwise, not bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #4
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I agree, I think it pops too hard. I am going to leave it as is before I make my final call. Maybe I'll do a matte black - but either way those parts were shot so I thought I'd give it a try. I already have the button surrounds and I went with chrome only because I already have a lot of stock chrome bits in the cab. Plus it's hard to find real CF parts for a decent price. It's either go OEM which is super expensive if they were available or buy stuff on ebay and hope it is not just printed plastic - which already happened to me. I'm going to look into wrapping my on CF pieces and doing the epoxy coating myself... if you want something done right.... do it yourself!

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i think it turned out well but the steering wheel part really stands out from the rest of your interior...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
The steering wheel trim looks really out of place. Otherwise, not bad.
I agree. Maybe flat or matte black would blend better.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 09:40 PM   #6
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
OK here it is in flat black - I couldn't find a true automotive flat black, granted I didn't look too hard, so I rattle canned it but I think it turned out better. It's part of the updates I did in this video here:

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 1