2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Air Conditioning/CEL

05-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
phennighausen
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, BMW E90 328i

Exclamation Air Conditioning/CEL

Hi All,

I had a rather weird issue occur today. As I was getting ready to leave work today I used the ConnectedDrive App to "precondition" the car. I got to the car about 10-15 minutes later with the fans running. I start the car and the HVAC is in Auto mode as I always leave it and speeds up the fan as the cool air starts to flow.

As I begin to drive it for some reason backs off the fan speeds sticking it on low even though it was still hot in the car. I reach a long stop light and come to a stop and realize that the cooling fan on the front of the car is at max power so much that I can hear it over the stereo inside the car. Alarmed and wondering if it is in fact my car I turn off the climate control system and the fan does indeed stop. After waiting another minute I turn the system back on and there is no air conditioning at all, the blower only blows hot air.

At this point I shut the car off and open the door to make sure everything turns off and then restart the car. Now the air conditioning comes back on but the Check Engine Light is illuminated. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Get a code reader and get the trouble code. Most Autozones will do this for you if you don't have a code reader.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #3
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Sounds like water pump failure. That is the #1 cause of a maxed out cooling fan. Pull the codes, but don't waste your time getting generic codes and such at a Autozone, take it to the dealer or a trusted independent to be diagnoses.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
phennighausen
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, BMW E90 328i

UPDATE: So it's at the dealer now. Of course the CEL went off as soon as they got their hands on it but they were able to check the codes logged and found that the thermostat was faulty and are replacing it. I will update with the specific codes when I pick it up next week.
Appreciate 0