2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding F10 HiFi Upgrade - A DIY Journey

03-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #23
SC300T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 M3, 540xi, 535ix GT

The Revenant amp has *NO* adjustability, zero, none. The tune is completely locked. I was dumbfounded. That is why it is going back to them. I have no idea why they'd try to market a $1000 amp and then have no configurability, especially when the hardware it is based on (The Match UP 7BMW) has infinite configurability.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #24
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

They should give user the option to fine tune the system. Just get Match UP 7BMW which you can get from eBay much cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #25
AWSB328iM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT

Just to clarify this is the base HiFi not the 600 watt Dirac DSP Top HiFi that's actually a very good system.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 05:17 AM   #26
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

I would prefer UP 7BMW amp than Top Hifi. The main reason is the imaging is better due to the option of setting delay, level and EQ for each individual channel. Plus there's RCA out for extra trunk sub for lower bass.

Off course the speakers in Top Hifi is better than base system but you can swap out with aftermarket or DIY speakers which I feel is better option.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:15 AM   #27
robbb
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

I have the Hifi (676)-option. As I understand the rear&center-speakers are also powered by the OEM-amp.
If I replace this with a Boxmore GT (Mosconi amp+Gladen speakers), will I lose the rear&mid speaker? Or is there an easy way to keep them pproducing sound? (Or: do I even need/want to koop them?)
Anyone who knows this?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #28
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

If you want to power all speakers, your best option is Match UP 7BMW DSP amp. You still can replace the speakers with Gladen One.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 06:52 AM   #29
MartinJeci
Registered
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 525xd 160kW

Nice install,

Do you have problem with amp? I tried to change my front speaker, and after i reconnect it to the new one, Both of my front speakers does not work anymore

I hope it is not in the amp, but it just some fuse or wiring.

I install STEG BM845C.

M.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #30
wwanxh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC300T View Post
"Hi, I also have a Revenant Amp as well. And I installed it on my 2013 F10 with the Bavsound tune file for OEM hifi speakers. I found that with this tune file, my center channel actually has no output or at least it has been tuned quite low. Is it the same with your center channel?"

I'm returning mine largely because it has zero adjustability. The sound is far too bright. It does have lots of power and clarity, though. As far as the center channel, mine has some output, but not terribly noticeable. The electronics do a good job of summing center channel signals and blending it with the left and right. I think the soundstaging / imaging is very good. I'll just get the 7UP BMW version so that I can tune it. The other thing that I don't like is that it has a variable high pass filter on the sub channels that is designed to limit excursion of low bass at high levels. You can definitely hear the drop off in the low bass at high levels. I'm sure this is on purpose to prevent overdriving the stock subs.
I decided to return mine too for the same reason as yours - no adjustability. For low output on the center channel, I was wrong, the amp was actually on "Red Light" tune which is not for OEM speakers. After switching tune back to "Green Light", the sound became very good. However, this tune has some noise problem, the loudness of background noise is unacceptable to me. I tried to tune it a bit, but it was not recognized by the tuning software that can be used for Up 7BMW. So I decided to return it.
Appreciate 1
O1NE0.00
      04-11-2019, 07:30 PM   #31
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

If you have background noise in your system, try to turn down the gain in the amp (no software needed, just a phillips screwdriver). That should lower the noise floor at higher volume.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 06:00 AM   #32
wwanxh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC300T View Post
The Revenant amp has *NO* adjustability, zero, none. The tune is completely locked. I was dumbfounded. That is why it is going back to them. I have no idea why they'd try to market a $1000 amp and then have no configurability, especially when the hardware it is based on (The Match UP 7BMW) has infinite configurability.
Would you mind if you could share your tune file for UP 7BMW? I just got my UP 7BMW from eBay, and have the Limousine tune loaded. I found this tune is not as great as Bavsound Amp’s.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:23 PM   #33
Shaun543
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 2015 528i, F15 2015 X5 50i

Rockford Fosgate and Earthquake with OEM Amp

I see a lot of back and forth on here in regards to the benefit of audio upgrades and keeping the stock amp. I want to give my take on it.

I have the HiFi (676) option. I swapped out the front door speakers with the Rockford Fosgate T3BMW2. I then replaced the under seat subs with the 2-ohm Earthquakes.

The door speakers were simple and straight forward. My only small complaint was that the harness for the tweeters had a 0 and +3db option, to which Rockford recommended the +3. Because that harness had the two pig tails it added extra wiring tied into the crossover block. It was a little annoying to find a place for that. Not deal breaking at all, just an observation. Other than that, plug and play. I have seen that set-up on line for $600+, Amazon had it for $299.

The Earthquake subs were a little trickier, nothing that anyone doing DIY could not do, just added more than a plug and play situation. First off be sure to order the spacer with the binding posts. The individual subs to not come with them. I do not think they would fit height wise without them, and they also made connections a lot easier. The Earthquakes do not come with an adapter harness, you will have to cut and butt-connect the wires or buy the harness along with subs. I have seen harness on eBay, but were like $20 a piece. For that money I figured it would be better to just cut and splice. Just leave enough wire on the plug to re-attach should you want to go back to factory.

Ok, on to the review. This made a HUGE difference to me in audio quality. I can feel my seat shake now with the under seat sub, and the fronts are much louder and clearer. That being said, I am easily able to hit 80+% on the volume knob, this is where upgrading the amp would come in handy. So my moral of this story is that if you want better audio quality, but don't want to get kicked out of your neighborhood, flip the switch on just some speaker upgrades. But if you are after higher volumes, then an amp upgrade would be needed.

I also run a JL Audio 10" 10W3v3 in a sealed enclosure in my trunk. I LOVE this sub. It is punchy and fast, not boomy and misplaced. The enclosure for this is crazy small, if I remember correctly it is like .6 cu ft or less. So it barely takes up any room at all. With the upgrade of the Earthquake under seat subs the curve is now almost seamless as it actually reproduces the mids I was struggling to get. It sounds great.

I am going to be adding a full new amp set-up. I am going to run 3 smaller amps, all Kicker brand. (1) 4ch for the inside speakers, (2) mono blocks; 1 for JL sub in trunk, 1 for Earthquakes under seat. I am a bit bummed I am going to lose the center channel, but have to sacrifice. My hope is that it doesn't get missed due to all the extra power to everything else. My hurdle with this is how/where to mount the 3 amps without it looking like a high school kids trunk! I'll try and post some pics with what I come up with.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #34
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun543 View Post
I see a lot of back and forth on here in regards to the benefit of audio upgrades and keeping the stock amp. I want to give my take on it.

I have the HiFi (676) option. I swapped out the front door speakers with the Rockford Fosgate T3BMW2. I then replaced the under seat subs with the 2-ohm Earthquakes.

The door speakers were simple and straight forward. My only small complaint was that the harness for the tweeters had a 0 and +3db option, to which Rockford recommended the +3. Because that harness had the two pig tails it added extra wiring tied into the crossover block. It was a little annoying to find a place for that. Not deal breaking at all, just an observation. Other than that, plug and play. I have seen that set-up on line for $600+, Amazon had it for $299.

The Earthquake subs were a little trickier, nothing that anyone doing DIY could not do, just added more than a plug and play situation. First off be sure to order the spacer with the binding posts. The individual subs to not come with them. I do not think they would fit height wise without them, and they also made connections a lot easier. The Earthquakes do not come with an adapter harness, you will have to cut and butt-connect the wires or buy the harness along with subs. I have seen harness on eBay, but were like $20 a piece. For that money I figured it would be better to just cut and splice. Just leave enough wire on the plug to re-attach should you want to go back to factory.

Ok, on to the review. This made a HUGE difference to me in audio quality. I can feel my seat shake now with the under seat sub, and the fronts are much louder and clearer. That being said, I am easily able to hit 80+% on the volume knob, this is where upgrading the amp would come in handy. So my moral of this story is that if you want better audio quality, but don't want to get kicked out of your neighborhood, flip the switch on just some speaker upgrades. But if you are after higher volumes, then an amp upgrade would be needed.

I also run a JL Audio 10" 10W3v3 in a sealed enclosure in my trunk. I LOVE this sub. It is punchy and fast, not boomy and misplaced. The enclosure for this is crazy small, if I remember correctly it is like .6 cu ft or less. So it barely takes up any room at all. With the upgrade of the Earthquake under seat subs the curve is now almost seamless as it actually reproduces the mids I was struggling to get. It sounds great.

I am going to be adding a full new amp set-up. I am going to run 3 smaller amps, all Kicker brand. (1) 4ch for the inside speakers, (2) mono blocks; 1 for JL sub in trunk, 1 for Earthquakes under seat. I am a bit bummed I am going to lose the center channel, but have to sacrifice. My hope is that it doesn't get missed due to all the extra power to everything else. My hurdle with this is how/where to mount the 3 amps without it looking like a high school kids trunk! I'll try and post some pics with what I come up with.
To make it easier, I would use UP 7BMW to replace the 676 Hifi amp which can drive 5 speakers and 2 underseat sub. Just add one more mono amp for subwoofer. Much cleaner install. That's how I install it for my wife X3. Hide everything in the trunk panel.

Also just an update, I'm going to swap out my front 3 speakers which is using Eminence SD28 and FaitalPro 4FE32 with Scan-speak D3004 tweeter and Scan-speak 10F4424 midrange. After I listen to my wife's X3 running on Scan-speak speakers, the SQ is at another level and the vocal is so sweet. I decided to swap her rear Scan-speak speakers which I haven't install into my front speaker and put the existing SD28 + 4FE32 into her rear door.
Appreciate 0