2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Apple CarPlay Install options
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #1
SpartanWolf
New Member
SpartanWolf's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: F10 535i XDrive MSport
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Apple CarPlay Install options

What is everyone doing in getting Apple CarPlay to play nice with iDrive??

Found this on a quick search / is there a more popular option?


HifiMax site

BMW Original Car Carplay Upgrade

This Apple Carplay (Android Auto) interface is specially designed for BMW original screen, after installing this module, you will have apple Carplay & Android Auto and mirror link functions.

Wireless Apple Carplay Android auto for BMW 1~7 series X1 X2 X3 X4 X5 X6 CIC NBT EVO
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
ThaiBruin
Captain
ThaiBruin's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
687
Posts

Drives: F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Playa Vista, CA

iTrader: (0)

I'm using an Andream NBT box for my 2014 F10. TONS more info at the following thread:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929
__________________
2014 Carbon Black 535i M Sport - Bootmod3 / M Performance Exhaust / Carbon Graphite Vorsteiner V-FF 103 / KW V2
Retired- 2013 MG 328i Sport Line 6MT - BMS Stage 1 / M Performance exhaust / M Performance steering wheel / M Performance shift knob/boot
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #3
Creeky B
New Member
9
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 435dX
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I am using the Andream as well. In general day to day works well. On occasion losses Bluetooth connection for wireless airplay. But setting up again is no issue for me.
My best addition to the car by far. Use it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 06:33 PM   #4
ThaiBruin
Captain
ThaiBruin's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
687
Posts

Drives: F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Playa Vista, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeky B View Post
I am using the Andream as well. In general day to day works well. On occasion losses Bluetooth connection for wireless airplay. But setting up again is no issue for me.
My best addition to the car by far. Use it all the time.
Honestly, one of the main reasons I'm planning to keep my car for a lot longer. My wife's volvo has carplay and I legit wanted a car that has it.
__________________
2014 Carbon Black 535i M Sport - Bootmod3 / M Performance Exhaust / Carbon Graphite Vorsteiner V-FF 103 / KW V2
Retired- 2013 MG 328i Sport Line 6MT - BMS Stage 1 / M Performance exhaust / M Performance steering wheel / M Performance shift knob/boot

Last edited by ThaiBruin; 11-10-2020 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 09:07 PM   #5
Grizzlymc
The Hibernator
Grizzlymc's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (0)

Bump to all of the above. Installed a Joyeauto WJBM 3 in my 2012 f10. Awesome device. Helping me keep the car much longer than anticipated.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
texascfo
Enlisted Member
United_States
4
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2014 535i XDrive
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Exclamation Andream Carplay MMI and OEM camera

I have a 2014 535I XDrive and this past weekend, installed the Andream Carplay MMi. It was not difficult and hardest was removing the two green sound connectors and installing in the new system without breaking the clip. I also successfully hid the unit and carplay working great. Love siri use and waze and my music.

I have a problem though. I have OEM camera with PDC and while in carplay and I go into reverse, the Camera does not show but I can hear the beeping. If I hit menu and go back to Idrive, the camera works perfectly.

I believe that the Rear view camera should automatically pop up whenever the reverse gear is engaged. It overrides everything and Carplay mmi or regular iDrive.

Does anyone have any thought on this and maybe there is an issue with the Carplay settings or the unit?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
ThaiBruin
Captain
ThaiBruin's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
687
Posts

Drives: F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Playa Vista, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascfo View Post
I have a 2014 535I XDrive and this past weekend, installed the Andream Carplay MMi. It was not difficult and hardest was removing the two green sound connectors and installing in the new system without breaking the clip. I also successfully hid the unit and carplay working great. Love siri use and waze and my music.

I have a problem though. I have OEM camera with PDC and while in carplay and I go into reverse, the Camera does not show but I can hear the beeping. If I hit menu and go back to Idrive, the camera works perfectly.

I believe that the Rear view camera should automatically pop up whenever the reverse gear is engaged. It overrides everything and Carplay mmi or regular iDrive.

Does anyone have any thought on this and maybe there is an issue with the Carplay settings or the unit?

I had mine professionally installed, and I know I saw the guy going into the settings and adjusted some of the camera options. I'm not sure which ones they were as I was just happy to see that everything worked as it should when he was done. The OEM camera should definitely still work if you're in the MMI and go into reverse.
__________________
2014 Carbon Black 535i M Sport - Bootmod3 / M Performance Exhaust / Carbon Graphite Vorsteiner V-FF 103 / KW V2
Retired- 2013 MG 328i Sport Line 6MT - BMS Stage 1 / M Performance exhaust / M Performance steering wheel / M Performance shift knob/boot
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #8
texascfo
Enlisted Member
United_States
4
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2014 535i XDrive
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Exclamation Andream Carplay MMI

I was able to resolve the issue with OEM camera and now works - Reverse Line Detect must be turned off in the software settings for OEM camera.

I have another question though.

Finally, before I installed carplay, I could make calls using my steering wheel button that was paired with my phone. Per carplay instructions, after I installed car play, I wiped the idrive pairing of my phone and BT. I then set up the phone as carplay BT.

Now, in car play, when I select the phone button on the steering wheel, it says no BT phone connected and to connect.

I would like to use the steering wheel phone button for carplay and does anyone have any thoughts? If I set up BT phone in Idrive again, would there be a conflict on which phone to use when starting car Ė Idrive or Car play?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #9
ThaiBruin
Captain
ThaiBruin's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
687
Posts

Drives: F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Playa Vista, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascfo View Post
I was able to resolve the issue with OEM camera and now works - Reverse Line Detect must be turned off in the software settings for OEM camera.

I have another question though.

Finally, before I installed carplay, I could make calls using my steering wheel button that was paired with my phone. Per carplay instructions, after I installed car play, I wiped the idrive pairing of my phone and BT. I then set up the phone as carplay BT.

Now, in car play, when I select the phone button on the steering wheel, it says no BT phone connected and to connect.

I would like to use the steering wheel phone button for carplay and does anyone have any thoughts? If I set up BT phone in Idrive again, would there be a conflict on which phone to use when starting car Ė Idrive or Car play?
I just use Siri to make calls through CarPlay. Haven't had any real issues with that, at least so far. It would be worth a search through this insanely large thread:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929

Fairly certain you'll find a fix in there.
__________________
2014 Carbon Black 535i M Sport - Bootmod3 / M Performance Exhaust / Carbon Graphite Vorsteiner V-FF 103 / KW V2
Retired- 2013 MG 328i Sport Line 6MT - BMS Stage 1 / M Performance exhaust / M Performance steering wheel / M Performance shift knob/boot
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #10
texascfo
Enlisted Member
United_States
4
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2014 535i XDrive
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thank you. I tried and it is a huge database. I tried to search by several items but to no avail. Will try again
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 10:34 PM   #11
Grizzlymc
The Hibernator
Grizzlymc's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascfo View Post
I was able to resolve the issue with OEM camera and now works - Reverse Line Detect must be turned off in the software settings for OEM camera.

I have another question though.

Finally, before I installed carplay, I could make calls using my steering wheel button that was paired with my phone. Per carplay instructions, after I installed car play, I wiped the idrive pairing of my phone and BT. I then set up the phone as carplay BT.

Now, in car play, when I select the phone button on the steering wheel, it says no BT phone connected and to connect.

I would like to use the steering wheel phone button for carplay and does anyone have any thoughts? If I set up BT phone in Idrive again, would there be a conflict on which phone to use when starting car Ė Idrive or Car play?
As far as my experience goes, no the carplay audio is entirely separate from the vehicle's bluetooth. The steering wheel phone controls don't work with the carplay unit. As a result the only time the steeringwheel phone controls work is when you are BT'd to your phone through iDrive. This would prevent you from using the carplay wirelessly via blue tooth.

If you wanted to use both the steering wheel controls and carplay, you'd have to BT your phone for audio calling and USB plug your phone for carplay.

I highly recommend just using Carplay as the call audio quality is FAR better than the car's bluetooth microphone.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 01:56 PM   #12
texascfo
Enlisted Member
United_States
4
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2014 535i XDrive
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thank you for the detailed response and very helpful
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #13
scoobdawg
Private
8
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: f10
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlymc View Post
As far as my experience goes, no the carplay audio is entirely separate from the vehicle's bluetooth. The steering wheel phone controls don't work with the carplay unit. As a result the only time the steeringwheel phone controls work is when you are BT'd to your phone through iDrive. This would prevent you from using the carplay wirelessly via blue tooth.

If you wanted to use both the steering wheel controls and carplay, you'd have to BT your phone for audio calling and USB plug your phone for carplay.

I highly recommend just using Carplay as the call audio quality is FAR better than the car's bluetooth microphone.
I'm really confused with this - I just got carplay working - Without using the steering wheel button, how do you make phone calls, read messages etc - How do you activate Siri? sorry.. Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 02:24 PM   #14
nick06
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: F10 BMW 535i
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Hickman vs. Bimmertech

I'm looking for the Apple car play. I've narrowed it down to the Bimmertech one and Hifimax one. Which one would be the best option?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 01:36 AM   #15
Houranimd49
Private First Class
United_States
51
Rep
135
Posts

Drives: F10 535i xDrive, E82 135i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I installed CarPlay into my F10 and it works fine... when it stays on. It'll randomly switch back the factory iDrive without notice. Help please!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 03:50 PM   #16
2013F10
Private First Class
48
Rep
139
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 535xi
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Denver, CO.

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick06 View Post
I'm looking for the Apple car play. I've narrowed it down to the Bimmertech one and Hifimax one. Which one would be the best option?
Did you ever install the Hifimax system? Interested in how seamlessly it functions with iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 06:52 PM   #17
ahheadlock
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: f10 535d, E46 M3
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

iTrader: (0)

I purchased the Mr12Volt Carplay interface:

https://www.mr12volt.com/collections...-interface-dsp

(mine is the previous model)

The main selling point is it uses the MOST interface for audio so you dont lose any quality by going via AUX.

unfortunately it did not work. It doesn't recognise the iDrive controller, so while it is plugged in you cant navigate anything. I dont know if that's because my car is an AU model or if it just doesn't like the F10 in general. The support was very helpful but ultimately, even with another unit, we couldn't get it working.

Just FYI in case anyone either has one (i would be interested in your experience, if it worked for you) or is considering one.

I'm a little worried that if I purchased one of these other carplay interfaces, i would have similar issues. Has anyone in Australia with an MY12 had success with a carplay interface?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 09:42 AM   #18
Egoy936
Private First Class
24
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: Bmw 535
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

I recommend NBT EVO with oem Apple CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 08:40 PM   #19
M4kind
New Member
Lithuania
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: Bmw F10 528i
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Lithuania

iTrader: (0)

I have been using carplay for 2 years. Iíve bought one from aliexpress( they are all the same) and fitted it to CIC system. Normally you canít skip tracks from your steering wheel because you have to put it to Aux on your i drive. But Use the bluetooth audio from the original cic system or use usb in the glovebox, and now you have perfect quality music and steering wheel full controls.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 08:42 PM   #20
M4kind
New Member
Lithuania
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: Bmw F10 528i
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Lithuania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahheadlock View Post
I purchased the Mr12Volt Carplay interface:

https://www.mr12volt.com/collections...-interface-dsp

(mine is the previous model)

The main selling point is it uses the MOST interface for audio so you dont lose any quality by going via AUX.

unfortunately it did not work. It doesn't recognise the iDrive controller, so while it is plugged in you cant navigate anything. I dont know if that's because my car is an AU model or if it just doesn't like the F10 in general. The support was very helpful but ultimately, even with another unit, we couldn't get it working.

Just FYI in case anyone either has one (i would be interested in your experience, if it worked for you) or is considering one.

I'm a little worried that if I purchased one of these other carplay interfaces, i would have similar issues. Has anyone in Australia with an MY12 had success with a carplay interface?
Iíve had this issue and I fixed it by switching wires and switches on the back of the unit, make sure you have everything connected correctly.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST