2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Thrust angle and crabbing.

01-25-2019, 03:21 AM   #1
bgbQ8
Rep
Drives: 530i F10 2013

Hello guys.

My car seems to be pulling to the right for the past 6 months. I remember the pulling started to happen when I had to get the car in for a brake service to be done. Then I had to change 3 tires the fourth one was changed 1 month prior.

Around last month I started to notice that the car looked bent to the left which freaked me out since I thought The frame was bent too( never had any major accidents). The biggest crash I did was my rear right tire hitting a curb at 5 to 8 mph.

So I took the car to the dealer and they did an inspection which resulted in me having to replace both front thrust rod bushes and lower control arms. Then they did a 4 wheel alignment and the pull somehow got reduced a bit but came back a week later. the car still looks bent. I got an appointment with the dealer this week to work out what to do next.

Any help would be appreciated.

In the pics the car is parked straight. If u look at the left side it doesnt look straight. The thrust angle is measured to be 0.02- would that make the car to crab down the road?

EDIT : update

Got to the dealer and we came to the conculsion to get a frame/chasis inspection.

Gonna update once I get the final report.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

If you are talking about rear tires having different gaps in relation to rear top fenders (one of tire upper side looks more in towards body), it is normal. I thought the same that my car's rear wheel were out of alignment, but according to machine it was straight but visually looking at each side does not look straight.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 06:40 AM   #3
bgbQ8
Rep

UPDATE : turns out the chassis/frame is fine and the problem could be tires having radial pull.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbQ8 View Post
UPDATE : turns out the chassis/frame is fine and the problem could be tires having radial pull.
Easy enough to check. Swap the left and right front tires and see if the pull follows. The bad tire is the one that pulls; i.e. right pull = right front tire and vice-a-versa.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #5
bgbQ8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbQ8 View Post
Easy enough to check. Swap the left and right front tires and see if the pull follows. The bad tire is the one that pulls; i.e. right pull = right front tire and vice-a-versa.
Yeah, they swapped the tires and the vehicle started pulling hard to the left instead of right.

Gonna get myself new tires tmw.
Appreciate 0