2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) COTA F1 - What to do while there - Any Tips?

10-06-2018, 09:09 AM   #23
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browntrash View Post
Hike Mount Bonnell?

Oasis on Lake Travis - for view... i cant comment on food haven't been in years
Thanks!!

Oh, that's an idea. Not familiar with Lake Travis either. I'll trade views for food quality .... I live near the beach, it's the same thing here.
      10-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #24
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by N52UNED View Post
Thanks for the info.

Whataburger ... I've been to a couple. Mainly because they're a Texas staple. Not a bad burger joint ... but that's possibly because we don't have any where I'm at in Florida. The burgers remind me of Jack In The Box. Quite a few popped up in the Jacksonville area.

We're definately looking for some BBQ ... how's Black's brisket (it's the Mrs' favorite)
For a phenomenal boneless pork chop, and pretty good brisket, hit up Cooper's BBQ on Congress near 4th. They're a little over 1" thick, and only seasoned w/salt and pepper. The pecan, peach, and berry cobblers are spectacular, as well.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 10-06-2018 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
N52UNED175.00
      10-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #25
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
That's a bit uncalled for. Your previous one was better with 6th street restaurants.

Just because I didn't list what research I've done ... doesn't mean you should assume I haven't done any. The fact that I mentioned "local spots that won't be packed with people" should've been a bit of a clue that I wasn't looking for published tourist info or typical tourist spots.

I've been on the website. I've also spoken to relatives in Dallas who've been there .... but I was also looking for some other insights that aren't listed on an obvious search from folks who have gone to an F1 race at COTA.

Hell, you live in Austin and all you can say is that witty quip. Gee ... surprised you didn't state to check out ASL and what concerts they have at that time. Seriously ... what insight from a local ... and not one restaurant recommendation, just go to 6th St.
Quote:
... and I'm done reading your Google search information. Great insights from a local. Your assistance was greatly diminished with your make your own decisions comment. Which made any other information condescending. And no you didn't say a lot besides 6th street. You actually gave me a link to COTA!!! ... Seriously?

It couldn't have killed you to say ... these are great off the beaten path places to eat.

* BJ's BBQ is really good local spot ... tender brisket but their ribs are great

* La Cantina has awesome taco's

* The Chop is a good place if you're looking for a nice steak that's under $20

OR

* The Austin Zoo or the Aquarium is a good way to kill time, neither are that expensive and can kill a few hours.

Indeed "Southern Hospitality" is dead ... and living their doesn't mean the folks that do ... are.

And without 1 mention of what else to bring to the track ... it would seem you haven't even gone to a F1 race at COTA.

Whatever ... move onto someone else's thread.
WOW... What an asshole.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 11:05 PM   #26
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
... ... ... ... ...

Hope you have great visit
Awesome info!!!

Thanks a lot for all the detailed information! So helpful! It's much appreciated!

This is extremely helpful, especially since we're going to be in Austin for 5 days. I totally forgot about an F1 experience likely going on. I don't mind it being packed, if/when it becomes to annoying we'll move on.

Last edited by N52UNED; 10-07-2018 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 11:13 PM   #27
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
WOW... What an asshole.
WOW ... now that's the pot calling the kettle black. It's a pretty asshole move to call someone an asshole on a forum. So I guess what they say is true ... it takes one to notice one. Although the guy gave input he also came off very condescending (the way I read it), especially with his "make your own decisions" quip. Honestly a link to COTA? That's pretty rude, and definitely condescending to assume I haven't been on COTA's website (since that the main place to buy tickets). But thanks for chiming in. You're doing an excellent job. Keep up the good work Mr. Pot.
      10-06-2018, 11:23 PM   #28
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
For a phenomenal boneless pork chop, and pretty good brisket, hit up Cooper's BBQ on Congress near 4th. They're a little over 1" thick, and only season w/salt and pepper. The pecan, peach, and berry cobblers are spectacular, as well.
Thank you ... Thank you ... Thank you!

That's awesome! I'm a big fan of pork chops and the Mrs' likes brisket (although she's pretty easy to please, as long as it's not dry and fatty ... she's happy pappy). Knowing about the cobblers is great ... so many times you think they're going to be good they're not, so I generally skip them.

I'll make sure to hit up Coopers!
      10-06-2018, 11:50 PM   #29
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
WOW ... now that's the pot calling the kettle black. It's a pretty asshole move to call someone an asshole on a forum. So I guess what they say is true ... it takes one to notice one. Although the guy gave input he also came off very condescending (the way I read it), especially with his "make your own decisions" quip. Honestly a link to COTA? That's pretty rude, and definitely condescending to assume I haven't been on COTA's website (since that the main place to buy tickets). But thanks for chiming in. You're doing an excellent job. Keep up the good work Mr. Pot.
Look. I already told you that I was not being condescending, nor was I making a quip. I had mentioned going to 6th Street and someone else said "don't go to 6th Street", so I gave you a link with a lot of information about 6th Street and said that the decision was up to you. How is that a quip or being condescending?

I was honestly trying to be helpful, you treated me like crap, and I am sorry that I even bothered. I think that my 7,000+ rep points show that most people usually appreciate my posts and again I am sorry that you didn't.

You have given me a great lesson. Thanks.

P.S. You are absolutely correct - I have never attended an F1 race at COTA. I have, however, participated in a half dozen HPDE events there, but that is not the same thing. Cheers.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org

Last edited by SakhirM4; 10-06-2018 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      10-07-2018, 12:09 AM   #30
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Look. I already told you that I was not being condescending, nor was I making a quip. I had mentioned going to 6th Street and someone else said "don't go to 6th Street", so I gave you a link with a lot of information about 6th Street and said that the decision was up to you. How is that a quip or being condescending?

I was honestly trying to be helpful, you treated me like crap, and I am sorry that I even bothered. I think that my 7,000+ rep points show that most people usually appreciate my posts and again I am sorry that you didn't.

You have given me a great lesson. Thanks.
Dude ... I get it ... let it go. Some times the written word does not come across as we intend, and this seems to be one of those instances. That's why in my retort to the other guy ... I stated that what you wrote "came off very condescending" as well as, "the way I read it." When you read either "Make your own decisions" and "the decision is (was) up to you" both read differently. Although they make the same basic point "make your own decisions" reads much more like .... don't rely on others to make your decision for you. Understand? If not, at least know that's how I read it.

I understand that you didn't mean for it to be read as a quip or that you were being condescending ... however at the time, regardless of what you said, it came of as condescending. Heck, you gave me a link to COTA ... that's up there with giving someone the or emojis when they ask a basic question without researching first. I do understand you were trying to be helpful, but it came across in a backhanded way ... whether you meant for it or not.

I apologize for being rude and unappreciative ... there's just a shit-ton of condescending/know-it-all/smart asses / or people that chime in to just make themselves known, on these boards (For instance ... the guy I was replying to) ... sometimes its hard to tell who is and who isn't ... all you can go by is how it's written.

I understand if you're not cool with me ... but know, I'm cool with you. Peace

Last edited by N52UNED; 10-07-2018 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 11:37 PM   #31
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Don't waste your time at the F1 Experience. It is for people that want to be somewhere, but have no means. As you are traveling to Austin for the race I'd say go a bit more upscale for dinner. 6th Street is great if you like bars with good live music. Do dinner at someplace nice, then go and hear a good band on 6th Street.

One cool, and reasonable place, for lunch is Shady Grove. Try the fries that they make up as an appetizer. The place is a piece of 50s Americana. They make a good house bloody mary.
Appreciate 1
N52UNED175.00
      10-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #32
HockeyDad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche GT4, M2 Ordered

Re: Texas BBQ - I'm surprised no one has mentioned Franklin BBQ in Austin. One of the absolute best in the country - but if you're like me, no way in hell we're waiting in line 4-6 hours for ANY type food. I'll let you in on a little secret - the second best BBQ in the country can be found no more than 25 miles or so away from Austin in Taylor, TX - Louie Mueller BBQ. Hands down the best brisket, ribs, and sausage I've found. And, if you're REALLY hungry, you've GOT to try the beef rib. My goodness...

Louie Mueller in Taylor is where Aaron Franklin learned to cook brisket. It's worth the short drive if you can fit it into your schedule. Trust me, you won't be disappointed!
Appreciate 2
N52UNED175.00
P111523.50
      10-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #33
HockeyDad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche GT4, M2 Ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyDad View Post
Re: Texas BBQ - I'm surprised no one has mentioned Franklin BBQ in Austin. One of the absolute best in the country - but if you're like me, no way in hell we're waiting in line 4-6 hours for ANY type food. I'll let you in on a little secret - the second best BBQ in the country can be found no more than 25 miles or so away from Austin in Taylor, TX - Louie Mueller BBQ. Hands down the best brisket, ribs, and sausage I've found. And, if you're REALLY hungry, you've GOT to try the beef rib. My goodness...

Louie Mueller in Taylor is where Aaron Franklin learned to cook brisket. It's worth the short drive if you can fit it into your schedule. Trust me, you won't be disappointed!
Oh, and go for lunch, they probably won't have much of anything left at dinnertime.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #34
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Weather is going to be sh*t all weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #35
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Weather is going to be sh*t all weekend.
Looks like it. OP, I'll be at T9 with my family too! Hope race day will be fun with a green track. Looking forward to it

I asked the ticket office about bringing your own food/drinks. They only allow one sealed 20-oz drink per person and any other food/drink provisions are only made for those with allergies and/or infants/toddlers. You're otherwise limited to the trackside food and beverages which are somewhat pricey.

I'll throw in two dinner recommendations:

1 - Eddie V's on 5th - Reserve the one couple's booth in the lounge to make it extra special for the wife. Live (good) music after 7p in the lounge too. Seafood, aged bone-in ribeye, truffled mac and cheese and godiva molten chocolate cake are unmatched! Cocktails and wine are good too.

2 - Fabi + Rosi (assuming they're still around) - It's husband-wife joint (one Texan, one German) in an interesting setting with german fusion food. Nothing like it that I've been to before, also make reservations if they take them.
Appreciate 1
N52UNED175.00
      10-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #36
HOT M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I will be taking my Son for his 13th Birthday. That's what he wanted as his gift. And he wants to Go to " Green Mesquite", am I raising this boy right or what?
See you all there.
2019 M2C Sunset Orange/Black (Ohlins/swift coilovers, Ground Control Camber Plates, Dinan Heat exchanger, BM3 ECU tune, CF mirror caps, diffuser and rear spoiler, Vorsteiner V-FF 101 Patina Bronze wheels)

Last edited by HOT M; 10-18-2018 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: adding
Appreciate 1
N52UNED175.00
      10-18-2018, 09:57 PM   #37
OG Shark
Rep
Drives: Angry

PSA - be very careful if you park in the grass anywhere around the track. Very very easy to get stuck in this kind of ground when it’s barely wet - can be especially bad with how much rain we’ve gotten the last few weeks.

Also get reservations ASAP if you haven’t already -might be too late. Lots of people here (specifically downtown) already.

Love this race weekend. Everyone have fun!
Appreciate 1
N52UNED175.00
      10-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #38
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktx View Post
PSA - be very careful if you park in the grass anywhere around the track. Very very easy to get stuck in this kind of ground when it's barely wet - can be especially bad with how much rain we've gotten the last few weeks.

Also get reservations ASAP if you haven't already -might be too late. Lots of people here (specifically downtown) already.

Love this race weekend. Everyone have fun!
Thanks for that ... I'm glad we decided to use the shuttles instead.
      10-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #39
Fender150
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Im renting a car there to park on lot F, looks like a sh** ton of rain
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #40
OG Shark
Rep

And magically the rain has pretty much disappeared! Love Texas weather!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #41
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z M ROAD View Post
I will be taking my Son for his 13th Birthday. That's what he wanted as his gift. And he wants to Go to " Green Mesquite", am I raising this boy right or what?
See you all there.
Please don't take him to the Green Mesquite. That place is awful.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #42
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktx View Post
And magically the rain has pretty much disappeared! Love Texas weather!
Today was probably the most beautiful day we've had all year long.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410783.00
      10-21-2018, 08:38 PM   #43
Fender150
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

It did get muddy in the parking but race day was pretty nice and sunny
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 08:57 PM   #44
OG Shark
Rep

Yeah it was. Perfect weather today, exciting race, can’t ask for much more than that. Absolutely awesome day out there!
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410783.00