2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Cooler Engine Temps and Winter

09-04-2020, 08:02 AM   #1
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Cooler Engine Temps and Winter

This is for those of you running BMS sport oil cooler valve (this), or the free bypass procedure (as this video shows)- Do you guys run it like that year round, or do you put it back to stock for the winter months?

I have my MHD coolant target in Sport and I love it. Coolant temps went from 232* down to 198*. I've debated doing the free bypass procedure above in addition. Oil temps used to be around 223*. Now with coolant running "Sport", the oil is around 205-209*. I'd like to bring the oil temp to the same or a little below coolant temp (as long as it's over 170* fully warmed up, I'll be happy). But coming into the winter months, I also don't want to sit in my car for 15 mins for the engine oil to warm up lol (exaggeration of course). What is your experience like with this? TIA
11' M-sport- 371 WHP-478 WTQ on stock PWG// DYNO COMING FOR Shuenk N55+ on 91oct/ BHP Intake/ IC/ CP/ DP/ Valved Mufflers/ David Shoup Tuning/ B58 Coils+N20 NGKs/ Walbro 450/ Helix OD/ xHP3/ G12 Brembos
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 535i, 12' Lexus RX350,

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Anyone?? I would really like to know about this as well.
      09-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
beegeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

I would be careful about messing with operating temperatures in a modern engine. If you’re overheating, yes. Otherwise, you’re messing with system designed for efficiency, emissions, and power. If you want lower temps, go for lower intake temps...plenty to gain there without consequences.

Edit: The MHD target cooling should be fine, since it’s adjustable. I was mostly talking about running the oil cooler bypass, which has plenty of negatives for a street car. This looks promising, I wonder if it fits an F10 N55? https://www.mosselmanturbo.com/en/msl-thermostat-n55

Edit #2: realoem says the OFH is the same, but the thermostat housing is a different part number. If it’s just a different thermostat than the 3-series, then it should work. If the fittings for the oil cooler in/out lines are different, then it would require some work.

Last edited by beegeezy; 09-07-2020 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegeezy View Post
I would be careful about messing with operating temperatures in a modern engine. If you’re overheating, yes. Otherwise, you’re messing with system designed for efficiency, emissions, and power. If you want lower temps, go for lower intake temps...plenty to gain there without consequences.

Edit: The MHD target cooling should be fine, since it’s adjustable. I was mostly talking about running the oil cooler bypass, which has plenty of negatives for a street car. This looks promising, I wonder if it fits an F10 N55? https://www.mosselmanturbo.com/en/msl-thermostat-n55

Edit #2: realoem says the OFH is the same, but the thermostat housing is a different part number. If it’s just a different thermostat than the 3-series, then it should work. If the fittings for the oil cooler in/out lines are different, then it would require some work.
Thanks for sharing. I've ran into that assembly but I just don't see the cost- benefit factor making sense when there's more economical means of getting the same result reliably. You certainly can't beat the eye candy effect from it though! It's beautiful and right at the front center of the engine.

I'm going to do the free bypass procedure right now and go test drive it. I'll report back later this afternoon!
11' M-sport- 371 WHP-478 WTQ on stock PWG// DYNO COMING FOR Shuenk N55+ on 91oct/ BHP Intake/ IC/ CP/ DP/ Valved Mufflers/ David Shoup Tuning/ B58 Coils+N20 NGKs/ Walbro 450/ Helix OD/ xHP3/ G12 Brembos
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 05:35 PM   #5
95blkmax
Captain
Rep

alright so! I went out on a 15.5 mile drive. About 12 was city stop and go, and 3.5 was highway. The highway saw cruising and two 3rd gear pulls, and the street saw cruising and brisk accelerations when safely doable.

So just to recap what I've done-
- MHD's coolant target on Sport
- Engine oil heat exchanger free bypass mod is done

Before the above took place, in "stock form" I saw the following once warmed up in summer heat-

- Engine Coolant Temp 221-223
- Engine Oil Temp 222-232
- Transmission Temp 236-242

Now having done the above mods (what I saw once all was warm, and once stopped at my driveway to give you an idea of the range)-

- Engine Coolant Temp 187-190 (approx. 15% reduction)
- Engine Oil Temp 198-201 (approx. 13% reduction)
- Transmission Temp 184-187 (approx. 23% reduction)

I'm happy with where the engine fluids are now. I'm THRILLED at where the transmission fluid now sits! To me a happy transmission sits around 170-190* so when you beat on it there's plenty room for the fluid to heat up and take the abuse before it begins breaking down. The trans fluid temps shown are AFTER I beat on it on the highway and plenty stop n go around town. It just stayed in the 180s no matter what I did .

It also did not feel that the engine took any longer to start moving the engine oil temp gauge (140*... coincidentally also the point where the stock DME allows full boost ). Based on that, I'm feeling comfortable going into my winter months with this mod in place. This being on a 90* day like today, but I'll have to see how it behaves in the winter months. For now, all is good.
Appreciate 0