2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications New N63 engine installed, update.

02-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
paul_sarky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i M-Sport

New N63 engine installed, update.

My N63 seized up on July 31st after a rod bearing overheated and failed. It was a long journey to get a new engine with the whole recall and lawsuit, but I picked up my car yesterday and the engine purrs.

I decated my cats, basically have a 3 inch hole thru them so I was worried if the dealer/warranty would deny my claim, but he only asked me if I want to replace them, I declined and they proceeded with the swap.

I think I need a new battery now, probably because its been sitting in the dealer lot 6 months dead and my carbon fiber spoiler is toast from the sun, alignment needs to be done because the steering wheel sits a little sideways when going straight, other than that I'm glad I have my car back.

The "long block" motor was a little under $4k, labor was $6.2k plus a few other parts, total was $11,200, my portion out of pocket was 500ish. This was done with my aftermarket warranty.

I'm probably one of the very first people with the new N63 engine out there

Suggestions if I should do an oil change after a 1000 miles or so? Break-in suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
shawn938
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Wow I've been waiting for 8 months now for a replacement engine. Congratulations though good to finally see someone get one. Also how long did it take the dealership to install it?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_sarky View Post
My N63 seized up on July 31st after a rod bearing overheated and failed. It was a long journey to get a new engine with the whole recall and lawsuit, but I picked up my car yesterday and the engine purrs.

I decated my cats, basically have a 3 inch hole thru them so I was worried if the dealer/warranty would deny my claim, but he only asked me if I want to replace them, I declined and they proceeded with the swap.

I think I need a new battery now, probably because its been sitting in the dealer lot 6 months dead and my carbon fiber spoiler is toast from the sun, alignment needs to be done because the steering wheel sits a little sideways when going straight, other than that I'm glad I have my car back.

The "long block" motor was a little under $4k, labor was $6.2k plus a few other parts, total was $11,200, my portion out of pocket was 500ish. This was done with my aftermarket warranty.

Suggestions if I should do an oil change after a 1000 miles or so? Break-in suggestions?
Any check engine light with the decat?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
paul_sarky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn938 View Post
Wow I've been waiting for 8 months now for a replacement engine. Congratulations though good to finally see someone get one. Also how long did it take the dealership to install it?
Thanks. They started working on it Tuesday. They were test driving it Wednesday evening.

Service manager told me I was the #2 customer on the list and they have 9 more. There's gotta be a lot of people waiting for motors out there..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
paul_sarky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535_BiTurbo View Post
Any check engine light with the decat?
Nope. I have an old post on here somewhere with the drawing, and I believe people said it wouldn't work. But, I did it and no check engine light. At first, the check engine light came on, but it was showing that the cats were basically too clean lol. After a day or two the light turned off and been off ever since. If I had to get emission testing done, I'd pass with no issue, even tho the guys there would be choking with all that untreated exhaust.

I drilled a 2.5inch hole thru the cats and put a stainless pipe thru it and cemented it in place with high heat glue/epoxy. So most of the gases go thru the stainless pipe and never have any contact with the second 02 sensor. So there's very little gas reaching the sensor and by the time it does, its very clean/lean.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #6
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 550I, 07 335I,

Wait...they didn't do a wheel alignment after pulling out the engine from your car? Plus you paid your share? I would have definitely questioned them as to why the car doesn't drive true. Also please tell me you did confirm the new warranty on your new engine?
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      02-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #7
paul_sarky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahone View Post
Wait...they didn't do a wheel alignment after pulling out the engine from your car? Plus you paid your share? I would have definitely questioned them as to why the car doesn't drive true. Also please tell me you did confirm the new warranty on your new engine?
Yeah, unfortunately, you'd think that'd be part of the job.

And yes, the service manager said 2 years/unlimited miles warranty from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 09:18 PM   #8
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahone View Post
Engine is pulled through the top, suspension is not touched so an alignment wouldn’t be part of the repair.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 10:15 PM   #9
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was under the impression that the cradle was dropped and the body lifted?

Watch "Bmw 550 F10 engine removal N63 - Removendo motor bmw 550 F10" on YouTube
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2019, 10:30 PM   #10
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just in case the arguement is that's not how a professional would do it....
Watch "BMW F10 M5 S63 Engine Removal Time-lapse!" on YouTube
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 11:19 PM   #11
paul_sarky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyEight740 View Post
Engine is pulled through the top, suspension is not touched so an alignment wouldn’t be part of the repair.
The SA told me it gets dropped from the bottom, they had to remove the steering column at the very beginning so they could troubleshoot the engine failure, had to remove the lower and upper oil pans, so whatever they did, they definitely messed up my alignment and now the steering is angled to the left and the car is all over the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 11:53 PM   #12
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Lucky, mine was 2 years ago, replaced with used motor thru aftermarket warranty at tune of $18k I think? BMW wanted around that for the block then.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #13
pinski
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 550I M

Hi, thanks for sharing what aftermarket warranty did you end up going with?
Appreciate 1
EZgo53.50
      02-07-2019, 10:02 PM   #14
paul_sarky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinski View Post
Hi, thanks for sharing what aftermarket warranty did you end up going with?
I believe its "National".
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #15
ChesterCopperpot1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Hi all. I am sorry to hijack your thread, but if someone could direct me to the right place, that would be great.

I just bought a 2011 550i M Sport with 79,xxx miles on it. I did not buy it CPO, and I do not have a warranty. I thought I did my research on this car, but after purchasing it, I see I did not. I see the class action against BMW, and I see the recall as well. I cannot return the car -- trust me, I tried begging and pleading to the dealer who essentially told me to piss off. I put $3k down and owe $13k. The trade-in value for the car is somewhere around $9k. I have already put $600 in tires, $150 in diagnostic at BMW, and authorized $2500 in repairs repairing coolant issues and diverter valves. If I traded it in, I would be essentially taking a bath of nearly $10k. I just cannot do that.

Is there a thread to direct me to information about the recall -- if my car is even covered under it? I looked up the current open recalls on my car, and the only one open right now is an electric turbo coolant pump. Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #16
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCopperpot1 View Post
Hi all. I am sorry to hijack your thread, but if someone could direct me to the right place, that would be great.

I just bought a 2011 550i M Sport with 79,xxx miles on it. I did not buy it CPO, and I do not have a warranty. I thought I did my research on this car, but after purchasing it, I see I did not. I see the class action against BMW, and I see the recall as well. I cannot return the car -- trust me, I tried begging and pleading to the dealer who essentially told me to piss off. I put $3k down and owe $13k. The trade-in value for the car is somewhere around $9k. I have already put $600 in tires, $150 in diagnostic at BMW, and authorized $2500 in repairs repairing coolant issues and diverter valves. If I traded it in, I would be essentially taking a bath of nearly $10k. I just cannot do that.

Is there a thread to direct me to information about the recall -- if my car is even covered under it? I looked up the current open recalls on my car, and the only one open right now is an electric turbo coolant pump. Any help is appreciated.
A quick search and you shall find. You're into the danger zone with this car at that mileage. Two things I'd suggest: sell the car yourself for $12k-15k cutting your losses and lick your wounds -or- spend another $3k-5K for a really good warranty (one that does cover hoses specifically) and enjoy the car...the times it's not in the shop that is.

Otherwise, likely worst case is your engine goes and likely best case is you get endlessly bent-over every few months for $2k-5k in repairs.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      02-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #17
shawn938
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_sarky View Post

When I picked up my car with the replaced engine on Friday my service advisor told me that my thrust arm bushings needed to be replaced and that the car wouldn't be aligned perfectly until then. On Monday I dropped my car off to my regular BMW certified mechanic and he told me the thrust arm bushings looked fine and the car just needed a alignment. So I don't know what my service center was trying to pull on me.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #18
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCopperpot1 View Post

My engine seized at 78k miles back in 2015. If your engines seizes it'll be over $10k for parts and labor. Also youll be without a car for several months as these engines are on backorder. You're in a lose lose situation wether you trade or gamble keeping. Id buy an aftermarket warrany ASAP or pick your poison.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #19
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZgo View Post
A quick search and you shall find. You're into the danger zone with this car at that mileage. Two things I'd suggest: sell the car yourself for $12k-15k cutting your losses and lick your wounds -or- spend another $3k-5K for a really good warranty (one that does cover hoses specifically) and enjoy the car...the times it's not in the shop that is.

Otherwise, likely worst case is your engine goes and likely best case is you get endlessly bent-over every few months for $2k-5k in repairs.
Reason why I will never buy a 550i n63 even the n63tu has massive issues.

I understand they make massive power but they also come with massive issues.

My brothers dealership got the new m550s with 6k miles having issues.

Good luck, I would say sell it private and get ride of the problem or you will end up spending more money in repairs than the car's worth.
Appreciate 2
Kyngofpop676.00
RMNB365.00
      02-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #20
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

this is exactly why im done with BMW V8s after I get rid of my 550 and going back "Murican" lol

M550s look nice, but them problems, Im not bout that life.
Thought about going the F10 M5 route, but all Im reading are bent rods issues

These vehicles nowdays are built to service. smh

Last edited by 535_BiTurbo; 02-12-2019 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      02-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #21
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post
Dear Lord, you're about to go thru EXACTLY what I went thru...I feel for ya man. I too made the mistake Of buying with no warranty and had issues from day one and it just got worse every day. Check my threads on my saga and be very afraid of these cars...
What did you end up doing with your car?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 04:57 PM   #22
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535_BiTurbo View Post
this is exactly why im done with BMW V8s after I get rid of my 550 and going back "Murican" lol

M550s look nice, but them problems, Im not bout that life.
Thought about going the F10 M5 route, but all Im reading are bent rods issues

These vehicles nowdays are built to service. smh
550s are good lease car but not a good owners car.
Appreciate 3
Kyngofpop676.00
RMNB365.00