2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Cornering light replacement - help needed

03-18-2016, 04:25 PM   #1
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Cornering light replacement - help needed

OK, exactly 1 week after my extended warranty expired my right cornering light failed ;-) I got a dash check control message. I checked and indeed the bulb is dead (at least I hope it's just the bulb) - when I turn the wheel all the way to the left the lamp comes on, the right one doesn't. So:

1. Can anyone help my with the P/N? I checked realoem but I'm still confused - I don't need to change my main headlight lamp (I've got bi-xenons), since it works.

2. Is it an easy DIY? Any guide? I've never done this before, but if it's an easy job and there's low risk of getting myself electrocuted after some decent on-line education, I'd give it a try. Otherwise it's off to the shop.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #2
Aaron@Autosource
Rep
Drives: F110/F22

It's been a while since Ive had my Prelci but if I remember correctly:

Prelci with bixenon:
Pop the hood, open the 2 covers, one above each headlamp. The cornering lamps are accessible from the top of the headlamps, just twist open the cap/seal. Each side takes one H7 bulb. That should be it.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2016, 04:28 AM   #3
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron@Autosource View Post
It's been a while since Ive had my Prelci but if I remember correctly:

Prelci with bixenon:
Pop the hood, open the 2 covers, one above each headlamp. The cornering lamps are accessible from the top of the headlamps, just twist open the cap/seal. Each side takes one H7 bulb. That should be it.
Thanks man. Yeah, I think it's an H7 (strangely ISTA and some other sites say it's an H3 halogen?). I'll get 2x Osrams and will replace both. You're right it should be rather simple - I was afraid I'd have to remove the Xenon ballast and the whole assembly, but it looks like the cornering lights are easier (at least in theory let's see in practice).
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a car

One my wife's car with adaptive bi-xenon the H7 cornering bulbs were held secure by two T25 torx screws. You'll need a small 90 degree tool to access them, good luck!
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #5
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

OK, thanks guys - done. Took me about 15 minutes. As stated above - open flaps, remove caps, find someone with small hands, unscrew the bulbs, replace, screw back (<- this is the most annoying part), done. On my F10 there was no need to remove any torx screws (unless you're removing the socket, which I hope you're not)

Some photos of the 5 year old OEM halogens - one was blown, the other still working but pretty blackened:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...k0&usp=sharing
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breach View Post
OK, thanks guys - done. Took me about 15 minutes. As stated above - open flaps, remove caps, find someone with small hands, unscrew the bulbs, replace, screw back (<- this is the most annoying part), done. On my F10 there was no need to remove any torx screws (unless you're removing the socket, which I hope you're not)

Some photos of the 5 year old OEM halogens - one was blown, the other still working but pretty blackened:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...k0&usp=sharing
Hi Breach. Question about how you removed your cornering light. Did it look like this?" (Pic attached). I have two torx screws but you mention these don't need removal. Do you just twist the black part where the wires are attached or are their clips that need to be released?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #7
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3n0m View Post
Hi Breach. Question about how you removed your cornering light. Did it look like this?" (Pic attached). I have two torx screws but you mention these don't need removal. Do you just twist the black part where the wires are attached or are their clips that need to be released?
Hmmm not sure, was a while ago... In my case I didn't have to remove any screws, just grasp and rotate then pull out. But I have a pre-LCI - maybe things changed.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3985 View Post
One my wife's car with adaptive bi-xenon the H7 cornering bulbs were held secure by two T25 torx screws. You'll need a small 90 degree tool to access them, good luck!
What year was your wifes car? I have those two 90mm torx screws as well and they're a PITA to take out. What tool did you use?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #9
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
How did you end up removing this?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
Aaron@Autosource
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTF10 View Post
You don't need to remove the screws-
Grab the bulb and twist it counterclockwise.
It's as weird design, but once you pull it out you will see how to put it back in. Takes a damn lot of fidgeting but it will come out/go back in the same way. GL.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #11
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron@Autosource View Post
Quote:
You don't need to remove the screws-
Grab the bulb and twist it counterclockwise.
It's as weird design, but once you pull it out you will see how to put it back in. Takes a damn lot of fidgeting but it will come out/go back in the same way. GL.
I tried that with all my might but looking at the torx screws it looks like it legitimately holds it in place.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #12
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
What year was your wifes car? I have those two 90mm torx screws as well and they're a PITA to take out. What tool did you use?
2013 and used a 90 degree mini screw driver from Harbor Freight.

To the people able to twist the bulb out, maybe yours are not H7. If it is then caveat emptor because H7 is not like 9006 type bulbs that are meant to be twisted lol...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #13
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
2013 and used a 90 degree mini screw driver from Harbor Freight.

To the people able to twist the bulb out, maybe yours are not H7. If it is then caveat emptor because H7 is not like 9006 type bulbs that are meant to be twisted lol...
And was it fairly easy to install the new bulbs using the same tool? Or since I'm using a new H7 bulb that doesn't have screw holes do I not need to re screw the torx screws in?

Also, did you use a LED replacement?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #14
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
And was it fairly easy to install the new bulbs using the same tool? Or since I'm using a new H7 bulb that doesn't have screw holes do I not need to re screw the torx screws in?

No I switched her bulbs to 3000K halogen to match her fog lights.

The H7 bulbs do not have screw holes, the torx screws are meant to clamp down the bulb by its side.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #15
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The H7 bulbs do not have screw holes, the torx screws are meant to clamp down the bulb by its side.
Just ordered a 90 degree T25 from Amazon. Wish me luck lol
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #16
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No need to remove any screws. You're probably grabbing the securing bracket. You just twist to remove.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #17
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No need to remove any screws. You're probably grabbing the securing bracket. You just twist to remove.
What part did you grab? The black with the wiring? I'm twisting it with no luck what so ever. The photo you posted is exactly how mine looks with the two torx screws. One top one bottom
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #18
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What part did you grab? The black with the wiring? I'm twisting it with no luck what so ever. The photo you posted is exactly how mine looks with the two torx screws. One top one bottom
The black or metal part. See that torx screw? It isn't actually connected through the metal plate. There's a gap, and the torx doesn't hold the thin metal plate attached to the black connector. Try twisting both ways. I don't recall which way to turn and it might have been opposite direction.
Appreciate 1
AMT92389.50
      05-12-2017, 11:07 PM   #19
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The black or metal part. See that torx screw? It isn't actually connected through the metal plate. There's a gap, and the torx doesn't hold the thin metal plate attached to the black connector. Try twisting both ways. I don't recall which way to turn and it might have been opposite direction.
If you look closely at my photo, the torx screw merely acts as a stop. You'll notice to the left of the screw there's a raised metal edge which stops the holder from rotating. So in the picture you twist counter clockwise. Hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 1
AMT92389.50
      05-13-2017, 03:17 AM   #20
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you look closely at my photo, the torx screw merely acts as a stop. You'll notice to the left of the screw there's a raised metal edge which stops the holder from rotating. So in the picture you twist counter clockwise. Hope that makes sense.
Yeah makes sense. Mine really just won't turn at all. I might have to use pliers on these suckers.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #21
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
You're the man!

I got these done and couldn't be happier. Thanks for saving me the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #22
Aaron@Autosource
Rep

Quote:
You're the man!

I got these done and couldn't be happier. Thanks for saving me the hassle.
For future reference..
It's obvious H7 doesnt have screw holes.
However there is a bracket that goes onto the H7 bulb for our cars. That is what is secured by the torx screws. Twist, not screwed on.

Appreciate 1
AMT92389.50