2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Still hesitant to fit VRSF downpipe due to no mounts

09-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Still hesitant to fit VRSF downpipe due to no mounts

I've had a VRSF downpipe in the box for about 4 months. I'm still a little hesitant to fit it being a bit of a known cheapo product and no mounts. I'm kinda regretting not spending the extra couple of hundred on an AR design.

Has anyone on here fitted a VRSF downpipe themselves? How well does everything line up?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
I've had a VRSF downpipe in the box for about 4 months. I'm still a little hesitant to fit it being a bit of a known cheapo product and no mounts. I'm kinda regretting not spending the extra couple of hundred on an AR design.

Has anyone on here fitted a VRSF downpipe themselves? How well does everything line up?
Not having support brackets never gave me an issue it just never seated properly. The stock clamp doesn't tighten enough from the exhaust side making smell and sound undesirable.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

I never heard of VRSF being a cheap product
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/F25 M-sport

I had similar concerns with not having the mounting brackets. I have had no issues since installing the vrsf one.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #5
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
They are. Noooo doubt about it. Thankfully most of their stuff fits OK.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
VRSF is the Honda Civic of tuner parts. Fit and finish is mediocre, if you've never had or installed better you'll probably be happy but when you're a professional installer VRSF means its going to take more time than it should to fight it into the car.

Why people will buy a premium performance car and then seek out the cheapest accessories for it is beyond me. If VRSF is your mod budget you purchased the wrong car.
Appreciate 2
5soko332.00
      09-06-2018, 04:03 PM   #7
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
Why people will buy a premium performance car and then seek out the cheapest accessories for it is beyond me. If VRSF is your mod budget you purchased the wrong car.
I agree generally. This is my first VRSF product. My 335i before this had mostly premium products. The Nissans before that mostly premium Japanese products. Modding is a HUGE money pit. This 535 is still possibly just going to be a 2-ish year stop-gap for me until 340i Tourings are hopefully allowed to be imported used into Australia late next year and I'll return the 535i (downpipe being the only mod) to stock and sell it. N55 downpipes are EXTREMELY overpriced for what they are. Then there is the wife saying do not spend money on mods for this car. For this reason and the fact that it's just a couple of bends, I was not going to pay AU$1100 shipped for a pipe with 2 bends, 2 bungs and a V-band. I'll take my chances with VRSF for the first time this time.

I might be doing an EWG conversion anyway so might consider other downpipe brands for that and sell the VRSF brand new in box.

Last edited by bradsm87; 09-06-2018 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #8
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

I gutted the oem DP...

I got the two mounts, perfect fitment onto the turbo housing, the clamp installed perfect,
flex section, and install fit into the oem exhaust on..

After market DP's either have no mounts, no flex section, dont fit right, dont fit onto turbo correctly and cause putting the clamp on to be a PIA and or dont slide into the oem exhaust correctly.
      09-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #9
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
I gutted the oem DP...

I got the two mounts, perfect fitment onto the turbo housing, the clamp installed perfect,

After market DP's either have no mounts, no flex section, dont fit right, dont fit onto turbo correctly and cause putting the clamp on to be a PIA and or dont slide into the oem exhaust correctly.
I've seen too many cars with performance loss and annoying noises from the big chamber and drastic diameter changes to do that. That and I would have nothing to make it legal come sale time.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:38 AM   #10
Charter23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xdrive

Garage List
Buy a second OEM downpipe and gut it. It is easy to do. OEM fit with OEM mounts = no brainer.

Plenty of tutorials and write ups in the M5 forum. Just do a search for gutted downpipe.
      09-07-2018, 06:45 AM   #11
Charter23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:

I've seen too many cars with performance loss and annoying noises from the big chamber and drastic diameter changes to do that.

Lol! Post that comment in the M5 forum and see what those guys say. Gutting OEM is common practice over there.

I find that most people who say gutting OEM is bad usually sell aftermarket downpipes.
      09-07-2018, 07:09 AM   #12
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I gutted the oem DP...

I've seen too many cars with performance loss and annoying noises from the big chamber and drastic diameter changes to do that. That and I would have nothing to make it legal come sale time.
Quote:
Quote:
I gutted the oem DP...

All myths and 1000% false.

My car sounds like any normal catless N55 and the performance is great as is all my datalogs, along with the numerous N55 cars i have raced..
More then likely vendors making up these myths for sales..
I bought a oem DP off ebay for cheap.. install time was a piece of cake since the fitment was spot on.
      09-07-2018, 07:11 AM   #13
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter23 View Post
Quote:

I've seen too many cars with performance loss and annoying noises from the big chamber and drastic diameter changes to do that.

Lol! Post that comment in the M5 forum and see what those guys say. Gutting OEM is common practice over there.

I find that most people who say gutting OEM is bad usually sell aftermarket downpipes.
Quote:
Quote:
I gutted the oem DP...

Quote:
Buy a second OEM downpipe and gut it. It is easy to do. OEM fit with OEM mounts = no brainer.

Plenty of tutorials and write ups in the M5 forum. Just do a search for gutted downpipe.
Quote:
Quote:

100% agree and accurate.. im very picky with my mods but with the lack of proper aftermarket DP's for us, i went this route and i honestly couldnt be happier.
      10-08-2018, 11:22 PM   #14
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:

We've put over 70k miles on our N63 shop car with our downpipe, front facing intake, intercooler and muffler delete so far without issue. Every N63 has multiple exhaust brackets less than a few inches from the brackets. For reference the N54 has 3 exhaust brackets total and EVERY popular N54 downpipe eliminates one of these brackets. Keep in mind there has not been one documented case of a simple bracket causing any immediate problems or creating any long term issues on any N54, N55, N63 or S63.

We offer a lifetime guarantee against defects and fitment for this exact reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90705 View Post
I had similar concerns with not having the mounting brackets. I have had no issues since installing the vrsf one.
Thanks for the support, we greatly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to be part of your build.

To add to your point, you are one of over literally dozens of customers who have successfully installed our downpipes on a N63. Thanks again for the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
VRSF is the Honda Civic of tuner parts. Fit and finish is mediocre, if you've never had or installed better you'll probably be happy but when you're a professional installer VRSF means its going to take more time than it should to fight it into the car.

I would love the opportunity to get one of our products in your hands. While you are entitled to your opinion, I can personally guarantee that you would change your mind after seeing the product in person rather than making an assumption based on price. People tend to make the mistake of associating a product's price with it's quality but we've proven time and time again that we can provide a product that not only meets the quality standards of the more expensive brands but we also exceed them for a fraction of the price.

We've been in the turbo BMW market for about 10 years now and our reputation for both quality and customer service speak for themselves between the thousands of positive N54/N55/S55 VRSF product reviews as well as the dozens of record breaking builds we've been a part of. eBay is the Honda Civic of this market. We're just out here to provide high quality parts without the BMW tax.

Quote:
I agree generally. This is my first VRSF product. My 335i before this had mostly premium products. The Nissans before that mostly premium Japanese products. Modding is a HUGE money pit. This 535 is still possibly just going to be a 2-ish year stop-gap for me until 340i Tourings are hopefully allowed to be imported used into Australia late next year and I'll return the 535i (downpipe being the only mod) to stock and sell it. N55 downpipes are EXTREMELY overpriced for what they are. Then there is the wife saying do not spend money on mods for this car. For this reason and the fact that it's just a couple of bends, I was not going to pay AU$1100 shipped for a pipe with 2 bends, 2 bungs and a V-band. I'll take my chances with VRSF for the first time this time.

I might be doing an EWG conversion anyway so might consider other downpipe brands for that and sell the VRSF brand new in box.
We have an EWG option on the way and I'd be more than happy to set you up with a set with a discounted set with our return customer discount when you're ready

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 10-08-2018 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 11:49 PM   #15
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
We've put over 70k miles on our N63 shop car with our downpipe, front facing intake, intercooler and muffler delete so far without issue. Every N63 has multiple exhaust brackets less than a few inches from the brackets. For reference the N54 has 3 exhaust brackets total and EVERY popular N54 downpipe eliminates one of these brackets. Keep in mind there has not been one documented case of a simple bracket causing any immediate problems or creating any long term issues on any N54, N55, N63 or S63.
Mine is an N55.

After seeing several reports of the F1x PWG 535i VRSF catless downpipe either not sealing or being too short and needing to push the exhaust forward to fit, I'm still feeling that I've made a mistake and don't want to risk paying the labour only to experience the same issues.

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1516409
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:13 AM   #16
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
To be fair we've sold quite a few of these along with many of our dealers (XPH, TGS, N54 Tuning, etc..) and this is the first reported issue I've seen where a customer has had issues with sealing or the downpipe being "too short". I'll be more than happy to contact the customer directly and resolve the issue but I can assure you that we would have revised the product already if a fitment issue existed

Generally when we get e-mails with this type of fitment issue it's one of two things. The slip fit end of the pipe was damaged in shipping and is out of round (incredibly rare) or the installer tightened the v-band @ the turbo before properly clocking the downpipe (very common with inexperienced installers).

Each and every product is subjected to multiple fitment tests on our jigs before they're boxed up in order to avoid this exact issue and use the latest 3d scanning technology to confirm these jigs conform to our tolerances.

But like I previously mentioned, mistakes can happen and although they are very rare they can happen to any company. In a case where a customer might have an issue with our product, we'd be more than happy to offer up a replacement via expedited shipping so they wouldn't have to waste that labor charge
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:47 AM   #17
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
we'd be more than happy to offer up a replacement via expedited shipping so they wouldn't have to waste that labor charge
Well I'm in Australia and the workshop would not have the parking space to store the car while waiting for a replacement so how would the labour charge not be wasted?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:50 AM   #18
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well I'm in Australia and the workshop would not have the parking space to store the car while waiting for a replacement so how would the labour charge not be wasted?
We ship to Australia via FedEx Priority International standard which takes 1-2 business days when selecting the least expensive shipping option on our website.

Neither you nor your workshop would have to worry about that issue
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #19
MOBF10
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

I think I may actually go the oem gutted route as well seeing how I live in cali and if I got pulled over I would pass any kind of visual inspection.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

+1 for VRSF fitment and quality

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0