2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications How many F10 N55 owners had a charge pipe cracks?

01-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #67
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
I personally haven't witnessed any issues with my 535, but a friend with a 435 had his chargepipe blow apart with only 25,000 miles and the only mod was a sport cat downpipe. I know they are different chargepipe designs, but I still think it's a smart idea to replace the stock one with an aluminum aftermarket one for peace of mind.
Were only that an option in The People's Republik of Kommiefornya...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #68
Shieldze1025
Keepin' America Free
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

FWIW, our local club has seen half a dozen of the charge pipes fail on N55's between different series.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"
-Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #69
w1zk1d
Just here to learn.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i xDrive

Does this void any warranty if installed?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #70
Freak1c
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP MW

In the process of changing out my charge pipe for a for an aftermarket CP I broke the stock pipe trying to remove the vacuum line. The entire connector just broke off the CP. It very clear that the stock CP is very brittle.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 05:51 PM   #71
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak1c View Post
In the process of changing out my charge pipe for a for an aftermarket CP I broke the stock pipe trying to remove the vacuum line. The entire connector just broke off the CP. It very clear that the stock CP is very brittle.
Make sure it has a CARB sticker before you go in for a smog check. ANY intake "modification" without the CARB sticker will be an immediate failure. If your new CP (intake) doesn't come with a CARB sticker, have a stock CP on hand for the smog check. Side note... Just got the registration notice for my 2014 535i. Even though a smog check should be required, a new law says all I need to do to is pay a $20 smog check fee; without getting a smog check! Can't tell me it's about mitigating pollution!!

Been there (not BMW), done that, had to reinstall the entire factory intake...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #72
Phiwee
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Sorry to bump such an old thread.

It was a pain the a$$ to get the charge pipe in. Honestly shoulda just went with ER brand if Goes in as easily as Bryan@Kies.
How necessary is putting the rubber o ring inside? I even tried lubing it up as someone mentioned on new pipe and still wouldn’t go in. But without the o ring inside it went on so easily?!
It still feels super tight and secure with the clamp on the shell.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #73
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

I'm thinking that you'll definitely be needing any O-rings. My FTP installed OK. Because of something stupid I did, I had to do the process twice. The first time went super easy. The second time, for whatever reason, I seemed to scratch the new CP against more things. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #74
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiwee View Post

It was a pain the a$$ to get the charge pipe in. Honestly shoulda just went with ER brand if Goes in as easily as Bryan@Kies.
How necessary is putting the rubber o ring inside? I even tried lubing it up as someone mentioned on new pipe and still wouldn’t go in. But without the o ring inside it went on so easily?!
You'll get boost leaks without the O ring.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #75
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:

i went VRSF and had issues installing it. that was only because i was being a girl when trying to get the CP to slide on. stood on the motor with my knee and yanked up really hard and it popped into place to where i was able to get the c-clip in place.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #76
Phiwee
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:

How necessary is putting the rubber o ring inside? I even tried lubing it up as someone mentioned on new pipe and still wouldn't go in. But without the o ring inside it went on so easily?!
i went VRSF and had issues installing it. that was only because i was being a girl when trying to get the CP to slide on. stood on the motor with my knee and yanked up really hard and it popped into place to where i was able to get the c-clip in place.
LOL! Man how did you even get up on the engine with the hood being there
I finally got it in too, shoulda went with ER! But I was being cheap because it was cheaper :
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 11:37 PM   #77
aumazdelete
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535 xi

This literally has to be the worst install ever!!! It took me 30 mins to get everything off and prepared. I have been trying to get that top end into the throttle body for the last 5 hours. Waiting for my friend to get here and I’ll have him pull while I pushed against the charge pipe and hopefully it snaps into place. I have tried VASELINE like the countless YouTube comments said to Lmao. I even swapped the old O ring into the new charge pipe and it still will not click. What the hell I should’ve read these reviews about the VRSF charge pipe before purchasing it. The other brand seems to click in right away
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 01:37 AM   #78
aumazdelete
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535 xi

Quote:
Quote:

How necessary is putting the rubber o ring inside? I even tried lubing it up as someone mentioned on new pipe and still wouldn't go in. But without the o ring inside it went on so easily?!
I kid you not I read this post … decided alright going to get on the motor lmao and just yanked the charge pipe as hard as I could and then it finally snapped on… greatest click I've ever heard .
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2022, 07:23 AM   #79
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaz_ View Post
I kid you not I read this post … decided alright going to get on the motor lmao and just yanked the charge pipe as hard as I could and then it finally snapped on… greatest click I've ever heard .
dude LOL! It was music to my hears when i heard the CLICK
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 12:55 PM   #80
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dude LOL! It was music to my hears when i heard the CLICK
Speaking of "click," any of you guys watch Rainman Ray's Repairs on the youtube? Every time I tighten a nut, bolt or screw now I say "click" when it's tight enough! Does that make me a groupee?
Appreciate 0