2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications How many liters used in a ZF 8hp fluid drain/fill?

02-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #1
neejay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M-Sport

How many liters used in a ZF 8hp fluid drain/fill?

I did the drain/fill per ZF instructions, but the problem I had was while waiting for the fluid to get to operating temp, I couldn't manually shift the gears. I went through gears R-D several times, but when I tried to manually use my paddle shifters and manual S shifting, the gear kept going back to "M2"...I'm not sure if it's because of me having xHP flashed, or what.

Anyway, I ended up using about 4 liters, did the warm up + minimal shifting, checked again and only used an additional 2/3 liter, for a total of about 4 2/3 liter.

Do I need to flash back to the stock transmission firmware + attempt to re-do the warm-up procedure again, or is 4-5 liters normal?
      02-12-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by neejay View Post
I did the drain/fill per ZF instructions, but the problem I had was while waiting for the fluid to get to operating temp, I couldn't manually shift the gears. I went through gears R-D several times, but when I tried to manually use my paddle shifters and manual S shifting, the gear kept going back to "M2"...I'm not sure if it's because of me having xHP flashed, or what.

Anyway, I ended up using about 4 liters, did the warm up + minimal shifting, checked again and only used an additional 2/3 liter, for a total of about 4 2/3 liter.

Do I need to flash back to the stock transmission firmware + attempt to re-do the warm-up procedure again, or is 4-5 liters normal?
A couple of questions come to my mind:

1/ How much did you take out? That should be a guide as to what's reasonable to put back in unless your level was way off.

2/ As another "check of reasonableness" (not a word, I know) the FCP Euro kit at includes 7L of fluid. If you were closer to 5L put in that might be reasonable. If I were FCP, I would assemble the kit with some room for error and spills.

3/ This document is straight from ZF - not sure if this was the one you were using. You'll notice the flow chart says "D1 and D2". https://www.zf.com/global/media/medi...P_50130_EN.pdf

4/ Was the car free-wheeling in the air or parked wheels down on a lift or something. You cannot access any gears other than M1 and M2 when stationary because you cannot launch from a start higher than 2. If the drivetrain isn't spinning up like you're on the road, the same behaviour should apply. I wouldn't be concerned about that.

5/ I'm planning to get xHP too Hope you're liking it.

6/ Found a document on TIS which says total capacity is 8.5L. To me, that seems low, but I'm not sure what else to say. If you've changed over half just by dropping the pan, that sounds good. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ssion/CNF80BK6
Appreciate 1
neejay7.00
      02-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
neejay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M-Sport

Surly73: A couple of questions come to my mind:

1/ How much did you take out? That should be a guide as to what's reasonable to put back in unless your level was way off.

Sadly, I didn't think to measure until after I realized I'd mixed it with some old engine oil.

2/ As another "check of reasonableness" (not a word, I know) the FCP Euro kit at includes 7L of fluid. If you were closer to 5L put in that might be reasonable. If I were FCP, I would assemble the kit with some room for error and spills.

So, something else I realized was that I only received 6 bottles. I also JUST read reviews on the kit I purchased page, and the 2 reviewers said they only drained/needed 5 liters https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...2901kt#reviews

3/ This document is straight from ZF - not sure if this was the one you were using. You'll notice the flow chart says "D1 and D2". https://www.zf.com/global/media/medi...P_50130_EN.pdf

That was NOT the one I was using, but thanks a lot for that...seems like I did enough then!

4/ Was the car free-wheeling in the air or parked wheels down on a lift or something. You cannot access any gears other than M1 and M2 when stationary because you cannot launch from a start higher than 2. If the drivetrain isn't spinning up like you're on the road, the same behaviour should apply. I wouldn't be concerned about that.

Parked, wheels down. Makes sense...in my panic, I didn't think about that.

5/ I'm planning to get xHP too Hope you're liking it.

I am! xHP was part of the reason I made sure to do this drain/fill! I don't "need" to be in Sport mode anymore.

6/ Found a document on TIS which says total capacity is 8.5L. To me, that seems low, but I'm not sure what else to say. If you've changed over half just by dropping the pan, that sounds good. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ssion/CNF80BK6

Thanks a bunch man, I really appreciate the feedback and assistance!
      02-14-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

When I changed my transmission fluid, I believe I drained and refilled approx 5.5 liters.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 06:02 AM   #5
924845192@qq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

When I changed my transmission fluid, I did not remove the transmission oil sump.I believe I drained and refilled approx 4.8 liters.
Appreciate 0