2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Base Stereo audio upgrade guide for BMW F10/F11

09-03-2021, 02:33 PM   #23
ECR33
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsym View Post
Hi, I’ll be embarking on the set up this weekend after gathering the last bits of components. Would appreciate if you could help me out with a few more questions:

1. Input mode should be set to high, and autosense set to BTL, is that correct?

2. What do you have your input sensitivity level set at?

3. Do you mind sharing your DSP tuned settings as a file? I understand that every speaker is different but I suppose that would be a very good starting point.
1: Correct. Set the amplifier to Hi-Input and autosense to BTL.

2: I don't recall. About 60-70% IIRC? There's a ton of guides on how to set up gain. Gladen even has their own quick guide and test signals ready for download here.. I turned it down quite a bit as to not overwhelm the rear speakers. I recommend setting the gain correctly by either using Gladens guide or perhaps even an oscilloscope if you can get your hands on one? Either way there's a ton of help online. Fingers crossed you don't fry your OEM speakers

3: I have some files on my workshop laptop, but to be honest I have not set my DSP profiles up very nicely. I'd rather not share them as they are not perfect in any way.
I recommend you start by setting up your crossovers and gain and leave the equalizer alone. Listen to some music and see if you like it or not. Pay attention to the crossover "points" you've set and make sure there aren't any "gaps" in the crossovers between your speakers, or if there's points where the music gets too loud/muddy because you have the filters overlapping too much. If you're wondering how to set up your crossovers there's already a ton of guides online. It's rather easy IMO.
After this you can try and tune your DSP by equalizing the signal by ear, but whether you can do this or not varies from person to person. It takes practice and some people can never learn to do it. I am not especially good at it.
I recommend you get your system tuned with an RTA microphone when you have your upgraded speakers installed and your upgrade is done.

Tuning a sound system is a very deep subject which can get extremely technical. If you're interested in learning how to tune your DSP yourself I recommend searching audio forums dedicated to this endeavor. I spent several evenings on different forums trying to learn how to tune my sound system. In the end I found that I needed a proper RTA microphone, some software (IE Room EQ Wizard) and a lot of time. Another possibility is to pay someone who has the equipment and experience already.
I haven't done either yet as I am very happy with my sound system as it is.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 09:34 AM   #24
lsym
Registered
Rep
Drives: f10

Spent Saturday night running the harness and Sunday morning installing the amp. Well worth the effort and nicks on my hands even though I had the trim removal tools. I would say the improvement in clarity and richness is significant, but there indeed seems to be a lack of bass. I'll play around with the equaliser to try to get the most out of the stock speakers in the meantime and stay on the lookout for aftermarket ones. Thanks once again for your well written guide and informative replies!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 12:59 AM   #25
mrminivee
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

Thanks for the write-up. Ended up going the Bimmertech route as they provide everything for the base model (bracket, harnesses etc) May not be the best available, but I was looking at over $1000 for just an AMP, then I'd have to get all the rest.

Should be arriving tomorrow, hoping to install this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 01:41 AM   #26
Tony 5
Finland
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI & Supra mk4 single/6mt

I have F11 -15 LCI with base stereo, sound is pretty poor.

If I add tweetters, is OEM harnes for those allready there?

>after adding tweetter, code on Bimmer Code base stereo to hifi (change EQ)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 06:17 AM   #27
johny76239
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Thank you for the guide!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 08:06 PM   #28
deanchen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 5 Series

Would you suggest that I upgrade the amplifier without the speakers if I already have the hifi system?
Appreciate 0