2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Tune question.

01-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Currently I own a 2011 535i xdrive 91k miles, what are some ways I can check my engine if its healthy enough to withstand tuning? As far as compression test What are good values?
      01-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
N55shack
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrNinja View Post
Currently I own a 2011 535i xdrive 91k miles, what are some ways I can check my engine if its healthy enough to withstand tuning? As far as compression test What are good values?
I currently own a 2011 535i around 67k and I just put the jb4 on mine and gutted my cat. Resonator and muffler delete I did when I first got the car. It's very responsive and runs very well BUT I have a boost leak!! Not sure how the compression test should look but I'm pretty sure it's the boost solenoid that's going bad. Definitely would suggest getting a better than stock charge pipe if you intend on cranking the boost up. I'm going to get a VRSF cp for mine here soon because the stock ones are very weak and the coupling on them sucks. Sorry I'm not any help on the compression test but figured this might help out a little. Good luck on the build man!👍🏼
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja430.50
      01-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55shack View Post
Quote:
I currently own a 2011 535i around 67k and I just put the jb4 on mine and gutted my cat. Resonator and muffler delete I did when I first got the car. It's very responsive and runs very well BUT I have a boost leak!! Not sure how the compression test should look but I'm pretty sure it's the boost solenoid that's going bad. Definitely would suggest getting a better than stock charge pipe if you intend on cranking the boost up. I'm going to get a VRSF cp for mine here soon because the stock ones are very weak and the coupling on them sucks. Sorry I'm not any help on the compression test but figured this might help out a little. Good luck on the build man!👍🏼
Omg dude I think I might have the same thing with my car I think it's a boost leak what codes are showing up ?
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I currently own a 2011 535i around 67k and I just put the jb4 on mine and gutted my cat. Resonator and muffler delete I did when I first got the car. It's very responsive and runs very well BUT I have a boost leak!! Not sure how the compression test should look but I'm pretty sure it's the boost solenoid that's going bad. Definitely would suggest getting a better than stock charge pipe if you intend on cranking the boost up. I'm going to get a VRSF cp for mine here soon because the stock ones are very weak and the coupling on them sucks. Sorry I'm not any help on the compression test but figured this might help out a little. Good luck on the build man!
Im just curious at the moment of my engine health before upgrading. Then will look into better intercooler, charge pipe and such. Thanks for tips.
      01-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
N55shack
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonobro View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Omg dude I think I might have the same thing with my car I think it's a boost leak what codes are showing up ?
I'm 90% sure it's the boost solenoid, my boost is super inconsistent and I get the drivetrain malfunction pop up when I WOT. I'm getting codes:
122108 - BOV plausibility
120308 - Boost pressure lower than expected
108F01 - Boost pressure lower than expected

Let me know what all is going on with yours and maybe we can get it figured out
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 08:06 PM   #6
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm 90% sure it's the boost solenoid, my boost is super inconsistent and I get the drivetrain malfunction pop up when I WOT. I'm getting codes:
122108 - BOV plausibility
120308 - Boost pressure lower than expected
108F01 - Boost pressure lower than expected

Let me know what all is going on with yours and maybe we can get it figured out
Im getting these :/
I have dp and cp with m performance exhaust, today I smelt like something burning but no smell when I popped the hood only inside the car
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-26-2019, 08:09 PM   #7
gabypr
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2015 F10 535i

Garage List
Mixture too lean could be a leak. I had that same error and was a pipe that had an air leak. The smoke test find it and the performance shop tightened the pipe and now no more errors.

CQuartz UK 3 Ceramic Coating | GeoShield Pronano 50% Ceramic Window Film | M5 M Perf Steering Wheel | M6 Comp Pkg Mufflers | M Perf Floor Mats | CF Spoiler | RW CF Quad Setup Diffuser | RW CF Front Lip | CF Trim | BMW Interior Leds | M5 343 Wheels | Pure Stg 2 Turbo

Last edited by gabypr; 01-26-2019 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2019, 08:21 PM   #8
N55shack
Rep

I work at firestone as a mechanic, was planning on smoke test tomorrow. Hopefully that'll find my problem, if not then it's more than likely the boost solenoid.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #9
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabypr View Post
Mixture too lean could be a leak. I had that same error and was a pipe that had an air leak. The smoke test find it and the performance shop tightened the pipe and now no more errors.
I think it is a leak near my intake bc that's where I was hearing a sound a few days ago, the sound went away but that's what it seemed like, what do you recommend I do ? Would hate to take it somewhere to run diagnostics when I have ISTA myself to see what exactly is wrong haha
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #10
gabypr
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think it is a leak near my intake bc that's where I was hearing a sound a few days ago, the sound went away but that's what it seemed like, what do you recommend I do ? Would hate to take it somewhere to run diagnostics when I have ISTA myself to see what exactly is wrong haha
The problem is that the leak could be in many places. A performance shop using the smoke test can detect it and fix it easily. Im not a mechanic so I cant give you any other recommendation sorry.

CQuartz UK 3 Ceramic Coating | GeoShield Pronano 50% Ceramic Window Film | M5 M Perf Steering Wheel | M6 Comp Pkg Mufflers | M Perf Floor Mats | CF Spoiler | RW CF Quad Setup Diffuser | RW CF Front Lip | CF Trim | BMW Interior Leds | M5 343 Wheels | Pure Stg 2 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 09:00 PM   #11
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabypr View Post
Quote:
The problem is that the leak could be in many places. A performance shop using the smoke test can detect it and fix it easily. Im not a mechanic so I cant give you any other recommendation sorry.
Performance shop ? What kind ?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 09:40 PM   #12
gabypr
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think that any performance shop has the smoke machine to detect this type of leak.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
the Boost solenoid is a common failure op. It’s a cheap part and a good idea to swap out. Generally when they fail it isn’t come and go however, atleast it what I’ve seen.
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja430.50
      01-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #14
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Quote:
You’ve gotta be kidding. Take your car to any shop. Any shop will have a smoke machine and do a smoke test for you. Ista cannot help you. Every test plan for the faults you have will instantly prompt you to check for leaks using a smoke tester. You’ve been talking about this for months now. Take everyone’s advice or quit talking about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #15
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyEight740 View Post
Quote:
You’ve gotta be kidding. Take your car to any shop. Any shop will have a smoke machine and do a smoke test for you. Ista cannot help you. Every test plan for the faults you have will instantly prompt you to check for leaks using a smoke tester. You’ve been talking about this for months now. Take everyone’s advice or quit talking about it.
Thanks
Appreciate 0