2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Class action suit.

12-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #1
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 550I, 07 335I,

Apologies if Ive posted my experience before it seemed not to appear on my end.
So I dropped off my 11 550i with 93k to undergo the aux pump recall and to have the first round of oil consumption tests performed at my local BMW dealership. Though I am not a class member on the suit, I do have a class vehicle that falls under the clauses of the suit benefits. I was informed that the oil consumption test consisted of correlating the error codes pulled from the vehicle with the mileage at the times of the events. If their analytics confirm that there is a problem BMW will then issue a ticket order to BMW corporate to initiate a claim for the appropriate repair. Thus far I have not paid anything out of pocket though the SA on duty did offer to do an oil change and vehicle check at cost to me. I found it ironic that they wanted to do an oil change on a vehicle that was being assessed for excessive oil consumption... so I cordially declined. If anything, I do have the pleasure of driving a new 2019 loaner vehicle in the meantime. I will keep the forum abreast with my experience.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      12-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahone View Post
Apologies if Ive posted my experience before it seemed not to appear on my end.
So I dropped off my 11 550i with 93k to undergo the aux pump recall and to have the first round of oil consumption tests performed at my local BMW dealership. Though I am not a class member on the suit, I do have a class vehicle that falls under the clauses of the suit benefits. I was informed that the oil consumption test consisted of correlating the error codes pulled from the vehicle with the mileage at the times of the events. If their analytics confirm that there is a problem BMW will then issue a ticket order to BMW corporate to initiate a claim for the appropriate repair. Thus far I have not paid anything out of pocket though the SA on duty did offer to do an oil change and vehicle check at cost to me. I found it ironic that they wanted to do an oil change on a vehicle that was being assessed for excessive oil consumption... so I cordially declined. If anything, I do have the pleasure of driving a new 2019 loaner vehicle in the meantime. I will keep the forum abreast with my experience.
Do you know what years are under this class action? Hopefully BMW agrees to do repairs. Wish you the best of luck.
      12-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here is a picture of the vehicles affected and thank you for your positive wishes:[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BurrNinja430.50
      12-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update

Well it appears the Master Technicians at my local BMW determined that in fact my vehicle had an oil consumption problem. Yet they could not determine exactly why. The car runs excellent no other codes found. So they are in the process of taking the car apart in order to take pictures of various key components that they will send to corporate. At which point BMW will determine and provide the protocal to carry out the next course of actions. So in the meantime I've been given the use of an extremely lovely vehicle as a daily until the repairs are complete.
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja430.50
      12-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well it appears the Master Technicians at my local BMW determined that in fact my vehicle had an oil consumption problem. Yet they could not determine exactly why. The car runs excellent no other codes found. So they are in the process of taking the car apart in order to take pictures of various key components that they will send to corporate. At which point BMW will determine and provide the protocal to carry out the next course of actions. So in the meantime I've been given the use of an extremely lovely vehicle as a daily until the repairs are complete.
Now are they charging you for pulling apart the effected areas? I was wanting to buy a 550i but hearing all the issues with them I'm not so sure i would purchase one.
      12-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #6
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrNinja View Post
Now are they charging you for pulling apart the effected areas? I was wanting to buy a 550i but hearing all the issues with them I'm not so sure i would purchase one.
From what I gather, since the vehicle had already received the CCP, the dealership is going to inspect the heads, oil return cover, turbos/seals, oil lines and valve guides to identify the source of the leak as the consumption was significant. Since the consumption was validated when t the data pulled from the vehicle, the cost to repair the problem is covered within the outlines BMW agreed to. Truthfully, other then the oil consumption the car ran flawless. So if repairing the valve guides or any other associated component(s) cures the problem, I would be genuinely content. The question is, if there is significant damage or wear identified that BMW deems it appropriate to do an engine replacement? ... now that remains to be seen.
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja430.50
      12-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update
Just received word that the dealership was authorized to repair the valve guides and all associated gaskets/seals. I will not have to pay for any of the repairs. The work is warranted for 2 years or 120k. Oddly though they said it would take three weeks. Also I have a loaner in the meantime. Is three weeks typical for the valve guide repair?
Appreciate 2
Kyngofpop676.00
BurrNinja430.50
      12-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #8
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Update
Just received word that the dealership was authorized to repair the valve guides and all associated gaskets/seals. I will not have to pay for any of the repairs. The work is warranted for 2 years or 120k. Oddly though they said it would take three weeks. Also I have a loaner in the meantime. Is three weeks typical for the valve guide repair?
With the holidays, yes three weeks sounds about right.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #9
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update:2
Was informed by my SA this afternoon that part of my repair will also include the replacement of both turbos and their affiliated lines. This makes more sense to me as the engine other then the oil consumption ran flawless. So by replacing the valve guides, valve cover gaskets and turbos it would fall in line with addressing the most obvious components that would leak oil. When asked about the oil return housing gasket it was explained to me that there was no evidence of leaking there. Though I would have assumed that changing the gasket would be a smart preventative maintenance option. Truth is, I'm satisfied that the turbos are being replaced that I cant validate making it an issue regarding the oil housing. Should I ?
Appreciate 2
Kyngofpop676.00
BurrNinja430.50
      12-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #10
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Update:2
Was informed by my SA this afternoon that part of my repair will also include the replacement of both turbos and their affiliated lines. This makes more sense to me as the engine other then the oil consumption ran flawless. So by replacing the valve guides, valve cover gaskets and turbos it would fall in line with addressing the most obvious components that would leak oil. When asked about the oil return housing gasket it was explained to me that there was no evidence of leaking there. Though I would have assumed that changing the gasket would be a smart preventative maintenance option. Truth is, I'm satisfied that the turbos are being replaced that I cant validate making it an issue regarding the oil housing. Should I ?
Might as well get all gaskets replaced along those areas of repair. It will indeed be better for the future knowing they were replaced. They could wear at any moment after everything repaired/replaced it cant hurt anything only help longevity.
      12-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #11
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

From what Ive read it appears each dealership is taking on a different approach towards fixing these vehicles based on what they think BMW will approve from their assessed repair orders. The dealerships seem to do multiple fixes where BMW will approve for short money, yet avoid doing the big jobs as the cost up front is significant and tend to not get approved. Ironically in the long term the dealerships are making money from corporate by doing these smaller jobs.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #12
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

The SA told me in a nutshell as soon as I got there that the engine would most likely be approved to be replaced because all of the other work going into it was going to be more expensive than just replacing it. That struck me as weird because my engine isn't bad by any means. Idk what they use to judge it but that I'm certain of.
      12-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #13
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Too funny because I got the exact opposite response. I was told that BMW will only approve an engine swap as a last resort. In my case valve guides and turbo replacements were approved.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 06:52 PM   #14
kevinb511
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xdrive

Same experience here. Valve seals and turbos replaced
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 07:49 PM   #15
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Did it resolve your problems?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 09:58 PM   #16
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Heard back from my SA today and he says that BMW wants to replace the engine at a grand total cost to me of $12,000 after them offering $1000 to uphold their part of the lawsuit . I basically wasted mine and their time.

The engine isn't bad, this I know, but the SA said that their engineering department deemed it more responsible to replace the engine instead of the turbos and valve seals since it has over 100k and it was indeed consuming oil based on their consumption tests. In summation I gathered that the life of an N63 is 100k if even that (not fact, just how the guy made it sound and how this all turned out).

I told the SA to see if the car even has any trade in value or am I just driving a lawn ornament that could go at any moment. Idk what to do atm other than figure out my next move and what vehicle to buy next since I'm on borrowed time.
      12-29-2018, 10:09 PM   #17
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Found my receipts from when I took the car in at 105k and complained about "timing chain" noise to which they surmised that it was "normal". The PO complained about this same issue at 72k and they also then said the noise was "normal".

If I'm not mistaken the CCP runs until the 125k mark and I'm at 118k. They're denying my claim for the valve stem seals and recommending "engine replacement" because of the timing chain noise. Wouldn't the CCP cover that?? Each time me and the PO took it in they've said it's "NORMAL, no issues found" but when it comes to the lawsuit the timing chain issue bars me from being included?

Also for the record the previous owner had a claim for oil consumption of 4qts between oil changes and they did various repairs but nothing in the way of replacing the timing chains or valve stem seals? I'm baffled at all of this but am taking all the paper work in that I have when I get a call back.

They sent me home with a 2019 540i that I was drooling over and the SA was going to set me up with a salesperson to see if my car had any trade in-value so that I could take the car that I'm driving instead of replacing my engine...but I don't want to have to replace my car if I don't have to....
Attached Images

12-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #18
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post
That's a little bit of the history of the times I've had it in at the dealers and them telling me things were "normal" and then telling the PO the same thing. Idk wtf to do at this point other than taking all of my paperwork in and escalating this to corporate level...

That's got to be frustrating and sounds like all you can do at this point. If they can't help you I'd Carmax it...not sure if I'd deal with that BMW dealership anymore.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      01-04-2019, 12:17 AM   #19
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update on my case: Got the car back today and had a conference with the dealers GM, the Service Mgr, and the tech that went through and serviced my car. My claim for the valve stem seals was denied because unbeknownst to me there is a slight oil leak from the bell housing and the upper oil pan and that's one caveat of the lawsuit.

While the smoking from the extended idle was present they checked the Turbo's and noticed "slight scratching" was present but there wasn't anything detrimental to the performance or service of the vehicle.

The timing chains were checked again (had them checked at 70k and 105k under the CCP) and they noticed a "slight noise" was present upon startup" but they passed ISTA test several times.

Compression tests on ALL cylinders were performed and revealed the vehicle passed within 10 PSI! Bore Scope on the engine valley revealed no excessive oil buildup at all.

The ISTA showed the previous misfires that were present but I'm aware of that and am attributing that to my HPFP that'll be fixed on my next service.

They ALL reassured me that my vehicle is mechanically SOUND and that my motor isn't going to just randomly die on me. Other than the oil consumption and the two leaks that they found that the car is otherwise ok and I'm kind of secure with that.

I'll admit that all of the stories of N63 horror had me terrified but BMW has really, REALLY ponied up to correct these issues and/or at least address them even at my late mileage (118k). I don't think another manufacturer would even bother, even with the terms of the lawsuit.

Hope this helps someone that's terrified that their car is a pos feel a tad more secure in their ownership.

Good luck...
      01-04-2019, 08:01 AM   #20
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Quote:
Update on my case: Got the car back today and had a conference with the dealers GM, the Service Mgr, and the tech that went through and serviced my car. My claim for the valve stem seals was denied because unbeknownst to me there is a slight oil leak from the bell housing and the upper oil pan and that's one caveat of the lawsuit.

While the smoking from the extended idle was present they checked the Turbo's and noticed "slight scratching" was present but there wasn't anything detrimental to the performance or service of the vehicle.

The timing chains were checked again (had them checked at 70k and 105k under the CCP) and they noticed a "slight noise" was present upon startup" but they passed ISTA test several times.

Compression tests on ALL cylinders were performed and revealed the vehicle passed within 10 PSI! Bore Scope on the engine valley revealed no excessive oil buildup at all.

The ISTA showed the previous misfires that were present but I'm aware of that and am attributing that to my HPFP that'll be fixed on my next service.

They ALL reassured me that my vehicle is mechanically SOUND and that my motor isn't going to just randomly die on me. Other than the oil consumption and the two leaks that they found that the car is otherwise ok and I'm kind of secure with that.

I'll admit that all of the stories of N63 horror had me terrified but BMW has really, REALLY ponied up to correct these issues and/or at least address them even at my late mileage (118k). I don't think another manufacturer would even bother, even with the terms of the lawsuit.

Hope this helps someone that's terrified that their car is a pos feel a tad more secure in their ownership.

Good luck...
It really says something about the N63 when this is considered a positive dealer visit. N63 Stockholm syndrome no doubt. JK Kyngofpop
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      01-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #21
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZgo View Post
Quote:

Good luck...
It really says something about the N63 when this is considered a positive dealer visit. N63 Stockholm syndrome no doubt. JK Kyngofpop
I get what you're saying lol, not a positive experience at all but at least they tried I guess. The N63 has its issues and that's for DAMN sure, I'm not downplaying then by any means. It is rather bizarre their denial was based on something unrelated to the issue...what are ya gna do *shrugs*. I don't intend to keep the car much longer but then again I said that 10k ago.
      01-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #22
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well that still doesnt resolve the issue of the oil consumption will they address that with valve guides etc?
Appreciate 0