2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions N63 fuel injector types, removal, install

07-03-2017, 09:36 AM   #1
QCM5
Rep
Drives: 2011 550

N63 fuel injector types, removal, install

Situation:
Customer Care Package was performed at 40K; car now has 60K. Took the car in to the dealer to diagnose misfires; bank 1 injectors found faulty/leaking. Injectors tested OK at 40K, dealer would not re-perform CCP w/o BMW NA approval. Opened case w/ BMW who offered to defray half the cost (dealer quote $24xx.xx) so I've decided to attempt.

I've been told there are several types of injectors and compatibility is key. I searched and found nothing definitive - anyone have any links/guides? Not sure if the code is based on the part number etc.

I could not find a guide on how to remove/install the injectors but there are copies of the BMW tool out there, examples below. Leaning towards first option.

BMW tool equivalent 0 496 885
http://www.amazon.com/Koch-Tools-KT2.../dp/B01N9SEWPO

Rental of above
http://www.specialtyautotoolrentals....roducts_id=273

http://www.amazon.com/FUEL-INJECTOR-.../dp/B0195QEMS0
"Application: BMW N63 (After Sep,2012) engine" - my car is 3/11 date so this may not work

Not sure about this...very basic
http://www.amazon.com/Fuel-Injector-.../dp/B015QGHZR8

Hoping someone has access to procedural guide. Assuming fuel pressure has to be relieved etc. Have access to an Autologic in case programming/initialization is needed.

Thanks everyone,
-Wes
'11 550i 6spd
'02 M5
'00 M5 (RIP)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #2
Willisodhiambo
Kenya
Rep
Drives: 2010 F10 535i, Most options in

Do you have ISTA? It has a step by step procedure and will be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
Willisodhiambo
Kenya
Rep
Drives: 2010 F10 535i, Most options in

Got interested and did a little reading. It seems the tool is required only if an injector is stuck. Not sure how prevalent a stuck injector is. If being replaced it may not matter much I guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

which tool is required?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
QCM5
Rep
Drives: 2011 550

Update: was able to change one bad injector succesfully. Dealer prescribed changing all Bank 1 injectors and plugs for $2400. I suspected I only needed to change one as only one plug on Bank 1 was fouled and, after I ran ISTA misfire test it was 35,xxx versus 1,2,4 cyls were in the 4-digit or low teen 5-digit values. I was lucky that my 2011 had Index 11 injectors so I only had to change one. Total cost for everything? <$200

- Download a copy of ISTA - search via google you will find multiple links - get the latest 'working' copy. I only had a 256GB SSD on my laptop and with Windows 10 I did not have enough space to store all the files locally so I purchased a 1TB USB3 HD from Best Buy for $50.

- Purchase a BMW ENET cable and a USB<->Ethernet adapter unless your PC has an ethernet port. I got a cable from Amazon (read the reviews!) for $20 and the adapter for another $10. Worth noting the first cable I got only worked a few times and then stopped connecting via ISTA...garbage.

ISTA has a built-in diagnostic for the injectors that will do a leak down test and a more thorough individual exam. This has to be done when the engine is COLD. I did a warm test just to prove this and it told me the entire Bank 1 and one injector from Bank 2 needed to be changed. I did it cold and it only came back with Injector 2.

*** If you have injectors with Index 10 or lower, ISTA advises you will have to replace all injectors in the bank where 1 or more have failed. If you have Index 11 or higher, you can replace one or more single failed injectors.

If you buy injectors from the dealer, use part # 13538648937 which is about half the cost of 13538616079 which is what is listed on RealOEM and the dealer will try to sell you. The dealer will sell the -37 part number as it is a 'saleable' item but was designed to be purchased in sets. FCP Euro has an article on this:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/blog/posts/d...nd-13538616079

Purchase page:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...or-13537585261

There is a guide in ISTA that will walk you through changing injectors. There were numerous steps that I did not find were necessary but I encourage you to follow the procedure closely. The entire process took several hours.

Once you change injector(s), you will need to use ISTA to reset fuel adaptations and also code the new injectors based on the numbers listed on each.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCM5 View Post
Update: was able to change one bad injector succesfully. Dealer prescribed changing all Bank 1 injectors and plugs for $2400. I suspected I only needed to change one as only one plug on Bank 1 was fouled and, after I ran ISTA misfire test it was 35,xxx versus 1,2,4 cyls were in the 4-digit or low teen 5-digit values. I was lucky that my 2011 had Index 11 injectors so I only had to change one. Total cost for everything? <$200

- Download a copy of ISTA - search via google you will find multiple links - get the latest 'working' copy. I only had a 256GB SSD on my laptop and with Windows 10 I did not have enough space to store all the files locally so I purchased a 1TB USB3 HD from Best Buy for $50.

- Purchase a BMW ENET cable and a USB<->Ethernet adapter unless your PC has an ethernet port. I got a cable from Amazon (read the reviews!) for $20 and the adapter for another $10. Worth noting the first cable I got only worked a few times and then stopped connecting via ISTA...garbage.

ISTA has a built-in diagnostic for the injectors that will do a leak down test and a more thorough individual exam. This has to be done when the engine is COLD. I did a warm test just to prove this and it told me the entire Bank 1 and one injector from Bank 2 needed to be changed. I did it cold and it only came back with Injector 2.

*** If you have injectors with Index 10 or lower, ISTA advises you will have to replace all injectors in the bank where 1 or more have failed. If you have Index 11 or higher, you can replace one or more single failed injectors.

If you buy injectors from the dealer, use part # 13538648937 which is about half the cost of 13538616079 which is what is listed on RealOEM and the dealer will try to sell you. The dealer will sell the -37 part number as it is a 'saleable' item but was designed to be purchased in sets. FCP Euro has an article on this:

Purchase page:

There is a guide in ISTA that will walk you through changing injectors. There were numerous steps that I did not find were necessary but I encourage you to follow the procedure closely. The entire process took several hours.

Once you change injector(s), you will need to use ISTA to reset fuel adaptations and also code the new injectors based on the numbers listed on each.

Amazing writeup Thanks
      09-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #7
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

Great write-up.
It would be perfect if there are pictures enclosed.

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCM5 View Post

Purchase page:

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 07:11 AM   #9
ChesterCopperpot1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Bumping this thread. Recently — about 2 weeks ago — my 2011 550i started throwing a p0175 (system too rich bank 2). I drove it for a little bit, and then last night I am driving home the drivetrain malfunction light comes on. Car is running very rough. I could tell I wasn't firing on all cylinders.

I get the car home and immediately run the codes. It's a p0175, p0300, p0305, p0306, and p0308. Basically I have a misfire on bank 2, cyls. 5, 6, and 8. My thought is an injector failed, flooded the cylinder, and fouled the plug. I do not think 3 injectors all of the sudden failed. That would seem implausible.

My question is really 2 fold. Can someone, specifically explain, how to pinpoint the faulty
Injector, and I've read that the the car takes special injectors. I don't know the series on mine — I know OP has series 11 — as I've never had to look. Can OP or anyone offer any guidance.

BTW, most of the links in the original post no longer work.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 01:11 AM   #10
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCopperpot1 View Post
Bumping this thread. Recently — about 2 weeks ago — my 2011 550i started throwing a p0175 (system too rich bank 2). I drove it for a little bit, and then last night I am driving home the drivetrain malfunction light comes on. Car is running very rough. I could tell I wasn't firing on all cylinders.

I get the car home and immediately run the codes. It's a p0175, p0300, p0305, p0306, and p0308. Basically I have a misfire on bank 2, cyls. 5, 6, and 8. My thought is an injector failed, flooded the cylinder, and fouled the plug. I do not think 3 injectors all of the sudden failed. That would seem implausible.

My question is really 2 fold. Can someone, specifically explain, how to pinpoint the faulty
Injector, and I've read that the the car takes special injectors. I don't know the series on mine — I know OP has series 11 — as I've never had to look. Can OP or anyone offer any guidance.

what ended up being the issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #11
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m5 CP

Where can I find the torque specs for the I jector clip bolt? Is it 10lbs?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 04:33 PM   #12
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCopperpot1 View Post

Multiple misfires like this can be caused by a HPFP failure or in this specific case could be caused by a bad 02 sensor.

The best way to determine which cylinder is consistently misfiring is to use a scanner with a "misfire counter" such as the foxwell nt510, you can watch all of the cylinders at the same time and even drive it while connected. You will see if you have misfires on those cylinders or not.

If you have a scanner like the nt510 it can also deactivate injectors one by one so you can feel if the car shudders. Obviously if the car doesn't shudder when an injector is turned off than that injector is really not doing its job.

You can also test the 02 sensors with that scanner I believe.

The other, more old school method is to pull the plugs. The plug will tell you what's going on. If your injector is leaking the lug in that cylinder will be black and will smell like gas. This sounds like an un scientific method. But it works. I pulled all of my plugs the other day and two had bad injectors, were black, and smelled like gas. The others looked like healthy plugs.

These are my plugs from 1,2,3,4 where plug 1 is fouled after 750miles from a leaking injector.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
otay826.00
      03-12-2021, 08:35 AM   #13
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Awesome thread! Can't thank y'all enough for the knowledge share.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0