2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Cheap Ebay Strut Tower Bar Review

04-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #67
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
So I had a major gaffe on this review... I was testing my new endlinks and I pulled into the gas station to adjust my CO and make them a bit stiffer when i realized I JUST freaking CAPPED MY COIL OVER ADJUSTMENT NOB WITH THIS STRUT TOWER BAR...

fail. lol.
So if you have coil overs then you won’t be able to adjust the dampers with this bar on? Is the install just remove the top 3 bolts on each side and put the mount?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #68
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
so now that i got to do some spirit driving for the last few days here's my impression on the strut bar. if you've done some spirit driving with your car you know how your car responds and reacts to the different types of turns you make as well as how fast you are going. from my impressions i can totally tell a difference with this bar because like most of you...you know your car and when something's different or wrong with it you notice it right away. when coming into some normal S turns the car sticks pretty good. usually i feel a bit of body lean say if i'm going 40mph. with this the car feels pretty flat with no roll. i usually kinda lean into the turn with my body if that makes sense? now there was some pretty knarly bank turns that shows a speed limit of 40mph and i can take them at about 60mph. wheels didn't break contact and i can feel the car lean but it felt tight as it didn't feel like the car was loosing control. it just stuck the turn and it felt pretty good. not with round-abouts (for those that don't have them) it's just a round circle with no stops but exits so usually you're suppose to enter those like at 10-15 mph. usually my car has a lot of body roll into those as i have to slow down at times but with the strut bar in place i can totally feel that the body roll is gone and it just sticks now with applied gas. my last test was the 360 degree on ramps. i usually have a lot of body roll/lean and if i'm going fast enough the tires will break. i usually take these ramps pretty aggressive but now the car doesn't feel like it's leaning so much. again feels pretty planted and even when i really pushed it the tires never broke contact like it usually does. i could go on and on with different scenarios but i will say if you're thinking about getting these just for some handling improvements i totally recommend these!

Thx for the review! How does it impact the ride quality? H&R SWAY’S were a bit too much for me but they were super thick
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #69
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
Thx for the review! How does it impact the ride quality? H&R SWAY’S were a bit too much for me but they were super thick
ride quality doesn't change. only when you start driving aggressively like spirit driving do you notice the changes
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 09:45 PM   #70
John H.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i XDrive

Quote:
so now that i got to do some spirit driving for the last few days here's my impression on the strut bar. if you've done some spirit driving with your car you know how your car responds and reacts to the different types of turns you make as well as how fast you are going. from my impressions i can totally tell a difference with this bar because like most of you...you know your car and when something's different or wrong with it you notice it right away. when coming into some normal S turns the car sticks pretty good. usually i feel a bit of body lean say if i'm going 40mph. with this the car feels pretty flat with no roll. i usually kinda lean into the turn with my body if that makes sense? now there was some pretty knarly bank turns that shows a speed limit of 40mph and i can take them at about 60mph. wheels didn't break contact and i can feel the car lean but it felt tight as it didn't feel like the car was loosing control. it just stuck the turn and it felt pretty good. not with round-abouts (for those that don't have them) it's just a round circle with no stops but exits so usually you're suppose to enter those like at 10-15 mph. usually my car has a lot of body roll into those as i have to slow down at times but with the strut bar in place i can totally feel that the body roll is gone and it just sticks now with applied gas. my last test was the 360 degree on ramps. i usually have a lot of body roll/lean and if i'm going fast enough the tires will break. i usually take these ramps pretty aggressive but now the car doesn't feel like it's leaning so much. again feels pretty planted and even when i really pushed it the tires never broke contact like it usually does. i could go on and on with different scenarios but i will say if you're thinking about getting these just for some handling improvements i totally recommend these!
Good job!
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #71
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
So if you have coil overs then you won’t be able to adjust the dampers with this bar on? Is the install just remove the top 3 bolts on each side and put the mount?
Correct, it covers the adjustment knob if you don't have an external reservoir.

Now, for me it's not a BIG deal to pop off 3 bolts and adjust, after all it's not like I'm switching between track and daily driving all the time, lol. I put them on as soft as they would go because harder doesn't mean "Better" handling, plus with the H&R sways AND this bar, I got plenty of support.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 09:58 PM   #72
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:

Nice garage set up! I like the detailing cart, lol.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2020, 07:04 AM   #73
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Nice garage set up! I like the detailing cart, lol.
Thanks dude
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 10:18 AM   #74
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Correct, it covers the adjustment knob if you don't have an external reservoir.

Now, for me it's not a BIG deal to pop off 3 bolts and adjust, after all it's not like I'm switching between track and daily driving all the time, lol. I put them on as soft as they would go because harder doesn't mean "Better" handling, plus with the H&R sways AND this bar, I got plenty of support.
Interesting. When I've still been looking for the right settings on my megan coilovers haha.. I'm in the middle now settings now, stiffer up front.

Funny enough I emailed the eBay seller asking him if this issue of not fitting was resolved or if anyone has reported it to him.. and he says customers haven't mentioned that to him.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #75
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Interesting. When I've still been looking for the right settings on my megan coilovers haha.. I'm in the middle now settings now, stiffer up front.

Funny enough I emailed the eBay seller asking him if this issue of not fitting was resolved or if anyone has reported it to him.. and he says customers haven't mentioned that to him.
Ha, doesn't surprise me.. he simply said, Thanks for the link - I will forward it to the manufacturer. They don't care, he just wants to move product. And as I said before I'd buy it again cause it's working now - took some effort but you get what you pay for.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 01:05 PM   #76
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
You should send him this image.
Attached Images

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:05 PM   #77
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You should send him this image.
hahah I emailed him asking what the return/refund policy is if it doesn't fit. I don't feel like removing my heat insulation.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #78
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I was able to re-install my sound deadening.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 1
Sylverlee150.00