2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Comfort Access / no warning tones / battery drain?

04-16-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
therealet23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Comfort Access / no warning tones / battery drain?

So when I received my car, the battery was scarcely low and 3 of the comfort access handles do not work to lock or unlock the car. If i am near the car with the key and it is locked, I can pull on any handle to unlock it but the comfort access doesn’t work in the fashion that it should with the ridges to lock and just putting my hand behind the hand,e to unlock (and not pulling).

I had a Christmas tree for gauges and most of the electronics were cut off so I took the battery out and had it charged at Autozone. After installation all the lights cleared (except for tpms and it won’t reset) And the audio and warning tones came back (no amplifier issue). Still no comfort access on 3 handles. The next morning the car said no warning tones as well as battery drain but I did leave my car charger plugged in all night.

I have ordered 2 of the handles (so far) and plan to replace them when they arrive but has anyone experienced this before?

Before startup (after sitting all night and day) the volts were 12.1 and with the car running, 14.1. Could the faulty handles be the reason for my no warning tones/battery issue?

I haven’t been able to get the sound back since the error and I really don’t want to pull the battery again. The car cranks runs and drives great though.

These are the error codes from the hidden gauge cluster menu (no CEL):
B7F668 - System Time Was Reset - active 0
E11420 - KOMBI: ServiceCall cannot be executed - active 0

Thoughts?

Last edited by therealet23; 04-16-2019 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 12:35 AM   #2
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

Been thru this and know this all too well lol. Until you get ALL of the handles fixed, the car will continue to eat batteries and drive you insane. Been there...
      04-17-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
OrcaPod
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 528i N52 engine

I would try to replace car battery first and see if it fixes the issue. I had issues with comfort access/ battery drain on my 2011 528i. Charged battery few times overnight and it didn't help. Once i installed the new battery - issues were gone.
Appreciate 1
tet0010.00
      04-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
therealet23
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post
Been thru this and know this all too well lol. Until you get ALL of the handles fixed, the car will continue to eat batteries and drive you insane. Been there...
Ok I have 2 the handles on order and need the drivers rear. Anyone have one in carbon black?? Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
therealet23
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPod View Post
I would try to replace car battery first and see if it fixes the issue. I had issues with comfort access/ battery drain on my 2011 528i. Charged battery few times overnight and it didn't help. Once i installed the new battery - issues were gone.
Well the battery charged and it read good (it’s an one battery from 2017) granted it was on a very very low charge for months. Do you think the battery would effect the comfort access handles independent of one another? I don’t know that changing the battery would offset/fix the handle issue...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealet23 View Post
Ok I have 2 the handles on order and need the drivers rear. Anyone have one in carbon black?? Lol
Have 4... But they're attached to my car...
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2019, 11:32 PM   #7
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

You can check state of battery charge and histogram for battery in ISTA/D

While not definitive it's available data that can help you make a decision.

Or if your battery is close to 7 years I would just change it.
      04-18-2019, 12:36 AM   #8
therealet23
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yea can’t I do that with bimmercode and veepack? I hear that with ISTA you can get super granular but I don’t think my old win laptop has 100gb hard drive. Not to mention I don’t know what cords to get and such. I didn get info on ista and esys but it looks very complicated. The most I’d want to do is code basic things (code out comfort access until i find h 4th handle) and potentially swap in a 6wa cluster.

My battery is oem from 9/2017
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
therealet23
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngofpop View Post
You mind telling me exactly what you went through and how you resolved it?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:06 PM   #10
therealet23
Enlisted Member
Rep

I replaced the two handles and I’m back in business with comfort access!! I just disconnected the rear door comfort access until I find the replacement handle (I’m surprised bmw had comfort access on all four doors. I think my old e90 m3 only had it on the front two). Crazy thing is when I took out the handles, the f01 stamp was on them so they already were replaced once. Hopefully these ones last a lot longer. If they don’t, that feature is getting coded out.

Now to get my sound back... do I need to charge the battery 100% again like at autozone or does anyone know of another way to reenanble the sound/warning tones? I don’t believe my amp is bad as when I charged my battery at autozone and put it back in the car, all of the sounds worked fine. Then the next day I got the battery drain warning with no warning tones (again which i think the handles had something to do with it). Any help?
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      04-24-2019, 06:29 AM   #11
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Now to get my sound back... do I need to charge the battery 100% again like at autozone or does anyone know of another way to reenanble the sound/warning tones? I don’t believe my amp is bad as when I charged my battery at autozone and put it back in the car, all of the sounds worked fine. Then the next day I got the battery drain warning with no warning tones (again which i think the handles had something to do with it). Any help?
If the car's own IBS system is kicking in to disable systems because of a weak battery or malfunctioning modules in the car, bypassing the IBS when charging the battery (e.g. outside of the car or directly at the battery terminals) will just confuse it further. The IBS watches voltage, temperature, and energy entering/leaving the battery at all times, even when the car is off. For it to monitor energy in/out, the charging current must flow through the IBS, which doesn't happen when you charge at the battery terminals.

1/ you can get the battery load tested on a bench to determine its condition authoritatively.

2/ you should overnight slow/trickle charge the battery via the under hood terminals. The IBS watching the charge current entering the battery and the voltage rising until everything is at 100% and then knows that the battery is once again fully charged.

3/ If you get a new battery, register it. There are lots of different ways to do this, in particular apps. I noticed the MHD flasher app can even do it, and you might be able to run that part for free if you have the right cable. If you used the same or nearly the same capacity as the original battery no need to code - if you got a different capacity battery you should code the car to best match the battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #12
therealet23
Enlisted Member
Rep

I trickle charged it and it’s 100% full and still low warning tones. I checked all the radio fuses and those are all fine too. I know the sound system works cause it worked after I removed the battery, charged it at Autozone, and put it back in the car a couple days later.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #13
therealet23
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I trickle charged it and it’s 100% full and still low warning tones. I checked all the radio fuses and those are all fine too. I know the sound system works cause it worked after I removed the battery, charged it at Autozone, and put it back in the car a couple days later.

Any thoughts?
So I disconnect the battery (both positive and negative) and charged it directly until it was full. Then i reconnected it and I have sound again!! I drove the car out last night and the car has sat for 12 hours since then and.... I still have sound!! I am pretty sure the handles were the culprit.

I believe disconnecting the battery completely from the car and reconnecting it back when it’s full charged, reset something which re enabled the sound.

Only thing left to do it figure out why the tpms won’t reset and the car will be good to go mechanically.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 07:30 PM   #14
therealet23
Enlisted Member
Rep

Spoke too soon... no warning tones back. Any other ideas? Would the tpms have anything to do with it? It may be time to buy veepack and BimmerCode...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 03:15 AM   #15
therealet23
Enlisted Member
Rep

Fixed. I didn’t do anything but keep driving it around. Haven’t had it on the trickle charger for over a week and I have audio and warning tones. Change your handles, charge your battery, and drive!!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #16
Danster535D
Rep
Drives: 2014 535D xdrive

Smile F10 Comfort access issues

Hi Guys first time posting new member.
I have a 2014 535D with intermittent Comfort access issues.
The issues are as follows.
- Sometimes the doors will not lock or unlock via touching the door handles, then if I take the key out of my pocket all 4 doors seem to work.
- Sometimes when one of the doors is opened while the car is running the key not found comes on in the cluster.
- Another issue is the trunk where again intermittently I push the trunk lock button and it does not lock or close but when I push only the close button it closes.

After reading many posts and fixes still no solution.
So here is what I have done so far.
1- I have removed all door handles and checked the connections.
2- I exchanged the right front handle with the right rear handle and still same issues.
3- I took the CA antenna out of the center console ans swapped it with one in the trunk. Still same issue.
4- After reading cell phones may interfere I also did tests and still same intermittent issues.

But good news as I AM GONNA FIGURE THIS OUT FOR ALL OF US!
I have my old 2013 F10 550i with comfort access working perfectly and I have the car for 2.5 weeks to swap out parts with and hopefully will figure this out.

Please offer me suggestions as I am starting with swiping the drivers door handles.
BTW I am a new member so I hope I am doing this right
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danster535D View Post
Hi Guys first time posting new member.
I have a 2014 535D with intermittent Comfort access issues.
The issues are as follows.
- Sometimes the doors will not lock or unlock via touching the door handles, then if I take the key out of my pocket all 4 doors seem to work.
- Sometimes when one of the doors is opened while the car is running the key not found comes on in the cluster.
- Another issue is the trunk where again intermittently I push the trunk lock button and it does not lock or close but when I push only the close button it closes.

Please offer me suggestions as I am starting with swiping the drivers door handles.
BTW I am a new member so I hope I am doing this right

Got to ask... the obvious, (assuming good batteries) are both key fobs behaving the same way?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #18
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

I also wonder about batteries ..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 07:43 AM   #19
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Thought I should chime in as I had a somewhat similar issue with my right rear door. If you don't want to replace the handle, you can unplug the comfort access cable and no more battery drain and random unlocking. I have no intention of ever replacing it as it is the rear.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #20
Manny_GT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
Thought I should chime in as I had a somewhat similar issue with my right rear door. If you don't want to replace the handle, you can unplug the comfort access cable and no more battery drain and random unlocking. I have no intention of ever replacing it as it is the rear.
Good morning. How do you unplug the comfort access cable? I fear my battery is draining as well... Thanks.
      06-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #21
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_GT View Post
Quote:
Good morning. How do you unplug the comfort access cable? I fear my battery is draining as well... Thanks.
https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780386

Very easy
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 11:07 PM   #22
Manny_GT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535i GT

Quote:
Thanks for the link!