2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK New Car Order - Adaptive Drive (Option 2VA) - worth the £2770

11-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #45
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
So with AD, are you aware of every imperfection in the road? or does it smooth that out and provide a softer ride but without the wallow?
On my msport suspension with 19 inch wheels, I am certainly aware of any imperfection in the roads surface and along with tramlining, even the paint on the road markings is obvious!

These posts mean that when I consider my next car (which will be years off at his stage), I'd certainly have a look at AD.
The imperfections get smoothed out because of Variable Damper Control (which is part of AD) - at least that is what I believe. And the wallow is controlled by the ARB.

I have 19" wheels now but I had 17" wheels without VDC/AD on a previous F10; and I can say that even with 19", the smoothness is near equivalent to 17". Our roads are not too bad though.

The ride with AD seems to be controlled (soft, cushioned and yet stable).

As Highland Pete had pointed in a post before (either this forum or another) that a lot of people believe a sport setting has to be harsh and feel everything on the road.
The AD gives you a sure footed feeling without losing the comfort; AD provides ride comfort (imperfections in the road) without compromising stability/ control.
      11-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #46
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535d MSport

AP,

I ordered a 535d with AD after driving a 530d with regular M Sport suspension and a 535d M Sport with AD back-to-back. Both had 19" wheels, but I ordered 18".

The differences I noted were:

530d was your regular firm/conventional setup with hard low profile tyres. So pretty jiggly on normal straight roads, but quite nice when cornering.

535d could dial out the jiggle out a bit with the VDC in Comfort. But the ride was better than that - on a normal straight road it did none of that "bouncing your head left and right" caused by the stiff ARBs. The ride was really rather nice. You then get carried away and go for Comfort+, which is a little too wallowy for me. But hoof it into a roundabout and it's back on rails again - cornering as flat as a pancake, and a lot better than the regular M Sport 530d.

For me, the big win was the secondary ride quality when driving straight at a constant speed. The cornering amusement is a secondary bonus.

Looking forward to my car, which should be better again, with 18"s and (asap) non-RFT tyres.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #47
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
So with AD, are you aware of every imperfection in the road? or does it smooth that out and provide a softer ride but without the wallow?
On my msport suspension with 19 inch wheels, I am certainly aware of any imperfection in the roads surface and along with tramlining, even the paint on the road markings is obvious!
The active suspensions work on the idea of "soft where possible, firm when necessary". Not everyone's cup of tea, if we think sport means we ought to feel it is firm (even harsh) all of the time.

I've mentioned before that AD proves its worth, particularly on poor road surfaces, even in Sport mode, where the working envelope is much wider than a passive sport system. Single wheel bumps are much reduced, without copy across the car. Plus we have the options of best base setting for our conditions.

An observation on the Comfort mode (Comfort+ on later models) when loaded you'd expect it to float about a bit more, but I've found the opposite, it is better planted than when it is just me in the car. A loaded car on the motorway in Comfort mode is a very smooth and controlled ride.

The other clear benefit of AD is front to rear balance through the twisty stuff. Moderate driving gives a neutral handling balance, edges towards understeer as you press on harder. Plus due to the ARS function, helps steering precision and agility.

I'd have liked to have tried IAS (the rear steering) that is supposed to 'shrink' the car even more, enhancing the driving dynamics.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #48
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

thanks guys for those answers.
As I say, for next car, whenever that is, it's a must to try out.

(I do still wish I had my E39 msport at times! - but that's another thread!)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 04:17 AM   #49
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
thanks guys for those answers.
As I say, for next car, whenever that is, it's a must to try out.

(I do still wish I had my E39 msport at times! - but that's another thread!)
I had an E39 touring with M-tech suspension and 17" wheels, I'd say the F11 with AD is a better balance of handling/ride quality. OK my E39 was the V8 and loaded with kit like double glazing, so a heavy version of the model, but do feel the F11 has the edge, in part due to being able to dial in the most appropriate suspension mode.

My complaint with the E39 was at lower speeds on poor roads I'd often tell passengers "the ride is better at speed", "smooths out" which of course it did. Don't have that issue in the F11.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #50
mikimedic
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d xdrive

Dynamic Dumper Control and modes

I wonder if anyone who has AD can shed a bit more experience. I DON'T have it in my configuration (530d xdrive), as I only ordered option 223 DYNAMIC DAMPER CONTROL.

However, I do have all of the following modes:

- ECOPRO
- COMFORT
- COMFORT +
- SPORT
- SPORT +

Is this normal if I don't have 2VA option (Adaptive Drive).
The catalogue explains that 2VA contains COMFORT + mode; while there is no detailed explanation of 223. Do I have by any chance the Adaptive Drive???

2VA Adaptive Drive. includes option code 223 'Dynamic Damper
Control'. Individually selectable suspension setup
(including 'Comfort+'). Reduces the tendency of
the vehicle's superstructure to roll when cornering
to a minimum. Also includes the Dynamic Drive
function and so reduces the roll of the vehicle
body that occurs when cornering at high speed
or taking sudden evasive action. The system is
based on active anti-roll bars at the front and rear
axles and it is in constant operation when the car
is on the move.
The Driving Experience Control includes 'Comfort
+' as an additional function
M550d xDrive:
Comfort + mode not available

223 Dynamic Dumper Control

reduces disturbing vehicle movements to a
minimum, as the shock absorbers automatically
adapt to all road conditions.
For M5: "Comfort", "Sport" and "Sport Plus"
selectable by means of the Driving Dynamic
Control switch

Last edited by mikimedic; 09-29-2016 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #51
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikimedic View Post
I wonder if anyone who has AD can shed a bit more experience. I DON'T have it in my configuration (530d xdrive), as I only ordered option 223 DYNAMIC DAMPER CONTROL.

- ECOPRO
- COMFORT
- COMFORT +
- SPORT
- SPORT +

The catalogue explains that 2VA contains COMFORT + mode; while there is no detailed explanation of 223. Do I have by any chance the Adaptive Drive???
223 will have Comfort+ mode. You have the same three base modes for the damping as 2VA.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, but if you want to physically check for 2VA, take a look under the rear of the car and see if the roll bar has the hydraulic unit mid position.

Look under from the rear nearside corner, to the subframe. You'll see the unit on the roll bar, (a bit bigger than a baked bean tin) with the pipes and hoses coming out from it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #52
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

- ECOPRO
- COMFORT
- COMFORT +
- SPORT
- SPORT +

2VA Adaptive Drive. includes option code 223 'Dynamic Damper
Control'. Individually selectable suspension setup
(including 'Comfort+'). Reduces the tendency of
the vehicle's superstructure to roll when cornering
to a minimum. Also includes the Dynamic Drive
function and so reduces the roll of the vehicle
body that occurs when cornering at high speed
or taking sudden evasive action. The system is
based on active anti-roll bars at the front and rear
axles and it is in constant operation when the car
is on the move.
The Driving Experience Control includes 'Comfort
+' as an additional function
M550d xDrive:
Comfort + mode not available

223 Dynamic Dumper Control

reduces disturbing vehicle movements to a
minimum, as the shock absorbers automatically
adapt to all road conditions.
For M5: "Comfort", "Sport" and "Sport Plus"
selectable by means of the Driving Dynamic
Control switch
You will have all the driving modes, that is expected. The extra bits that come with Adaptive Drive are 'Active Roll Bars'.
You will have the same suspension as DDC (also called VDC), but not the additional stability setup because of the roll bars.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 03:40 AM   #53
mikimedic
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
223 will have Comfort+ mode. You have the same three base modes for the damping as 2VA.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, but if you want to physically check for 2VA, take a look under the rear of the car and see if the roll bar has the hydraulic unit mid position.

Look under from the rear nearside corner, to the subframe. You'll see the unit on the roll bar, (a bit bigger than a baked bean tin) with the pipes and hoses coming out from it.
Thanks! if 223 also has a comfort + mode than most likely I don't have it, it was just a wishful thinking... In any case, will check and report back.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 03:55 AM   #54
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! if 223 also has a comfort + mode than most likely I don't have it, it was just a wishful thinking... In any case, will check and report back.
If Highland Pete says 'No' - then it means no

... believe in his judgement.
      09-30-2016, 12:34 PM   #55
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Hi,

I am about to press the button on a custom order 535D. I am thinking of ordering this with Adaptive Drive (Option 2VA). Is it worth the money?

A bit of a background...

I had a 520 with VDC (Variable Damper Control - Option 223) and am convinced I would not buy a car without it. The VDC difference in driving is very much noticeable. I then swapped this for a 535D (the 2.0 just did not have enough oomph); again with VDC and as before, no complaints - love the ride. This was on 18" wheels.

I am now going in for another 535. Should I update to Adaptive Drive? I am also looking to get 19" wheels this time or should I stick to the 18s?

So, any first hand experiences of Adaptive Drive with 19" - Is it worth the extra money over VDC?.
(I am definitely buying at least the VDC; no debate there)

Highland Pete: Any comments - I am aware you are a fan.

Other users: Please shed some light and some feedback
VDC yes NO to the other IMO, I have the same Individual 535D M Sport coming in 2/3 weeks.
VDC on it.
      09-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #56
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
VDC yes NO to the other IMO, I have the same Individual 535D M Sport coming in 2/3 weeks.
VDC on it.
John, I bought my car in Oct 2014, almost 2 years now. I went with the Adaptive Drive, and have to say: it's money well spent. Not a single day of regret.

I have probably said this before (as has Highland Pete); the AD is expensive for a reason. It's that good and worth every penny.

It just changes the car. VDC gives great comfort, but AD gives immense stability and agility that is unbelievable for a large car like a F10.

Would I order it again - every time, without question?
      09-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #57
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
John, I bought my car in Oct 2014, almost 2 years now. I went with the Adaptive Drive, and have to say: it's money well spent. Not a single day of regret.

I have probably said this before (as has Highland Pete); the AD is expensive for a reason. It's that good and worth every penny.

It just changes the car. VDC gives great comfort, but AD gives immense stability and agility that is unbelievable for a large car like a F10.

Would I order it again - every time, without question?
Agree with your comments.

For me Dynamic Drive, the active roll control part (ARS) of AD, is the part we benefit from most in the 5-series.

I know many don't really get what it is doing, but for me it is technical brilliance, solves a lot of the negatives we have with passive suspensions, particularly the compromises we have with fixed rate roll bars.

Besides controlling roll in the bends, shrinking the car and making it more agile, it tunes understeer and oversteer according to speed and load transfer. Allows a more neutral handling chassis, across a wider working envelope. In the touring with rear self levelling air suspension, makes for a very good drive.

Plus we have two automatic roll control programs, one for Comfort and Comfort+, a more sport orientated program for Sport and Sport+.

After living with AD for over 4-years, it would be the option I would miss most of all in a 5-series. You can run softer suspension without losing body control.
Appreciate 1
gspannu198.50